•  

Order of Mods 😁

Zed

Excited today cos I just renewed my Carnity Subscription and got a sweet deal on an LC-100 V8 😁

InshAllah I will join next Carnity drives (if they're in Abu Dhabi), and so with an old car, it's time to turn this off-roading thing into a hobby (hobby = something you'll spend monthly on 🤣 )

To all the seniors who've modded their cars, what do you think the order should be? (no such thing as 100% right order, so preference opinions are fine)

For the list below, my order of preference is ABCD. If you think I should do differently, please advise why, so it'll add to my learning 🙏

A. Change tires.
After extensive research (reading hours until midnight), it seems my LC-100 can fit 285/75x16 without rubbing. Options are:

• Kumho Road Venture AT51 (what https://www.pitstoparabia.com/  offers if I type 285/75x16). These tires will give extra 1" lift without suspension kit.
  • Stay with stock size 275/70x16 which means I can go for Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 or BFGoodrich T/A KO2 (premium! 😭)

B. Lift 1.5",
cos anything more would require diff-drop. If I opt for the Kumho 285/75x16, maybe it will be total 2.5" lift achievement ? 

C. Beadlock wheels
Beadlock technology (or BeadGrip if using Method wheels) supposedly hug your tires tighter to prevent tyre pop-out. Considering I've experienced a rollover with popped-up tires (not sure if the tires popped during the flip or before the flip), maybe this is a safe investment? My only problem is my lack of knowledge in this department cos the stock wheel spec is 8Jx16 ET60, which means 16" diameter rim, 8" width rim with 60mm offset. I can see beadlock wheels in 16x8 spec, but most offset is 30mm instead of 60mm, so not sure if it fits?

D. Bash plates
to protect the underbody...

Anything else to add to the list that is important as a first series of mods? Thanks in advance folks...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Great research and definitely agree with the tire change, but why do you need the lift kit without even taking it for its maiden voyage. Bash plate is again a good idea and should be number 1 or number 2 in your list. Why do you want to spend so much on beadlock rims? How many pop-outs did you have so far on your LC100? Do you know what is the perfect tire pressure for you in the sand? Do you know why you got the pop-out? Have you tried changing your drive style? I have been driving 12 years in the desert and had a pop-out only twice and never got beadlock rims.

I suggest start from a couple of newbie drives to get a hand of your new ride and decide on what you need rather than going at your ride before even taking it to the sand.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Thanks @Rahimdad, the plan was not to do ABCD in one shot, but one mod every 2 months (to feel before & after mod + of course saving up for the next mod). Wow 2 pop-outs in 12yrs? Ok cancel the beadlocks then, I think I'm watching too many Jeep instagrams 😅.

What do you think about the tires tho? Heavy tires might sink into sand, that's why people go to 10psi. Geolandar ppl say is not heavy, but not sure why the LandCruiser club on FB is bashing Yoko and recommending Toyo instead.

Why lift kit? Hmm yeah I just assume higher ground clearance equals less chance of stuck since sand will not easily touch the chassis. But maybe it's better rock-crawling and less effective for sand?

Definitely will join the drives again... just got the LC100 V8 yesterday so i missed signing up for @Gaurav's Sweihan, next time then 🙂

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks bro @Ahab Shamaa , good info on bigger tires require more horsepower!

Hmm yes I forgot that we do a lot of downhills, so bash plates are important. 8mm minimum, ok I'll note that. I guess changing front bumpers too, but seeing this is a 2002 Land Cruiser, I can live with "broken" bumpers for a while until some body works is needed 😂

For Pedal Commander, is that the responsiveness of kicking the throttle? How is it different compared to Chip Tuning? I've heard chip tuning can increase your horsepower & torque and turn Throttle Response Rate Increase...

Thanks for another "no-need-Methods-wheels" advice, I think I'm not excited about beadlocks anymore 😄

• Like (+1) 4

Hey @Zed,

The Pedal Commander does add responsiveness to your gas pedal. You press the gas, and the car just goes. No lag... PC does not increase HP, however, I like it because it gives you 4 driving modes: Eco, City, Sport & Sport+. You can switch modes with a press of a button on the PC panel itself, or via the app on your connected phone; if you’re lazy like me 😀 You can also select how responsive you want the pedal to be.

