•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Mahafiz to Faya via Fossil Rock - Sharjah - 12 Feb 2021

Guys what a phenomenal drive and huge props to Lorenzo and Matt for the amazing skill shown at the end I've never imagined anything like it ever!!!!!! 

For those curious about the contraption on the side of my car here's last week's drive - (I'll post today's drive ASAP!)

I'll post today's drive Asap!!!

Edited by imranaasghar81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Guys just arrived home and have to say masterful driving today from all. Matt really enjoyed driving behind you mate and amazing at the back rahimdad honestly just want to say I love being part of carnity it god damn rocks! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

What a day, what a great drive, it had everything, fog, sun, refusals, etc......then ended with me having no clutch. Thanks to @Lorenzo Candelpergher and his 400hp right foot and great skill we got it to where a recovery truck could pick me up. So new clutch for next week!!!

• Like (+1) 3

DRIVE REPORT 

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

I had set the expectations quite high for this drive with my introductory post.. Luckily the magic of Mahafiz, Fossil Rock and Faya didn't let me down today. 

@Yusuf Esaf, upon arrival at Mahafiz meeting point, said it felt like he had just entered the gates of Heaven as we were literally surrounded by a thick, almost solid, white fog. Not sure @bassel el rafei felt the same way, though, when at 7am he suddenly realized the meeting time had been postponed by one hour due to fog 😂😂

After the briefing it was decided that I would do a quick recce to check the visibility and by 8:45am we started our adventure, with everyone agreeing that 30m visibility was enough to give it a try. 

For almost an hour we drove in a surreal Mahafiz desert, transfigured by the fog: it was the first time for me and even more so as a new leader. The exact opposite of the drive start I had pictured in my mind, riding east towards the sunrise, but still quite an experience worth making.. 

The convoy did pretty well in such foggy conditions. A couple of refusals and a short break to deflate a bit more @bassel el rafei's tires didn't stop us from wandering around until the sun eventually made the fog fade away. Just before the fog thinned out, a tricky sharp dune got @varunmehndiratta crested, but @Ashy tugged him out in no time, as a perfect Center Forward.

With a clear visual, the fun started as we reached the play areas around the Long Dune, where we enjoyed the long and wide ridges and the the extensive side sloping passages we were all waiting for. 

Shortly after, @bassel el rafei's Pajero started showing transmission oil overheating issues, so we stopped to cool it down. Apparently the problem was under control, so we decided to continue and headed straight to the mighty Fossil Rock, which we reached in a triumphant parade. 

The descent on the steep east side was not advisable as there was no sand cover on the initial rocky part, so we decided to start our move toward Faya from the south-west side. 

As we proceeded in our zig-zag from one side to the other of the rocky crest that links Fossil Rock to Camel Rock, we enjoyed a fantastic set of dunes in a spectacular scenery, in a mix of red sand and white rocks. 

Unfortunately @bassel el rafei's transmission was still having issues, so @Rahimdad and myself had to halt the convoy and lead him out on the nearby pylon track, from where he made it safely out on E106. 

The convoy was so good and with so little troubles (except for @varunmehndiratta's constantly falling flag 😂😂) that we even took the time to watch @Rahimdad giving a free recovery masterclass to an unlucky lot who had gotten badly stuck with their Nissan Patrol Safari near Camel Rock. 

I was amazed by the great performance of @Paul Zeitoun with is long wheel base RAM1500: he handled the beast as if it were 2m shorter. Equally great was @Mikhail Lukichev, who quietly but steadily got his Prado wherever he wanted it to go. Kudos also to @bassel el rafei, @N@ved, @varunmehndiratta and @Ashy for a very smooth ride.

All of this was happening under the 360 degrees fisheye of @imranaasghar81's camera, installed on the most ambitious cantilevered mount I had ever seen. I am very curious to watch his video of this drive, especially for the final bit at Faya. 

