•  
Advertise here

Turning off air bags / tow points

Jeep Cherokee 2001 US Model

Hi all,

I've just joined Carnity, and I'm hoping to join my first drive tomorrow, but am struggling to find a way to turn off my air bags. I've searched online but can tseem to find the info.

Also I'm unsure exactly where the best tow points are on the vehicle. Its a stock model so there is nothing fancy on the vehicle. Can I still turn up fr the newbie drive tomorrow if I dont have any shackele points?

Dont want to miss out, as I dont always have the weekends off.

Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if this has been covered in previous forum posts.

Rgds

Leon

Just now, Leon Haywood said:

Jeep Cherokee 2001 US Model

Hi all,

I've just joined Carnity, and I'm hoping to join my first drive tomorrow, but am struggling to find a way to turn off my air bags. I've searched online but can tseem to find the info.

Also I'm unsure exactly where the best tow points are on the vehicle. Its a stock model so there is nothing fancy on the vehicle. Can I still turn up fr the newbie drive tomorrow if I dont have any shackele points?

Dont want to miss out, as I dont always have the weekends off.

Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if this has been covered in previous forum posts.

Rgds

Leon

Hi @Leon Haywood

Welcome to Carnity Offroad Club. @Srikumar has a Jeep Cherokee and will be able to help out as well.

With regards to switching off the airbags we emphasize on this for modern cars that have side airbags / curtain airbags, as these are connected to an inclinometer and have the tendency to trigger when you start doing dynamic dune driving. Your cherokee only comes with frontal airbag which would only come in out severe frontal crash (where it will protect you).

If you share a picture of the front and back of the vehicle we can have a look at the front and back towpoints. Normally on these cars it should be there.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

15 minutes ago, Leon Haywood said:

Hi Fredrick,

Thanks for your response. SO no nee dto worry about the air bags then....brilliant

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

On the rear you will need to remove the ball (you can unscrew it), or otherwise get a receiver hitch like this:

See the source image

I do not immediately see a towpoint at the front, which could be typical for an import model

could you send a more detailed photo ?

You should have a similar looking towpoint in the front like in below photo:

See the source image

If you do not have this, you can find them in most AdventureHQ shops or get something strong and decent fabricated in a workshop. Recovery points at both front and back are an absolute necessity for offroading in the desert.

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Leon Haywood it's good to have a fellow XJite. We are an almost extinct breed and I am still trying to carry the flag as far it can possibly go.

The below are my tow points:

Front tow point

20210128_103431.jpg

Rear tow point

20210128_103506.jpg

• Like (+1) 1