•  
Advertise here

Overheating Transmission, Pajero 2008-2020

6 hours ago, Gautamaialni said:

Great post @Frederic, I did face the transmission over heating issue on my very first newbie drive last week, this happened when I was stuck in a bad dune for about 20/30 mins 

below is the detail of my car 

3.8 L, 2014 LWB

kms done -70k

transmission oil change- Not sure as I bought this car from someone else 

drive in - D mode 

tyre pressure - 15 psi

i went to a garage last week for skid plates and they told me over heating tranmission  is common problem with Pajeros post 2012 models, they told me a external fan would fix the problem, they are quoting me 800 Aed for this fix? 

what do you advice? 

Before fixing the external fan, give tiptronic a try. Most have seen good results by driving in tiptronic instead of D mode. Try to toggle between second and first gear and keep it in the same gear as much as possible.

Less gear shifting = Less heat being generated.

15psi is fine but be aware that after about two hours of driving you’ll be at 17 most probably. So keep an eye on it and deflate back to 14-15 after a while.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

35 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Also it works with X terra with me as I am always on 3 and occasionally 2 leaving the 1 for steep situations and I noticed also temp almost constant 👌

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Before fixing the external fan, give tiptronic a try. Most have seen good results by driving in tiptronic instead of D mode. Try to toggle between second and first gear and keep it in the same gear as much as possible.

15psi is fine but be aware that after about two hours of driving you’ll be at 17 most probably. So keep an eye on it and deflate back to 14-15 after a while.

I also had the same Problem on my new Pajero, I was advised by @Frederic to try Tiptronic and it worked for my last trip, need to see if that will work for peak summer, slowly I am getting used to tiptronic and habtoor also suggests not to drive on D for offroading.

• Like (+1) 2

- 2018 3.8 LWB

- PSI 14 all round

Driving on tiptronic.

Was on my 2nd drive today and faced overheating twice. Had to drop off from the drive after 70% of completion (disappointing).

Initial half I was in tiptronic and faced heating during a refusal. Moved to D mode thereafter under guidance of  @Wrangeld. Drove for a bit n then got the sign again. After second round of cooling it was fine however by then it was time for me to drop off.

Not a subject matter expert but maybe my gear shifts were not ‘ideal’. 

• Like (+1) 2

First desert drive in my 2016 SWB today. Transmission overheat alarm sounded during a self recovery and again when in convoy. I stopped using D and went to Tiptronic, alarm went away.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jeetu sharma said:

@Warren Flay just out of curiosity what gears were you using or rather which gear did you maintain consistently?

It was an absolute newbie drive so I'm not sure how relevant my feedback is but for what it's worth, I used 2nd for the soft/uphill/turning parts and 3rd for everthing else (3.8 litre/5 speed)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Frederic I have done little research on Transmission cooling fan to fit on my Pajero, Tru-Cool Max 40K LPD4739 looked better to me. Can you please advise which is the best and right fit for my Pajero 2020 3.8 LWB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lakshmi Narasimhan said:

@Frederic I have done little research on Transmission cooling fan to fit on my Pajero, Tru-Cool Max 40K LPD4739 looked better to me. Can you please advise which is the best and right fit for my Pajero 2020 3.8 LWB.

A bigger surface area definitely helps, but i have no idea if this model fits in your car.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 minutes ago, Frederic said:

A bigger surface area definitely helps, but i have no idea if this model fits in your car.

@Frederic attached are the specs and the link https://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max 

I will have to give it a try then. Thanks.

DD67A1B7-B554-4082-97D8-9697E3B15F3D.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1