•  

Seek Advice on daily road drive car..

Varun Mehndiratta

Hi all a bit off the topic, however a bit confused so seek advice....it's about cars, so thought who better than the gang here..

I am planning to get a new (used/new) car for my wife - her daily drive and need advice on the same.. Parameters/a bit on preference are as below.. Please share your thought. 

A. She presently drives my old daily drive - a Lexus IS300 2008, have had it for almost 11 years (got a good deal in 2010). And we both just loved it. Car is still in good shape just time to change to something latest -

Basically, it's the wife thing - complaining that even my Jeep has more electronics/smart features than her Lexus.

B. Her usage is limited around 8-9k a year. However, thinking of something which I can take out to office once in a while, when not in mood to drag my Jeep and for a change feel some speed. So surely something with some statement, stands out a bit over the usual (Camry/accords), but not too flashy. 

C. Going by our track record, used the same car for 10+ years, want to go for something not very old - a new one or perhaps 2018/19/20 model. So that it can go a long way. 

D. Budget is generally around 100k, won't mind a bit stretch if get something good. 

E. One of the reason I loved my Lexus (apart from it's performance) has been the maintainance cost - my average cost per year hasn't exceeded 2500/year even when I drove it myself (so around 20-25km a year). This average includes replacing tyres every 2-2.5 years, which have been a steep part of this figure. So surely looking for something which doesn't hurt me post service/warranty contract. 

F. One of key requirement is hauling kids around (a baby and a 8yo). So decent space in boot as well as back. The moment I proposed idea of SUVs, she started picturing Touareg, GLC or XC60 or something 😄 Doubt any of these would fit into my budget and maintainance parameters. 

G. Safety is surely very important and we both like Volvo in general however heard too expensive to maintain post warranty? 

General advice we got is the usual - prefer Japanese bit (and is probably right as well). The moment I suggested, all she could think of is another Lexus...and i am sure now you know why I need advice. 😄

Please share your thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let her drive Lexus GS 350 especially F sport model and ask her to decide.

2017 ish must be close to 100k range.

I had Lexus GS430 back in olden days prior to my offroad life, and I still miss and regret selling that 1 car in my whole life.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks @Gaurav GS is surely an awesome ride,  wasn't even thinking of it as expected it to be off my budget limits...will check it right away...Lexus is  surely not easy to let go.. 

• Like (+1) 1

Have you considered Infiniti Q50 ? If you want lots of electronics yet reliability this might be worth considering.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi @Fredericyes it's surely in option list...only thing is Lexus and Infinity are very similar and if some good options would prefer some change. 

Also an iissue I understand with Infiniti is sticky door rubber cladding during summers. Many colleagues complained about it.

Used to have this issue in my Lexus as well, however understand that they fixed it in new models. It used to get Soo sticky and soft that my 2yo daughter punctured it with her nails. 

• WOW (+2) 1

2 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

How about Volvo, something like S90, do you recommend based on above parameters? 

Volvo, Audi, Merc and BMW. All are very good until warranty ends, after that you will be paying a lot as it gets older and older, probably same as the car cost in next 10 years time.

I keep trying new cars every two years. Buy car 1 year in warranty, drive another 1 more year after warranty with fingers crossed and sell it at 20-25% depreciation for 2 years. So that I can try a lot of different brands at similar depreciation that I would pay for 1 car in 10 years.

I had a great experience with Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Not very great but OK with ML500 and Range Rover. Tried twice to buy BMW and got scared after seeing the previous owner maintenance history big pile of receipts.

The higher you in luxury segment, expensive the maintenance its gonna be.

If you plan to stick to 10 years then you are better off with japanese - Lexus or Infiniti. I would vote Lexus (personal choice) as most Infiniti are build in US or Aus (I guess) and not in Japan anymore.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

As a proud Mercedes owner now over a 2.5 year and 45.000km(car is 2009 and current milage is 123.000km) I can say Mercedes is not like the other European car makers. It was amazingly reliable. Until last month all i did was just general maintenance. Last month i needed to change the front shocks, lower arm bushes and engine mounts. Which didn't cost arm and leg if anyone wondered. I believe that is normal for 12 year old sports car. I have the full service history of the car before me also it was just general oil and filter change. Currently Mercedes giving 5 years 150.000km warranty on their cars, that also another good point for you. 

That is my experience with Mercedes however for the sake of holding car value i would go for a Lexus in this country. Since you are happy with the brand you can continue with it. 

• Like (+1) 3

Really interesting feedback @sertac.thanks for same...Merc C300 is undoubtedly a beauty...i always thought Merc maintenance is as much as that of BMW (and that's high) that's why wasn't considering, especially since for Merc only the used one come close to my stretched budget.

Great will check that..

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Volvo, Audi, Merc and BMW. All are very good until warranty ends, after that you will be paying a lot as it gets older and older, probably same as the car cost in next 10 years time.

I keep trying new cars every two years. Buy car 1 year in warranty, drive another 1 more year after warranty with fingers crossed and sell it at 20-25% depreciation for 2 years. So that I can try a lot of different brands at similar depreciation that I would pay for 1 car in 10 years.

I had a great experience with Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Not very great but OK with ML500 and Range Rover. Tried twice to buy BMW and got scared after seeing the previous owner maintenance history big pile of receipts.

The higher you in luxury segment, expensive the maintenance its gonna be.

If you plan to stick to 10 years then you are better off with japanese - Lexus or Infiniti. I would vote Lexus (personal choice) as most Infiniti are build in US or Aus (I guess) and not in Japan anymore.

Was thinking of this model...they have these personal lease agreements these days..low down payment and low monthly emi, with option to step out after three years without additional payment.. Issues are - dealers options cost a bit more (depreciation level of 40-50%) and effort required to buy/sell directly is beyond my patience level. 

Will check Lexus and based on @sertac feedback explore a bit more on Merc as well... For me as well would prefer Lexus over Infinity (pure personal choice.for.styling, thought don't believe performance wise there's much diff). 

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use