•  
Advertise here

Suzuki Jimny

RaYan E

Nice cute little small car, but will be good for Newbie and Fewbie drives. Drawback being it is less on power which is needed for intermediate and above drives.

@Yahya Munir, @Nathan Evans can share their first hand experiences as they drive a Jimny

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@RaYan E, as @Chaitanya D mentioned us Jimny drivers are absolutely rivalled by horsepower but that (from first hand experience) can be overshadowed by driving skill and experience and ultimately knowing the science of how your Jimny reacts to driving on sand! A few points in regards to this being that these Japanese short wheel based little toys have one of the biggest advantages and that is the WEIGHT which technically makes a resounding difference when talking about power and movement as although it doesn’t give us much juice as some bigger cars with 4 litre or v6/8 configurations it means that it takes a lot less to move it. In parallel to that weight I personally drive on 10psi on the OEM wheels and tyres without so far having any problems, which allow we to create a decent footprint for putting what power I have down on top of the sand without sinking or bogging. You can really notice the presence of the Jimny when your driving on sand as it loves to float on top and really does not sink at all! With the experience and skill side, it’s all bout momentum and throttle control with the Jimny, maintaining that speed and most importantly the sections before a climb or a sidey etc, that is what will carry you through with ease and less strain on the little motor! Knowing the throttle will help with that and when the range where you have Max torque and bite! I’m about 12 drives in now with a few fewbies under my belt and I’m loving every step in the Jimny, learning an abundance about myself and vehicle each week! Hope this helped a little bit if you want to know anything more or some specifics, feel free to continue this discussion on here. 

And if you do get stuck all you have to do is get you and your friend to pick up the car with one finger and she’ll be out :) 

Nathan

C0C53453-5157-45DC-BF35-4022A94FFF18.jpeg

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 7

6 minutes ago, Nathan Evans said:

can be overshadowed by driving skill and experience and ultimately knowing the science of how your Jimny reacts to driving on sand

well said @Nathan Evans. On sand it is all about the right approach, momentum , skill and experience on a 4 by 4. Next comes the power , tires , v6,V8 blah blah blah....blah blah blah!

Over time, one gets used to his driving style as per his car which will help you enjoy your drives much better.

• Totally Agree (+2) 5

And if you do get stuck all you have to do is get you and your friend to pick up the car with one finger and she’ll be out :)

Reminds me of my Dolphin car (Reliant Kitten) which I was using in my college days from 1986 to 1990. Fiberglass body and 800cc. Small, light but extremely powerful with an aluminum engine which was relatively new in that era. I used to offroad with that car inside jungles crossing streams, rock climbing etc. Stock car. No mods. Relatively easy to repair. Had a nasty roll over when I tried to lift the car by 2 inches and the car rolled over thrice and landed safely resting on its roof once the momentum stopped. Nothing much happened to the car except for a broken side window and some paint scratches (my friends who was inside the car was safe but little bit disoriented for some time). The car was put back on its own wheels by my friends (4 of them) & me by just pushing and rolling it over by brute force and we continued our journey. Getting bogged down on mud and rocks were not at all a problem as me and my friends could literally lift the car up or push it out (raw teenage power). Can't say Jimny could be lifted up like this as its a metal body and much heavier. The Indian variant of the Jimny is the Gypsy and is the most preferred transport of Indian Army. Infact even when the company announced that its discontinuing the aged model Indian Army suddenly placed an order for 3500 units or more. That's the legacy of Suzuki Jimny and the version we get here is much more powerful than the 1300 cc we get in India. 

download (1).jpg

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2