It was indeed at Faya that the drive transcended from a great one to a memorable one.. After exiting almost half of the cars, a handful of brave Fewbies asked to go back to taste a bit more of the big Faya dunes. I must confess my son Miki was very wisely advising against going in again, but his was the voice of a 7 years old wise man talking to his 46 years old childish father who could only feel the hitching to go back in and wouldn't listen to reason.. 😂😂

So myself, @Matt.T, @Yusuf Esaf, @imranaasghar81 and @Ashy, at 12.30pm, decided to go back "for not more than 25 minutes". We played around, attempted a few straight ascents at Faya play area, then made it to the top with an exciting and fast paced climb from the South-West Side. All the magic we could desire was there, we just missed a bit of drama to spice up this last stint and @Matt.T, after a majestic performance during the whole drive today, delivered it by stopping at one of the highest points in Faya with a totally incapacitated car, most likely with a non recoverable clutch failure. After waiting for 45 mins to see if the clutch would cool down and resume some functionality, we resolved to tow the car all the way from the top of one of Faya's highest points to the west side flat track and eventually on the tarmac. With power steering and braking systems still running but with zero traction, the challenge was to find a route that could lead us down without ever having to climb up anywhere, which is far easier said than done. After a quick recce, the exit plan was hatched and executed in perfect coordination with @Matt.T and, hopefully captured on camera by @imranaasghar81, as this one was definitely a keeper. 

With the whole convoy back on the tarmac, we could eventually have our adrenaline levels normalize and let this amazing day sink among our best memories. 

Thank you all for this fantastic day and special thanks to @Rahimdad for granting his Marshal supervision on my 1st totally independent lead and for the support as today's flying sweep.

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

@Lorenzo Candelpergher it wasn’t me who got crested 😭😭😭, it was Varun.....Let’s blame it on fog 😂😂 you could not hear me clearly due to dense fog 😉..... I did have a refusal never the less close to fossil rock ☹️..

an awesome day Lorenzo, thanks a lot for keeping us on the toes. Driving in fog and partially wet sand is a new challenge and something new learnt, nevertheless a fantastic day out. As usual the Superman @Rahimdad Bhai to the rescue and guidance every time... thanks again to everyone on the drive for some light hearted banter @Paul Zeitoun (did you sleep on the couch or the car 😜).... true spirit of Carnity touched once again, fun filled day with loads of learning and sharing all done safely...

@varunmehndiratta As promised I did watch out for your flag was worried if I was going to be named the flag man of the day... hahahah🤣🤣

thank you everyone for a lovely day out 

4C1CE0CF-4D83-4729-9F08-2A5B5345F013.jpeg

682E7322-E827-479B-ABF3-E91A9D4EBFB4.jpeg

EF603B16-A543-497F-B7E5-2D58894406C2.jpeg

4327EA50-45F2-4907-9383-935DF38AC871.jpeg

93E3E174-C3CF-4094-BFAA-168251BF4F7A.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Just now, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

You are right, @N@ved, it wasn't you crested, I indeed wasn't sure who it was. Fixed the report 😉, thanks. 

Oh, @Lorenzo Candelpergher, since you are fixing reports, can you please correct my F1500 to RAM 1500. Just for accuracy 😂😂

11 minutes ago, N@ved said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher it wasn’t me who got crested 😭😭😭, it was Varun.....Let’s blame it on fog 😂😂 you could not hear me clearly due to dense fog 😉..... I did have a refusal never the less close to fossil rock ☹️..

an awesome day Lorenzo, thanks a lot for keeping us on the toes. Driving in fog and partially wet sand is a new challenge and something new learnt, nevertheless a fantastic day out. As usual the Superman @Rahimdad Bhai to the rescue and guidance every time... thanks again to everyone on the drive for some light hearted banter @Paul Zeitoun (did you sleep on the couch or the car 😜).... true spirit of Carnity touched once again, fun filled day with loads of learning and sharing all done safely...

@varunmehndiratta As promised I did watch out for your flag was worried if I was going to be named the flag man of the day... hahahah🤣🤣

thank you everyone for a lovely day out 

4C1CE0CF-4D83-4729-9F08-2A5B5345F013.jpeg

682E7322-E827-479B-ABF3-E91A9D4EBFB4.jpeg

EF603B16-A543-497F-B7E5-2D58894406C2.jpeg

4327EA50-45F2-4907-9383-935DF38AC871.jpeg

93E3E174-C3CF-4094-BFAA-168251BF4F7A.jpeg

@N@ved, couch it is, and no cake, no brownies for a while 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Paul Zeitoun said:

Oh, @Lorenzo Candelpergher, since you are fixing reports, can you please correct my F1500 to RAM 1500. Just for accuracy 😂😂

Done

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use