•  
Advertise here

Overheating Transmission, Pajero 2008-2020

Hi All,

Firstly, I AM NOT A MECHNIC NOR A TECHNICAL GUY! Below is just what I have read online and sharing here. Can someone with more experience advise if this is legit/ will work? :) 

"The viscous clutch fan has a bi-metallic plate in the middle that should be curved and not straight. By having it curved the fan can work at lower engine speed and prevent transmission from overheating along with improving aircon performance as well."

One can make a more curve with a flat screw driver...this would make the fan reduce slipping at low speed thus blowing more air to cool the radiator, condenser and oil cooler. Please see picture below:

2134274194_pajerofan(2).png.ecd07c2524c1e01d67dc2d7ac90414bc.png

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, jeetu sharma said:

Hi All,

Firstly, I AM NOT A MECHNIC NOR A TECHNICAL GUY! Below is just what I have read online and sharing here. Can someone with more experience advise if this is legit/ will work? :) 

"The viscous clutch fan has a bi-metallic plate in the middle that should be curved and not straight. By having it curved the fan can work at lower engine speed and prevent transmission from overheating along with improving aircon performance as well."

One can make a more curve with a flat screw driver...this would make the fan reduce slipping at low speed thus blowing more air to cool the radiator, condenser and oil cooler. Please see picture below:

2134274194_pajerofan(2).png.ecd07c2524c1e01d67dc2d7ac90414bc.png

Tampering with a perfectly good viscous clutch fan ? Nope thanks. On older cars like our 99 Pajero there are ways of locking the clutch with a bolt, but on newer Pajeros I would never recommend this 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@jeetu sharma Last Friday and Saturday both days I was driving manual mode only and had no heating problem, still I am going for auxillary cooler to be on safer side for peak summer. I will be fitting it by Next week only, today only I got the right contact, will update once I am done. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 minutes ago, jeetu sharma said:

@Lakshmi Narasimhan What is the gearing you were using?

On my first try mostly I was on 2nd and for steep climb on 1. Last trip was mostly on 3rd and for high dune on 2nd and 1st. Still I am trying to improve and know the sweat spot , I reckon there’s nothing to be more specific, you follow what momentum is required at different times and how your vehicle responds. The more we drive we get better. Also dont forget to follow the speed limit for your car modelimage.thumb.jpg.d042b691739b6ac7ed74abab85ca10e6.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

29 minutes ago, jeetu sharma said:

I used first and second gear in my last drive and got my car to overheat 😂 I’ll have to practice more in future drives!!

Was it transmission or engine overheat?

if it is engine overheat, maybe you mainly used 1st gear. Try more with 2nd on easy terrains and avoid long time driving with 1st gear. 

if it is transmission overheat, means you are switching a lot :D 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1