•  

Lens Lovers Club - Evening Star Photography Meetup Session - 12 Feb 2021

Frederic

According to the Moon Cycles, @Mikhail Lukichev found out that the evening and night on 12-13 Feb 2021 is going to be excellent for night photography! We will have an almost new moon which will hide below the horizon right after the sunset. 

The plan is to have a meetup with max. 10 members to practice and enjoy the art of night photography and learn from each other. Bring whatever camera you have and have a look at the advisable settings in your camera manual or ask in the forum. After the event you can publish your photos in our gallery !

There will be no need for deflation, but please bring your offroad tools as you would do for a regular offroad drive. (pressure gauge, deflator, compressor).

What to bring:
headlamp and/or flashlight, warm clothing, camping chair, Camera or Smartphone, tripod, film/memory cards, extra battery, Recommended Lens(es).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hello everyone! 

Thanks for joining us!

Since we are going to take some stars photos, we need to have some basic equipment with us. If you do not have something, probably, you will not be able to get desired result. 

However, equipment list is very basic:

1) tripod suitable for your camera. There is no need to have an expensive tripod, however, if your camera and lens is heavy, sturdy tripod would be handy

2) DSLR or mirrorless camera able to shoot in raw with exposure time up to 20 seconds. If you do not have one, you can try to shoot with a simple point and shoot camera or phone, but lack of settings could be an issue. If you have a camera but not sure if it is suitable or not, feel free to ask here!

3) wide angle lens. Actually, any kit lens should work fine. Do not bring your telephoto lens or a portrait lens this time, we will not use it. Again, if your are not sure what to bring with you, feel free to ask!

4) a bit of adhesive tape would be handy but not mandatory

5) fully charged battery for your camera

6) red light headlamp. Red light helps a lot operating your camera and not overstressing your eyes

That's it!

Kindly let us know what camera and lens you are planning to bring so we can check if it is suitable beforehand.

Thanks!

Edited by Mikhail Lukichev
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

You can expect to get pictures similar to this one!

By the way, it was my first off-road trip on a rented Pajero which convinced me to buy my own 4x4 😃

DSC_7803.jpg.2b912bfb3d979c67b25a5b62005032b1.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 3

I found this online:

https://photographylife.com/landscapes/how-to-focus-for-star-photography

Not sure if its helpful. I have very little experience in shooting stars, and using manual focus will take me a while too. Love to engage in talking with others and learn a lot that evening !

I have my eyes on a Samyang14mm 2.8 Ultrawide lens i might be picking up secondhand (inshallah). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Frederic said:

I found this online:

https://photographylife.com/landscapes/how-to-focus-for-star-photography

Not sure if its helpful. I have very little experience in shooting stars, and will using manual focus will take me a while too. Love to engage in talking with others and learn a lot that evening !

I have my eyes on a Samyang14mm 2.8 Ultrawide lens i might be picking up secondhand (inshallah). 

Samyang 14mm F2.8 is a great option!

By the way, autofocus is not needed. We will focus manually and tape the focus ring after 😃

• WOW (+2) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Frederic will you also be trying a few shots with the iphone?  if so do i need to download any special software to allow me to play with the exposure time?  

@Mikhail Lukichev HUGE kudos to you for making this happen!  the list is a great idea and only item i am missing is the red light headlamp so will pick one up before the trip!  

my camera gear for the trip:

• Nikon 3300
  • Kit Lens 18-55mm 3.5-5.6
  • Tripod (basic but sturdy)

excited for this first astro drive!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

@Frederic will you also be trying a few shots with the iphone?  if so do i need to download any special software to allow me to play with the exposure time?  

@Mikhail Lukichev HUGE kudos to you for making this happen!  the list is a great idea and only item i am missing is the red light headlamp so will pick one up before the trip!  

my camera gear for the trip:

• Nikon 3300
  • Kit Lens 18-55mm 3.5-5.6
  • Tripod (basic but sturdy)

excited for this first astro drive!

Hi @Niki Patel yes i will definitely try the iphone as well. Have tried playing with Camera+ app but was confused. I will be trying Night Mode as well:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brette said:

Would have loved to come but would most likely be camping at Al quaa on this weekend. Hopefully can make it for the next one. 

If you are camping in Al Qaa please take some night shots and share them as this is the darkest spot of UAE :)

Have fun !

• Like (+1) 2

@Frederic hhhmmm not to be sounding ungrateful knowing you and @Mikhail Lukichev have set up a photography drive!.... however reading the above ... how about a joint camping + photography drive to Al Qaa in Feb/March? 😳🙏🏽😳

Hearing about it being the darkest spot in the UAE ... what a great combination?  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use