•  
Advertise here

Help me decide what car 4X4 to buy please

Shiroy Tarapor

11 minutes ago, Shiroy Tarapor said:

Ok. So I must mention I already have a daily ride so this is just my offroading car but will definitely go with the family as they are keen too. For how long they are keen is uncertain. That said after reviewing my options it looks like if I was to spend less than 200K my only option is the Nissan Safari/Super safari. Is this a good car to buy? How sturdy is it? What about parts and maintenance? How easy is it to drive on sand with? Will it get stuck or will it come out easily? Is the 4800cc engine powerful enough considering its a V6?

Now with little more clarity it makes more sense to loose tiny bit of comfort to bet on proven model within affordable option.

Try to stick to super safari model than safari as it comes with rear diff-lock that is quiet a blessing to get unstuck.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Shiroy Tarapor Nissan provide a great service pack option and good length warranty ... buying the super safari means you roll out the showroom and straight onto the dessert so all/most parts covered by warranty/service contract... peace of mind as no modifications needed so any issues you just roll it back into the showroom :) 

Only spend once you done a few newbie drives would be tires and there’s a separate thread on that!  maybe a bash plate if stock isn’t enough!  

superb car for the dessert ... and still one of the most intimidating cars on the highway ... if this was your only choice you have lucked out as it’s a dream car for what you are planning! 

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Now with little more clarity it makes more sense to loose tiny bit of comfort to bet on proven model within affordable option.

Try to stick to super safari model than safari as it comes with rear diff-lock that is quiet a blessing to get unstuck.

As per the Sales guys there are 3 models in the 2021 Model Safari Series.

GL - This is the base model. Engine is the same in all 3 variants. Interiors are super basic in this model with all manual cloth seats etc.

Safari - This is the mid model. Engine and all is the same but this has manual rexine seats, sunroof and no reverse camera and basic stereo

Super Safari - Top model with leather seats, electronic seats, apple carplay with camera and sensors. 

As per the sales guys all the mechanical aspects including engine and drivetrain are the same in all models only the interiors differ and each variant is 20-25K appart. So to be honest I was leaning towards the GL model but will ask and confirm with them that the rear differential locks too.

• Like (+1) 1

Time to train sales guy then, to read the website.

For a moment I thought it could be new (nightmare) change to have super safari without RD, but then Nissan Dubai website shows that Super Safari has a rear differential lock.

https://en.nissan-dubai.com/vehicles/new/patrol-safari/super-safari.html

image.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Spend time doing the full comparison independent of the sales person as Gaurav mentioned many of them not always trained with all models.  Below for ease is the brochure and the final pages list all the features across all models ... seems dif lock is now standard which is great but highlight the differences and bring them up here if you need opinion 

quick edit having gone through the brochure... like you I would be tempted by the entry level model now!  Save 20-25k.  I would miss parking sensors as I have terrible spacial awareness ... however those are easy retro fit if needed!  This is a tougher choice than I thought/remember!  Manual seats and manual temp is no issues at all.... cloths seats combined woth the absolute bare interior only adds to the car being made for the desert :) 

the one modcon I missed and spent on was decent speakers as the route to our drives are usually 3hr round trips... but that’s only a fraction of the 25k saved potentially ... 

good luck and keep us posted! 

NISSAN-PATROL-SAFARI-CATALOGUE.pdf

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

The Nissan Super Safari is an amazing offroad vehicle, @Mario Cornejo has one and can probably tell you all the ins and outs about it.

Hi @Shiroy Tarapor - I got my car last November, it is a Super Safari year 2017, Short Wheel Base (SWB), and I am very happy with it.

My first time in the sand with it was during a Carnity Master Class, 72 Km in a little over 4 hrs, during the trip I had a few refusals and I was able to self recover following instructions of the Marshall.  Since then I've joined more Carnity drives and the experience driving it has been just great. 

It is a car with a powerful engine, it has just the basics, there is no additional technology, for example a TPMS that will tell me the pressure on all 4 tyres, yet I like the "rustic" vibe it has.  For me it is the right car and I feel safe in it.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you would want any additional information.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

6 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Time to train sales guy then, to read the website.

For a moment I thought it could be new (nightmare) change to have super safari without RD, but then Nissan Dubai website shows that Super Safari has a rear differential lock.

https://en.nissan-dubai.com/vehicles/new/patrol-safari/super-safari.html

image.png

Hi gaurav, I have compared all models as per the brochure and the rear differential lock comes with all models except for the saffari sv model. This was on page 30-31. 

I think they have made this option stock now on the 2021 safari models. OR I am reading this brochure incorrectly.🤣

• Like (+1) 1

Rear differential lock is always an added and expensive feature in all model of cars, so I highly doubt it can be ever become a standard feature, worth double checking it before buying.

Also central differential is pretty much standard feature in most cars, which automatically get engage when you shift to LO gear.

Central differential lock split fix power of 50:50 on front and rear wheels.

Rear differential lock will further split 25:25 power on rear left and rear right wheels to help you get unstuck when your 3 wheels are stuck even.

I have had Patrol GL swb model and I didnt had rear differential lock. 

• Like (+1) 5

I  drive a LC V6 , it is a very comfortable  car on the sands  the crowl system is amazing it helps you a lot when you are stuck .

it is a little bit under power because of it's heavy weight ..off course the v8 is much power full but the v6 would do it is job  for casual off road . With LC no headache in mechanic or electric or heating .  same as if you are driving in the city. Oil change , filter nothing else ....... the front pumper is not high , it comes two parts , I removed the bottom part to avoid damaging it . I am still in Fewbie level an till now i am so happy with my LC . Now I bought  a Pajero 2020 3.8L  0 KM at a good deal  .I will drive the Pajero in my off road drives for Fewbie plus level and higher levels hopefully if i got promoted . I will have more experience and would not be worried about damaging my LC anymore and will keep the LC for casual off road drives 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Went past the dealership again today and even spoke with the service technicians. All Nissan Patrol models come with differential locks. He even raised the car and showed me the differential locks which were on the rear wheels only. He said that when you place it in 4L or 4H central differential locks automatically. Thereafter there is another switch that locks the rear differentials which i saw in all models. The service guy also said that this has been stock in all safari models post 2012. Prior to that some cars only came with it. 

That said i really like the shape and features of the super safari way better. Just need to get a balance between the price and features provided.

920d0fd5-52bf-4b0c-ad02-cef1b019c578.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use