•  
Advertise here

Xterra replacement stereo, GPS system advice

2 hours ago, Niki Patel said:

@Foxtrot Oscar did you add any additional Microphones or how did you set up the mics with this upgraded headset.  @Ahab Shamaa and I are keen to upgrade the mics in our FJs as they are useless (for calls and siri) thanks

Yes and additional external mic was fitted . I think it came with the Sony unit . I just handed it over to car audio guys and let them do the work 😅

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Yes and additional external mic was fitted . I think it came with the Sony unit . I just handed it over to car audio guys and let them do the work 😅

👍🏽 Thank you!  Great setup and thanks for sharing all the details. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Niki Patel said:

@Foxtrot Oscar did you add any additional Microphones or how did you set up the mics with this upgraded headset.  @Ahab Shamaa and I are keen to upgrade the mics in our FJs as they are useless (for calls and siri) thanks

Please @Niki Patel and @Ahab Shamaa, should you have good setup to share it. I have a large android screen which is useless and not able to make use of it.

• Like (+1) 2

Angela @Foxtrot Oscar, you sneaky thing! Congratulations on your CarPlay system 😀 Integration is really awesome, and CarPlay rocks!

As to Dr. Seidam @Mohamed Seidam, mentioning Android and anything related to it to an iPhone owner/user is blasphemy! Just sayin’ 😀  

@Niki Patel and @Hisham Masaad,

I spoke to an shop in Dubai over the phone, and they said the can add more microphones to the FJ for better voice detection/reception.
Currently, I only have one microphone installed on the A pillar of my FJ, which came with my CarPlay Pioneer unit. 
In comparison, newer cars have 8 to 12 microphones installed throughout the cabin 😳

In any event, I’m gonna visit the shop imminently and I’ll let you guys know what transpires 😀 @Niki Patel, perhaps you can call the guys who did your audio upgrades and ask them as well? This way we’ll have more choices 😀

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Ahab Shamaa will do and look out for feedback from that Audio store on options!

@Mohamed Seidam happy to share my experience and setup. 

• I have a stock (from 2021 models onwards) 12.3" non-branded Android powered Head-unit that offers Android Auto (and mirroring for older phones) plus Apple Car Play (this is the only reason @Ahab Shamaa agrees to be a friend) 
    • From my research its a Chinese brand called Belsee for the headunit 

My experience and learning: 

1. DO NOT pair with Bluetooth AND a cable .  If you are connecting via a cable for Android Auto / Apple Car Play delete your Bluetooth connection to the headunit.  This confuses my unit with regards which mic/speaker/signal to process for different inputs (music, maps, calls, whatsapp, siri, etc).

2. if like me you do not have a manual for your head-unit - there are a few menus and setting that can make a massive improvement to the phone-connected-experience.  for mine i learnt it via the dealership sending me a short video of a 'hidden' menu (it was less obviously located vs hidden) 

@Mohamed Seidam I am likely to remain a 'forever fewbie' based on my lack of desire to have the adrenaline rush of Intermediate drives SO if you ever feel like stepping back into a Fewbie drive and we are together i will happily share the way i have set up the headunit and the menu/settings that made a difference.  

I do have an older Android phone (Samsung galaxy 8+ which i will set up and share experience with this weekend - look out for a follow up including pics of the settings etc) 

My general review and experience with an aftermarket, non branded Android powered head-unit is below: (my recommendation is don't buy non-brand Chinese head-units and stick with the Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Kenwood, etc as you may compromise on screen size but the listening experience is a different league) 

• The sound processing and amp quality is 1/10
    • I would have been better off with the stock head unit for processing and amplification of sound as the Belsee is very weak)
    • I upgraded the speakers and added sound proofing a few months back (very happy with the work they did)
    • I plan to add an amplifier as a next upgrade to address the weak audio performance created by the head-unit 
  • 12.3" screen is 10/10
    • Size is a game changer vs stock/smaller screen as no matter what mode you run the display the maps look great and easy to read
    • i can imagine using a true GPS app on this will be an amazing experience
    • touch screen works well
  • screen quality 8/10 
    • it has a screen protector that i thought was an anti-glare layer however soon realised due to the poor visibility of the FJ, its like we are always sitting in the dark no matter time of day ... lol.. so glare is never a real issue
    • its plenty bright as a result (likely benefiting from the 'basement' lighting experience of an FJ
  • Microphone quality 1/10
    • Audio for others calling me is very poor - difficult for them to hear me.
    • Siri is a poor experience 
    • Explaining my excitement to hear Angela was able to make Siri understand Scotish led me to believe i should keep faith that microphones can be improved!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Wow! That is one lucid, comprehensive and well thought of commentary @Niki Patel! You never cease to amaze me 😀 Thank you my friend for being such a great resource to the community 🙏🏻
As to you remaining in Fewbie forever, I’m not buying it 😜 I think you will feel it when it’s time for you to drive at a higher level. You’re doing the right thing though. Don’t push it, and let the next level come to you...

See you all on the sand soon 😘

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Niki Patel I have to say I am impressed with your detailed refined resourcing really 👍 however regarding staying fewbie forever if for the adrenaline control I have free consultation methods how to control it 🤣 and one clue to it as @Ahab Shamaa said it will come naturally . I my self was just waiting for this moment and when came I applied for IM level ( despite my eligibility from others perspective ) .. and from time to time it’s nice to drive with newbie / fiewbie to supercharge for more Action packed “adrenaline controlled “ drive 😉

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Nice write up @Niki Patel. Like @Ahab Shamaa and Dr @Mohamed Seidam pointed out, Fewbie forever, good luck. It will come to you naturally. Intermediate drives are not something to be scared off. Just like Fewbie teaches you a few more tricks than Newbie level, similarly Intermediate level comes with its own tips and tricks. Extreme drives recently launched are the high flyers club. It took me 3 years when I started off-roading to gather the courage to go to places like Sweihan and Liwa.  But after visiting those places I realized what I has missed out for 3 years due go my fear. The techniques don't change, but the more you challenge yourself in a safe environment, the better you get. With experience comes excellence. I'm sure when the time is right you'll step forward and ask us for your promotion. I've recently driven twice with you and can safely say, you're doing well at Fewbie and I love your control both steering and throttle. I will be waiting for you on the other side to hold your hand and guide you through it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1