•  
Advertise here

Xterra replacement stereo, GPS system advice

I would like to change the standard system I have in the X for something that will support Gaia GPS and Apple Car play. 

@Nivin I hear from @Shamil that you have a pretty good set up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Pioneer or Sony ? 

mirror the phone or built in GPS? (Is that even a thing? ) 

the old unit will be replaced in its entirety , is it possible to have a perfect fit? I don’t want wobbles 

• Like (+1) 3

Most of the stuff is supporting the android system not IOS in X . However what are you suggesting Angela is worth digging to find out as my I phone holder , one more jump , and game over ! 

I have an android build in from previous owner and I don’t wana shift from apple which I am using since appeared in this lovely country !

• Like (+1) 4

Okay so here is what I have found.

Firstly we need something like the pic below , which is available online and can be installed by any decent audio place (or yourself if you are handy)

Then the dilemma really begins. There are aftermarket units that have CarPlay (for IOS lovers)and I've been recommended both Sony and Pioneer. 

The choice is very much dependent on your own needs. I personally want an upgrade to the stock system for better screen clarity
and primarily for Gaia GPS.  Therefore, screen quality(resolution) and ease/response of the touchscreen, is important and I still want all the features of the current system. 

With the units I have seen you simply attach your phone via usb and the device will mirror the phone. Therefore Gaia etc will work.

I did look at some aftermarket navigation receivers but they don't appear to allow you to add maps. I'm all for Waze and Google but not when I'm up to my neck in sand in the middle of Lisalli, Therefore that option would appear to be obsolete. (please anyone correct me if I am wrong) 

Below are 2 units that other Xterra owners have recommended

Sony-XAV-AX5000-Stereo-Receiver

Pioneer-AVH-210EX

dash kit.jpg

• Like (+1) 5

I am realy not sure which brand the previous owner put I never asked . However I could just mirror my I phone screen to the android screen 

3458DD02-7591-4421-8A91-0D6404667289.jpeg

1472FEBD-98F0-4988-8963-1C2D90D79041.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Okay so here is what I have found.

Firstly we need something like the pic below , which is available online and can be installed by any decent audio place (or yourself if you are handy)

Then the dilemma really begins. There are aftermarket units that have CarPlay (for IOS lovers)and I've been recommended both Sony and Pioneer. 

The choice is very much dependent on your own needs. I personally want an upgrade to the stock system for better screen clarity
and primarily for Gaia GPS.  Therefore, screen quality(resolution) and ease/response of the touchscreen, is important and I still want all the features of the current system. 

With the units I have seen you simply attach your phone via usb and the device will mirror the phone. Therefore Gaia etc will work.

I did look at some aftermarket navigation receivers but they don't appear to allow you to add maps. I'm all for Waze and Google but not when I'm up to my neck in sand in the middle of Lisalli, Therefore that option would appear to be obsolete. (please anyone correct me if I am wrong) 

Below are 2 units that other Xterra owners have recommended

Sony-XAV-AX5000-Stereo-Receiver

Pioneer-AVH-210EX

dash kit.jpg

I agree with Sony now, initially I thought it was Sony AX3000 but later changed mind to 5000. Here is the comparison.

Reddit - CarPlay - Sony XAV-AX3000 vs XAV-AX5000

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Janarthan said:

I agree with Sony now, initially I thought it was Sony AX3000 but later changed mind to 5000. Here is the comparison.

Reddit - CarPlay - Sony XAV-AX3000 vs XAV-AX5000

Hmmm the anri glare in the 5000 would make it worth the extra bucks.

One of the things I hate about the stock screen is the glare, you can't see a thing at times.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 1 month later...

Well I did it! I took the plunge and parted with some $$$ to upgrade the stereo. I mentioned previously the number 1 priority was to have my GPS interface on a bigger , clearer screen.

I went with the Sony xav-5000 and was eager to try it out . Tonight I had the opportunity to do so and I have to admit I was very impressed and thought it a huge improvement. Aside from the physical size (6,95inches) it also has a crystal clear screen and easy to zoom functions. I followed the track easily and could quickly identify more technical areas that weren't suitable for the drive (fewbie) . 

It made a huge difference to me (as a lead) In the past I would have to stop and zoom in on the phone to read the dunes, not anymore though.  My iphone is also relieved as it's no longer flying around being smashed to pieces :lol:

Note of caution, I needed to upgrade the rear camera too as the unit is 12v and the stock camera is 6v, this added an additional 300 to the cost. 

p.s. aside from navigation functionality, the additional bells and whistles are handy too. I love that it reads my messages from whatsapp etc and can compose them too via Siri. 

B498B767-D4F4-4D2E-A3FE-C17E2A23C7F0.jpeg

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 4

12 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Well I did it! I took the plunge and parted with some $$$ to upgrade the stereo. I mentioned previously the number 1 priority was to have my GPS interface on a bigger , clearer screen.

I went with the Sony xav-5000 and was eager to try it out . Tonight I had the opportunity to do so and I have to admit I was very impressed and thought it a huge improvement. Aside from the physical size (6,95inches) it also has a crystal clear screen and easy to zoom functions. I followed the track easily and could quickly identify more technical areas that weren't suitable for the drive (fewbie) . 

It made a huge difference to me (as a lead) In the past I would have to stop and zoom in on the phone to read the dunes, not anymore though.  My iphone is also relieved as it's no longer flying around being smashed to pieces :lol:

Note of caution, I needed to upgrade the rear camera too as the unit is 12v and the stock camera is 6v, this added an additional 300 to the cost. 

p.s. aside from navigation functionality, the additional bells and whistles are handy too. I love that it reads my messages from whatsapp etc and can compose them too via Siri. 

B498B767-D4F4-4D2E-A3FE-C17E2A23C7F0.jpeg

That looks amazing Angela, you'll need to demonstrate that to me this weekend !

You mean to say SIRI understands what you are saying ? I always thought it was behaving like this elevator that could not understand "ELEVEN"
🤣

• Haha (+1) 7

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, Frederic said:

That looks amazing Angela, you'll need to demonstrate that to me this weekend !

You mean to say SIRI understands what you are saying ? I always thought it was behaving like this elevator that could not understand "ELEVEN"
🤣

I have Scottish Siri  😝

All joking aside I'm gobsmacked at how well it manages to write messages I dictate and follow voice commands in general. 

• Like (+1) 3