•  

COVID19 Compliant - Afternoon Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Solar Park - 5 Feb 2021

Foxtrot Oscar

30 minutes ago, Mohamed Abo ElKomsan said:

@Foxtrot Oscar I’m so so so sorry really I don’t know how I misunderstood that 5th of Feb will be Saturday !!! 🥺🥺🥺 again sorry for the no show see you in coming rides

Oh no! I was wondering what had happened to you. Next time my friend :) 

• Like (+1) 2

Drive Report

OH MY DAYS!! WHAT A CONVOY!! BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!

We started off with a delay to accommodate @Ilya Golubinsky and @Goutam who had been busying themselves tearing up the Iftar bowl with Gaurav on his early morning IM drive. Waiting was not an issue, I was happy to do so. @Goutam word reached us that you were having issues with your tyres and I thought you weren’t going to make it so we left at 2:30, just missing you. I’m sorry :( 

We started off on the very gentle dunes in Solar Park to warm everyone up for what lay ahead. After a
small refresher on the mechanics of ridge riding and criss-crossing the convoy demonstrated beautifully the art and finesse required to tackle these skills . That we didn’t have a single stuck or refusal during that part of the drive is testament to that.

Confident that the convoy was up to the challenge I headed towards the larger dunes of the area.  However, we were met with temporary fences that had popped up in the past week. As I searched for a way through it became apparent that we might as well just hop on the familiar dusty track, which left @Ilya Golubinsky looking like he had seen a ghost , as the white dust thrown up by my tracks covered his topless Jeep (apologies my friend) We weren’t on the track for long, and entered the dunes once again.

We passed through the technical area , dinking up and down , in and around with no issues at all before we reached the larger dunes. As we were confronted with the blazing white sands of the relatively high dunes, with hidden pockets and soft sands the convoy kept up their great driving. We took on everything this gorgeous area had to offer with only a couple of refusals and one crested vehicle. Which is to be expected when we face such challenges in the desert and with a convoy of mostly long wheelbase 4x4s.  @Thomas Varghese car was feeling a little hot and bothered so we stopped for 5 mins to let it cool down, applying water spray to help it on its way. It seemed to do the drink.

We reached the target area of the other side of Faqa with its huge long dunes and track free sands. In fact the only tracks we could see were the ones I had made on my recce drive the week before. Unfortunately for @Ali Abas one of his passengers was feeling nauseous. I looked for somewhere for him to exit and led him to the road. That was a pity @Ali Abas as you were driving well.  I asked the rest of the convoy if they wanted to keep going and I was delighted when they all said yes. This area is heavenly, the dunes are literally begging for you to cut across them and that’s what we did.

I was astounded by how well @Thomas Varghese drove on this his first fewbie + drive. Well done my friend, you did amazing. Thank you @Ilya Golubinsky for the great job as second lead, especially as we were ridge riding, some of those dunes had nasty bumps and you followed my instructions to exit early perfectly. @GauravSoni you continue to develop at an excellent rate and had a fine drive . Of course thank you @Pancho for being my sweep and keeping an aye on everything at the back.

Once again, thank you all for your excellent driving, always cautious, never blasé and ensuring we all had incredible fun!

We covered just over 87km in 4hours with only 22mins of stopping time.  BOOM! Now that’s a drive! ;) 

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

15 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Drive Report

OH MY DAYS!! WHAT A CONVOY!! BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!

We started off with a delay to accommodate @Ilya Golubinsky and @Goutam who had been busying themselves tearing up the Iftar bowl with Gaurav on his early morning IM drive. Waiting was not an issue, I was happy to do so. @Goutam word reached us that you were having issues with your tyres and I thought you weren’t going to make it so we left at 2:30, just missing you. I’m sorry :( 

We started off on the very gentle dunes in Solar Park to warm everyone up for what lay ahead. After a
small refresher on the mechanics of ridge riding and criss-crossing the convoy demonstrated beautifully the art and finesse required to tackle these skills . That we didn’t have a single stuck or refusal during that part of the drive is testament to that.

