•  

ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra Dubai - 26 Feb 2021

Srikumar

Hello all,

My vehicle is a 2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 Petrol.  My first experience in the desert got me stuck, which prompted me to take a 1 hour class at Galadari.  My only other desert driving experience was tagging along with Humayun on a newbie drive with a Frederic as the Marshall.  In the USA I grew up in the woods and was accustomed to frequently driving in snow and ice...sand is different I learned.    Both tow hooks are in excellent condition.  See you all Friday!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Hello to everybody,

I have a 2015 green manual Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have driven 3 times with a friend and I took a Master Class with Frederic on how to drive with manual gear box in the desert and basic recovery, it was awesome so I decided to join the club. About the basics, I am only missing a radio walkie talkie that I didn't have time to buy, is it a problem? if so, I try to get one today. The car is in perfect conditions in all sense. See you on Friday !!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Helo All,

Myself Ranjan pattanaik, having 2016 Ford explorer sport.

About tow hook, yes i have front & rear tow hooks, both are absolutely fine. Tire deflator, pressure gauge and small compressor i have.

Regarding desert drive experience, have little bit experience Alqudra, fossil rocks with freinds. Looking forward to learn more techniques and improve skills for betterment. See you all tomorrow @ 7AM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Rawad Bahsas @Salvador Perez @Thomas Fumarola @Roger K @WaYan @Shynil Hashim @jeetu sharma @luis mantecon @Marky B @Miguel Codes @Shajeer Karuvalli pathikkal @Ranjan Pattanaik

As we are less than 24 hours from the start of the drive, here is a brief of what we plan to do tomorrow:

PREPARATION FOR THE DRIVE AND WHAT TO EXPECT

1) Please ensure that you reach the meeting point on time, i.e., 7:00 AM sharp. A little early would be better, but dont be late.  Also, ensure that you have tow points at the front and rear with 8 inch (min ground clearance(

2) All first timers with Carnity need to ensure that they have gone through the Newbie briefing Video :

3)  The senior members on tomorrow's drive would be @Jeepie and myself.

4) We will be using Carnity Channel 1 tomorrow. (446.00625 Mhz). The instructions to program the radio are provided in the below post. Please ensure that you have a fully charged and programmed radio before the drive. If you are a first timer with Carnity we shall provide you with a spare radio for this drive, if you dont have one. 

5) All traction controls, ABS and Air bags need to be switched off. While turning off traction control is mandatory, its ok if you are unable to turn off the Airbags for this drive. Traction Control, ABS and Airbags can be disabled by a button or by pulling the fuse. Incase of any queries you can always ask me or the senior members before the drive or better still, post your queries on this drive post and we would assist. 

6) You will need a pressure gauge, deflator and compressor as a minimum. 

7) For highway tyres you can deflate to 15 psi. Those who have AT tyres, you can deflate to 13 psi. 

😎Feel free to ask questions at any time. 

9) Convoy Numbering will be posted later today. 

We shall be starting the drive on some flat tracks and would build up the pace from there depending on the convoy response. We will be driving for about 3.5 hours practicing driving in sand, proper steering control, crossing some dunes, and getting you and your vehicle more familiarized with the desert.

By 11:00 am we will be heading out towards the Qudra Parking.

COVID PRECUATIONS

As the number of cases are increasing its very important that we minimize personal interactions. So once you reach the meeting point, park your cars at sufficient distance from each other. Always wear your masks while stepping out of your cars. Once done deflating, please get back into your cars immediately. Drivers will be responsible for the compliance of their passengers as well.

Convoy Numbering

1. Srikumar - Cherokee XJ

2. Luis - Wrangler

3. Ranjan Patnaik - Ford Explorer

4. Shajeer - Prado

5. Jeetu - Pajero

6. Roger K - LR3

7. Shynil - Pathfinder

8. Salvador - Pajero

9. Wayan  - Wrangler

10. Marky - Wrangler

11. Miguel - Wrangler

12. Rawad - Patrol

13. Thomas - Wrangler

14. Jeepie - Wrangler TJ

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Srikumar

Thanks for sharing the details. Will follow the given guidelines.

Just had the following query regarding walkie talkie

1) I have a Baofeng (UV-5R) walkie talkie and have followed the instructions to set all the channels as provided. Only concern is that when I follow step #7 I get voice message that channel stored under Transmission mode. On Step 6 its receiving mode but on pressing Menu twice it saves as Transmission mode ---- is this OK?

• Like (+1) 1

Hello.  I have a LR3 and am having no success with getting abs disabled.  I can find no fuse or relay in the owners manual or on line forums.  I can disable traction control with a button and air bags by pulling a fuse.  Land Rover LR3 does have special off road functions, but not sure if this will be acceptable.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, jeetu sharma said:

@Srikumar

Thanks for sharing the details. Will follow the given guidelines.

Just had the following query regarding walkie talkie

1) I have a Baofeng (UV-5R) walkie talkie and have followed the instructions to set all the channels as provided. Only concern is that when I follow step #7 I get voice message that channel stored under Transmission mode. On Step 6 its receiving mode but on pressing Menu twice it saves as Transmission mode ---- is this OK?

Hi @jeetu sharma correct you need to confirm twice so that both the transmitting and receiving frequencies are saved. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

14 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Hello.  I have a LR3 and am having no success with getting abs disabled.  I can find no fuse or relay in the owners manual or on line forums.  I can disable traction control with a button and air bags by pulling a fuse.  Land Rover LR3 does have special off road functions, but not sure if this will be acceptable.  

Hi Roger, LRs can be a bit complicated and it's not advisable to pull out any relays or fuses as your car might not start.

Just figure out on how to turn off your traction control as a minimum for tomorrow's drive.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use