•  

Tripod recommendation

Gaurav

Appreciate if someone here can recommend a good quality tripod please: Brand with model number.

Mid-range and should be suitable for night photography.

Camera: Nikon D750

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I got the ZOMEI Q555 based on very good reviews and affordability:

https://www.amazon.ae/gp/product/B07W6Z22JK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works well for me for the occasional use and i did not want to spend thousands of dirhams for something i use occasionally.

I think in terms of professional brands, Manfrotto must be top of the list.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi @Gaurav it depends on your budgt

for sure the best brand is manfrotto, but it costs a lot of money. 

I think andoer and zomei are good choices just make sure the model you choose can carry enough weight at least 3 KG 

there are some models can't carry this weight but it have extension hook to hang additional weight that gives your tripod more stability as the shared picture 

005a-tripod-weight.jpg.51c750675ec13618a793156440c9d7e3.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I've recently got this one as a second tripod. Surprisingly robust and strong for 18 AED(!!!), keeps good my Sony A7 with the lens. Extremely good for trips when you limited with weight and space, and when you unsure whether you will need a tripod or not

https://www.amazon.ae/Flexible-Tripod-Octopus-Spider-Holder/dp/B07MJ3FHMC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=WNUQIUCII8OZ&dchild=1&keywords=tripod+flexible&qid=1613644812&sprefix=tripod+flex%2Caps%2C262&sr=8-4

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

I purchased the same as @Frederic based on amazon reviews.  It replaced a lightweight budget one I used indoors.  The gravity hook, full height (60” plus) and ball joint sold it to me (equivalents from the big brands were 4-5 times the price). 

I have used it on a windy balcony and it was superb for stability so thinking desert Astro it will be ideal.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hi @Gaurav,

I use a Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 fitted with a ball mount MHXPRO-BHQ2. 

I use a Nikon Z7 (645g) and the longest lens is a Nikon Z 70-210mm f/2.8 zoom, which is quite heavy (1440g), for a total of over 2kg. So far, even in extremely windy conditions, I never had to use any stablizing extra weight. 

I am very happy about it: sturdy and sufficiently heavy to self stabilise, easy to open/close and mount. Not the best friend of sand, it must be said: needs a bit of extra care to keep it in good shape after desert sessions. 

I must say, however, that when using the zoom lens, I find a monopod way more pratical, generally good enough to avoid excessive movements and avoid fatigue during prolonged shootings. But it also depends if the camera (or the lens) is fitted with an image stabilizer, I think. 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I am always using very cheap ones. I don't even know the brand. I even used them with my heavy Mamiya cameras, it was fine. However if you going to use it outside with heavy wind and long lens than what you are using is very important. If i was you i would by anything around 50dhs than lets see if you have any difficulty you can get something more professional. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

But it also depends if the camera (or the lens) is fitted with an image stabilizer, I think. 

Yes my camera and lens (Nikon 28-300 VR) has image stabilizer.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

22 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Yes my camera and lens (Nikon 28-300 VR) has image stabilizer.

Then, if your intended use is for stable shots with your 300mm lens even with fairly long shutter time (say down to 1/60"), a monopod may also be an option to consider. 

I was totally against the idea in the beginning, but had to admit it is a really handy extra piece of equipment. I definitely use it more frequently than the tripod when I am doing action shooting, ie with no time to really get all set up with the perfect framing on a tripod. 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Then, if your intended use is for stable shots with your 300mm lens even with fairly long shutter time (say down to 1/60"), a monopod may also be an option to consider. 

I was totally against the idea in the beginning, but had to admit it is a really handy extra piece of equipment. I definitely use it more frequently than the tripod when I am doing action shooting, ie with no time to really get all set up with the perfect framing on a tripod. 

Obviously for night shots a monopod is not a good solution. I had missed that part of your request 🙄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use