Tuning/chipping on the other hand, does seem to increase HP and torque (at least that’s what they claim when they post Dyno result pics). Chipping can also remove the engine cutoff limit and the top speed limiter, change the fuel to air ratio mixture, etc. One thing to keep in mind though, the map they download on your car cannot be changed or turned off on the fly. To go back to stock, it would require another visit to the garage to re-download the stock software. 

Oh, and I added front and rear metal bumper anticipating losing my plastic bumpers to jumps😀 The bumpers increased the weight of the car and changed its driving dynamics. Something I hadn’t thought of before making the switch... I still like the metal bumper and I’ve almost learned how to drive my car with changed weight (car is nose heavy now and wants to lean into all bowls I face 😂). It was terrible in Liwa as I kissed and visited every bowl we drove 😂.

As to the bead locks, if you still want them, @Rahimdad and I can take a permanent marker and draw some bead locks on your existing rims. No one will ever know the difference 🤣

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

Hey @Zed,

The Pedal Commander does add responsiveness to your gas pedal. You press the gas, and the car just goes. No lag... PC does not increase HP, however, I like it because it gives you 4 driving modes: Eco, City, Sport & Sport+. You can switch modes with a press of a button on the PC panel itself, or via the app on your connected phone; if you’re lazy like me 😀 You can also select how responsive you want the pedal to be.

Tuning/chipping on the other hand, does seem to increase HP and torque (at least that’s what they claim when they post Dyno result pics). Chipping can also remove the engine cutoff limit and the top speed limiter, change the fuel to air ratio mixture, etc. One thing to keep in mind though, the map they download on your car cannot be changed or turned off on the fly. To go back to stock, it would require another visit to the garage to re-download the stock software. 

Oh, and I added front and rear metal bumper anticipating losing my plastic bumpers to jumps😀 The bumpers increased the weight of the car and changed its driving dynamics. Something I hadn’t thought of before making the switch... I still like the metal bumper and I’ve almost learned how to drive my car with changed weight (car is nose heavy now and wants to lean into all bowls I face 😂). It was terrible in Liwa as I kissed and visited every bowl we drove 😂.

As to the bead locks, if you still want them, @Rahimdad and I can take a permanent marker and draw some bead locks on your existing rims. No one will ever know the difference 🤣

Hi @Ahab Shamaa i am a little bit concerned when it comes to the Pedal Commander. I understand how it works (the throttle output signal that goes to the ECU is being altered). I would presume that the OEM would fine-tune the throttle response signal from the factory based on reducing internal stresses, for example the stress on the drive-train must be a lot higher when accelerating from standstill in Sport+ mode, potentially damaging gears, shafts, or other mechanical points. Or am i overthinking this ?

I once saw a promotional video from the PC where the guy put it on his Pajero and drove around Al Quoz, and the car drove super agressive in Sports+ mode, which really looked and sounded unnatural and not very healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

awesome reply @Gaurav as usual... agree that Lift now should be last on my list cos it only makes sense if it's going to be a long-term relationship with this LC100. 

Now i' totally convinced to go with Yoko Geolandar 👍

For the drive on 29-Jan may not be able to make it, wifey confirmed to go camping with friends on Thu 😅

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Ahab Shamaa i am a little bit concerned when it comes to the Pedal Commander. I understand how it works (the throttle output signal that goes to the ECU is being altered). I would presume that the OEM would fine-tune the throttle response signal from the factory based on reducing internal stresses, for example the stress on the drive-train must be a lot higher when accelerating from standstill in Sport+ mode, potentially damaging gears, shafts, or other mechanical points. Or am i overthinking this ?

I once saw a promotional video from the PC where the guy put it on his Pajero and drove around Al Quoz, and the car drove super agressive in Sports+ mode, which really looked and sounded unnatural and not very healthy.

Hey @Frederic, I hear you on the concern about damaging the car😀 The reason I am comfortable with the PC, is because I’ve used the equivalent of it (Power Commander) on my Harleys for over 10 years with no ill effects 😀 The only difference between the two, is that the latter is Harley branded and costs about AED 10,000 to have it installed 🤣

A couple of notes, the PC does not void the car factory warranty.

The Pedal Commander works within your vehicle’s stock safety parameters and there is no risk of it harming your ECU because it does not connect directly into the ECU.

Now as to the rest of the things that will get damaged, I’m not sure what will, and frankly, I’m not too concerned 😀 The improvement in my drive with the PC on vs it being off is worth it to me. YOLO brother, YOLO 😀

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use