•  

ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra Dubai - 5 Feb 2021

Frederic

@Vishal S @Amit SRP @Ahmed Mohieddeen

A big warm welcome to all newcomers to the Carnity Offroad Club !

Kindly introduce yourself with the following info:

1) Which 4x4 are you bringing ?

2) Any prior offroading experience ? If so where and what ?

3) Please confirm your 4x4 has front and rear towpoints that are in perfect condition

For your first drive, you would only need a pressure gauge, tyre deflator, and a compressor (the Qudra petrol station compressor is out of service).

Please have a look at the Absolute Newbie briefing video posted in this topic:

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

And you will find more information about the various Offroad tools here:

Do not hesitate to ask your questions here !

Best regards,

Frederik

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

CONVOY LIST FOR TOMORROW:

image.png.1a7126bf27c104832603814a0b5f6574.png

@Nagham Albeitawi @Amit SRP @Vishal S @Shafeek Kiblawi, MD @marks @Antony Calvin @khurram.k @Ahmed Mohieddeen @Osama Al Hamwi @Tejas Patel @Gesa-Marie Louise Fischer @Ashwin0223 @pqpqpq @Shamil

Please find your convoy positions for tomorrow listed above.

Some pointers:

1) Please be on time, and a bit (15-20 mins) earlier is even better so we have some time to help you deflate the tyres.

2) Bring a pressure gauge / deflator so you can deflate your tyres. These are available in most hardware shops (ACE, Speedex, AdventureHQ). If you have already more tools like a shovel, walkie talkie, offroad flag, please bring them along as well.

3) The Last Exit gas station compressor is out of service since a long time, so i advise you to bring a small compressor so you can inflate your tyres. If its a small model compressor i would advise to inflate to 25 psi and then inflate fully on the way home in any petrol station.

4) Please make sure your gas tank is full and the vehicle is properly serviced, has a spare wheel, and front and rear towpoints.

5) All our drives are fully COVID compliant, hence we all wear a mask outside the car and keep our social distance at all times.

Seniors on the drive are myself, Mark (FJ Cruiser), and Shamil (Xterra). We will be helping you out during stucks and look forward meeting you and welcoming you as new members of our offroad family !

See you tomorrow !

• Like (+1) 2

DRIVE REPORT

Another lovely drive with our new Carnity family members !

It was great to see few enthusiasts slowly rolling in around 6:40, eager to hit the sand and enjoy the learning experience we have to offer. After deflating we started with the briefing, where we emphasized on momentum, radio acknowledgement, and not to fight gravity while offroading. In a theoretical approach all this sounds nice, but we wanted to go and head out in the dunes this lovely area has to offer. The first half hour some drivers had to adjust a little bit to the behavior of the sand, and the need to keep momentum and to stop the car only at a flat level surface or declining slope. While most of the cars are used to driving at 2000rpm and not often more, most members quickly realized that in the desert the throttle and momentum is key to make it from one dune to another. 

We practiced some gentle side-sloping, cresting (which took some shoveling), and self recovery. I was really amazed to see all of you picking up the pace quickly and getting accustomed to driving in the dunes. We kept a good pace at all times and the stucks or refusals were minor and easily dealt with. The GLS500 (of which is the first in our club) did well, and except for the overheating issue the car was a sight to see and @Amit SRP handled the car very well.

I had @Nagham Albeitawi as my second lead, as she had prior experience and drove perfectly, keeping enough distance and slightly correcting my path where needed. Well done !!

@Vishal S brought his nice red Cherokee, and drove it very controlled, followed by @Shafeek Kiblawi, MD who drove the white Grand Cherokee in pursuit effortlessly. We had more Jeeps in the convoy, like @pqpqpq his nice black SWB Wrangler, but we also had a beautiful Hummer H3 belonging to @Joe Biju Joseph but driven by @Ashwin0223 who all managed it perfectly !

Toyota was well represented too, with 2 Prados: @khurram.k with wife and son who had smiles throughout the drive, and @Antony Calvin who drove the Prado with excellent control, but also two beautiful big Landcruisers with @Osama Al Hamwi and @Tejas Patel both managing the big beasts very well.

I was blessed with the amazing support from @Shamil and @marks who patiently helped out everyone, dealt with recoveries, and kept a smile and friendly approach throughout the drive. I am proud to see our Advance level members stepping up in this role as they are on their way to become future marshals soon. Thanks so much !

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:10 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

PICS CAN BE FOUND HERE:

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/528-ab-newbie-qudra-dubai-05-feb-2021

See you guys soon in the sand again !

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use