•  

ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra Dubai - 12 Feb 2021

Srikumar

1 hour ago, Adib Samara said:

So I am unable to see any front towpoints - does this mean I won’t be able to attend? 

We will have a look at it tomorrow morning, but yes you will need a front towpoint. From my knowledge on the LR discovery and discovery sport the front towpoint is hidden underneath the front bumper. There are 4 small screws that you need to remove.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi guys

As promised I am sharing the towpoint pics (for my LR discovery) I removed the front and rear bumper panels and the recovery towpoints are there. I guess it should be there on the defender as well...

Joseph

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-11 at 3.18.29 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-11 at 3.18.28 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

CONVOYLIST FOR TOMORROW

@Miamimoe @[email protected] @Adib Samara @Joseph Sebastian @Navkriti @Lawrence_Chehimi @Arish Mirza @Omar Rifai @Werno @stavros papachristos @Glen01

image.png.e4c62cc5e2fcd30594e1f4dc0bf59d0d.png

Thanks for signing up to your first Carnity Drive with us !  The plan is too meet up at the meeting point mentioned in the drive topic, deflate our tyres, and do a briefing that will emphasize on what our club stands for and to convey the basics of off-roading, followed by a 3 hour drive and exit point will be at the Last Exit petrol station.

@Kailas and @Tamas Hoffmann will be seniors on the drive and will assist you in the recoveries, deflation, etc... 

Some notes:

- Please bring a compressor so you can inflate your tyres after the drive. The petrol station compressor is out of service. 

- We will check your vehicle's towpoints in the front and back. This is a main requirement which allows us to safely recover you in case you get stuck.

- Please take note we will meetup at 8AM due to the expected fog (see announcement below)

In case of any emergencies my mobile no. is 056 504 26 32

See you all tomorrow !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOG ALERT

Based on the last two days' consecutive foggy mornings and tomorrow's forecast, we will be starting tomorrow morning drive from 8 AM till 12 PM.

• Like (+1) 4

Hi @Glen01

A big warm welcome to Carnity Offroad Club !

Kindly introduce yourself with the following info:

1) Which 4x4 are you bringing ?

2) Any prior off-roading experience ? If so where and what ?

3) Please confirm your 4x4 has front and rear towpoints that are in perfect condition

For your first drive, you would only need a pressure gauge, tyre deflator, and a compressor (the Qudra petrol station compressor is out of service).

Please have a look at the Absolute Newbie briefing video posted in this topic:

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

And you will find more information about the various Offroad tools here:

Do not hesitate to ask your questions here !

Best regards,

Frederik

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Glen01

A big warm welcome to Carnity Offroad Club !

1) Which 4x4 are you bringing ?

2) Any prior off-roading experience ? If so where and what ?

3) Please confirm your 4x4 has front and rear towpoints that are in perfect condition

For your first drive, you would only need a pressure gauge, tyre deflator, and a compressor (the Qudra petrol station compressor is out of service).

Please have a look at the Absolute Newbie briefing video posted in this topic:

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

And you will find more information about the various Offroad tools here:

Do not hesitate to ask your questions here !

Best regards,

Frederik

Hey Frederik, thanks for the welcome.

1) Which 4x4 are you bringing ? 2012 Jeep Cherokee

2) Any prior off-roading experience ? If so where and what ? Driven once in Al Qudra with friends, but will be good to learn the ropes.

3) Please confirm your 4x4 has front and rear towpoints that are in perfect condition. Yip got one in the front and in back.

Question - I see we need a compressor. I havent got - do i need to try and source one tonight? Any suggestion to get quickly?

thanks

Glen

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Glen01 said:

Hey Frederik, thanks for the welcome.

1) Which 4x4 are you bringing ? 2012 Jeep Cherokee

2) Any prior off-roading experience ? If so where and what ? Driven once in Al Qudra with friends, but will be good to learn the ropes.

3) Please confirm your 4x4 has front and rear towpoints that are in perfect condition. Yip got one in the front and in back.

Question - I see we need a compressor. I havent got - do i need to try and source one tonight? Any suggestion to get quickly?

thanks

Glen

Thanks Glen, these are your options:

1) Speedex or ACE has small cheap compressor that plug into the cigarette lighter, do not expect much from them, they will be just enough to inflate back to 20psi and drive to the nearest petrol station to inflate completely back to 35psi. Both shops also sell Vitaly heavy duty compressors like the 160 liter per minute model or the 300 liter per minute model which are a lot better for weekly offroad use. Higher prices and better quality can be expected from Bushranger and ARB compressors.

2) Dragon Mart has good heavy duty offroad compressors, same like the Vitaly brand but you will find them cheaper. No warranty of course :)

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Thanks Glen, these are your options:

1) Speedex or ACE has small cheap compressor that plug into the cigarette lighter, do not expect much from them, they will be just enough to inflate back to 20psi and drive to the nearest petrol station to inflate completely back to 35psi. Both shops also sell Vitaly heavy duty compressors like the 160 liter per minute model or the 300 liter per minute model which are a lot better for weekly offroad use. Higher prices and better quality can be expected from Bushranger and ARB compressors.

2) Dragon Mart has good heavy duty offroad compressors, same like the Vitaly brand but you will find them cheaper. No warranty of course :)

Thanks Frederic, will see what I can source tonight

• Like (+1) 1

DRIVE REPORT

Waking up a little bit later than the usual Friday morning never hurts, so I did not mind the fog this morning :) 

Everyone made it well on time, except for @Adib Samara and @Arish Mirza, I hope you guys are fine and will join us next week.

After deflating we did the briefing which really emphasized on getting the basics right and to convey to all of you that it is OK TO GET STUCK. As I mentioned it's an essential part of the learning experience and brings some fun and exercise to the drive as well.

With @Miamimoe as my second lead, who has previous experience from another club (which name we will not mention here 🤣)  we took off and he gently corrected the track where needed and I am sure he will be a great asset to help and support us on the future drives.  Have a look at the post here below that describes our grading levels, and in that post you can click on the link to apply for Fewbie promotion. Please also declare your previous experience in your application form. Well done and hope to see you soon back in the sands !

@[email protected] came with doubts. Doubts about the capabilities of the Koleos and how he would manage in-between these other offroad beasts. But by utilizing the ideal momentum, his tiptronic, and very good driving skills we saw that Koleos going everywhere ! Fantastic work !!

@Joseph Sebastian brought the beautiful discovery to the drive, and discovered how powerful it is in the right hands. You drove fantastic for a first drive !

@Navkriti brought his Pajero to the drive, and hardly struggled anywhere. Well done buddy ! Same for @Glen01 who took the Cherokee to new places and it looks both you and the car had fun today ! Great work !

That brings me to the V8 duo, @Lawrence_Chehimi and @Omar Rifai who roared their way through the dunes effortlessly. As I mentioned, restraint will be a necessity at times, and finesse will come after a few drives but both of you did great today !!

I reserved the back of the convoy for the Wrangler team: @stavros papachristos, @Werno and @Kailas as a cherry on top :) Amazing to see you all controlling those beasts so well !

A big thanks for my support team @Tamas Hoffmann and @Kailas who are on their way to become new convoy leaders very soon, and I hope all of you take these two guys as the perfect example for supporting drives: always calm and patient, helpful, and always with a smile. Thank you so much guys !!

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:10 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon in the sand again !

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use