Confident that the convoy was up to the challenge I headed towards the larger dunes of the area.  However, we were met with temporary fences that had popped up in the past week. As I searched for a way through it became apparent that we might as well just hop on the familiar dusty track, which left @Ilya Golubinsky looking like he had seen a ghost , as the white dust thrown up by my tracks covered his topless Jeep (apologies my friend) We weren’t on the track for long, and entered the dunes once again.

We passed through the technical area , dinking up and down , in and around with no issues at all before we reached the larger dunes. As we were confronted with the blazing white sands of the relatively high dunes, with hidden pockets and soft sands the convoy kept up their great driving. We took on everything this gorgeous area had to offer with only a couple of refusals and one crested vehicle. Which is to be expected when we face such challenges in the desert and with a convoy of mostly long wheelbase 4x4s.  @Thomas Varghese car was feeling a little hot and bothered so we stopped for 5 mins to let it cool down, applying water spray to help it on its way. It seemed to do the drink.

We reached the target area of the other side of Faqa with its huge long dunes and track free sands. In fact the only tracks we could see were the ones I had made on my recce drive the week before. Unfortunately for @Ali Abas one of his passengers was feeling nauseous. I looked for somewhere for him to exit and led him to the road. That was a pity @Ali Abas as you were driving well.  I asked the rest of the convoy if they wanted to keep going and I was delighted when they all said yes. This area is heavenly, the dunes are literally begging for you to cut across them and that’s what we did.

I was astounded by how well @Thomas Varghese drove on this his first fewbie + drive. Well done my friend, you did amazing. Thank you @Ilya Golubinsky for the great job as second lead, especially as we were ridge riding, some of those dunes had nasty bumps and you followed my instructions to exit early perfectly. @GauravSoni you continue to develop at an excellent rate and had a fine drive . Of course thank you @Pancho for being my sweep and keeping an aye on everything at the back.

Once again, thank you all for your excellent driving, always cautious, never blasé and ensuring we all had incredible fun!

We covered just over 87km in 4hours with only 22mins of stopping time.  BOOM! Now that’s a drive! ;) 

Sorry for the overheating issue @Foxtrot Oscar. The old stallion was a bit tired after being driven so hard over the sands from morning without a rest. Moreover he climbed two huge dunes upto the top during the morning drive with @sertac and many more with you without any complaints. Fortunately for both the convoys there was not much relaxing times in between for him to cool down a bit as everybody was driving to their best and few refusals or stucks. The Xterra was managing all this beautifully without any complaints. In fact I believe he was galloping with injured hoofs as I noticed the flat out tire on the front passenger side once our drive came to a close. I think I had a pop out somewhere in between during our drive but nothing was there to be felt during the drive. The tire had marks on being dragged through the sands but popped back right in when air was pumped in and till now the air pressure is holding. What more should I ask him to perform? 

Xterra is an extinct breed killed by its own parents. They were made to go to places where there are no roads and they still do it with a little care and love given to them. Not at all expensive to maintain and they do the job as good as any other off roading car. 

Thanks for your compliments about my driving but I think the credit is all the car's. As @Rahimdad once told me Thomas you don't know what your car can do and you will learn to master him once you do regular drives of offroading. I'm only starting to experience it and I like him more and more now. 

The drive you led was very exciting and the best till date for me. You were driving over those dunes like possessed. I could see you know exactly what your car could do and it seemed like man and machine were in perfect tandem. Like dancing on the sands with beautiful & graceful moves. Wanted to shoot more pictures of the landscape but there was no interval. The sunset while ridge riding and crisscrossing was again beautiful even though I couldn't capture them as there was no way we were stopping. Our primary aim is to drive not to take pictures. 

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL DRIVE @Foxtrot Oscar & MY FELLOW DRIVERS. I WOULD GO OUT FOR A DRIVE ANYDAY WITH YOU ALL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

• 1 year later...

@Gaurav this is the drive I could not attend. Please remove my name from the attended list. 

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

Important Information

Terms of use