•  
Advertise here

2013 FORD EDGE sport

new guy

hi everyone, im a new driver and looking to buy my first car. im looking at the 2013 ford edge sport. is this still good to buy this 2021?

im barely dont have idea about cars yet and i dont have the luxury to buy a new one as well. please any inputs will be much appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @new guy ! The Ford Edge is a nice car as your first car, no doubt about that.

Take a look at the following advice with regards to buying second-hand and what to look out for:

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

hi @new guy, as Frederick mentioned the ford edge is a nice car and drives well on the road, it has some power and decent handling. But from experience once it hits 5 years old issues will start to show up. I have a close friend who used to own one where it always gets serviced at the agency started having issues with it after just 5 years, it only had 120,000km on it. In the last 2 years he changed the brake booster twice, all hydraulic hoses and steering pump, all arm bushings and ball joints, he also faced some transmission slipping  recently until he decided to sell it.

I personally owned an american car and multiple japenese cars and a german car.. I can tell you the german cars drive the best, it takes you from point A to point B with as smile on your face but be ready for the heavy maintenance as I only service my cars at thr agency and as per the manufactures recommendation.. American cars costs less but they aren't much reliable... My advise is to buy a japanese car, it doesn't drive the best but they are the most reliable. But make sure you never purchase one with a CVT transmission, had to change mine at 40000 km and the second was changed around 100k, ( under warranty) the third had to be changed on 160k but managed to drive it till 180k before I sold it..

At the end it all depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend yearly on your repair bills. Just Don't expect to drive a 7 years old car without having surprises every now and then...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 of my friend have them one 2010(180.000km) and one 2013(120.000km). 2010 start needing some maintenance and 2013 still holding good but who knows how long. I am agree with Lawrence to go with Japanese brand. Also owner of 2010 told me that Ford place the water pump somewhere inside the engine and if water pump leaks it will leak in to the oil pump and your coolant and engine oil will be mixed.  He said this is common issue with 3.5 Ford engines. However i haven`t verify this information. You can check further. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

hi @new guy, as Frederick mentioned the ford edge is a nice car and drives well on the road, it has some power and decent handling. But from experience once it hits 5 years old issues will start to show up. I have a close friend who used to own one where it always gets serviced at the agency started having issues with it after just 5 years, it only had 120,000km on it. In the last 2 years he changed the brake booster twice, all hydraulic hoses and steering pump, all arm bushings and ball joints, he also faced some transmission slipping  recently until he decided to sell it.

I personally owned an american car and multiple japenese cars and a german car.. I can tell you the german cars drive the best, it takes you from point A to point B with as smile on your face but be ready for the heavy maintenance as I only service my cars at thr agency and as per the manufactures recommendation.. American cars costs less but they aren't much reliable... My advise is to buy a japanese car, it doesn't drive the best but they are the most reliable. But make sure you never purchase one with a CVT transmission, had to change mine at 40000 km and the second was changed around 100k, ( under warranty) the third had to be changed on 160k but managed to drive it till 180k before I sold it..

At the end it all depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend yearly on your repair bills. Just Don't expect to drive a 7 years old car without having surprises every now and then...

My 2010 Altima's CVT transmission lasted 400000 kms. I agree they are very sensitive but they fail because someone fiddled with it in the garage. The transmission failed in 3 days after I agreed to change the transmission oil instead of only topping it up in a local garage. The service manual of Nissan doesn't mention to change the oil but only top it. The ride comfort of CVT no other transmission can provide. After that due to other mechanics who had no idea about CVT I had to change them twice upto 550000kms and then bought a second hand myself and fixed the gear box without changing the oil. Its functioning beautifully for the last 200000 kms and the car has reached almost 750000 kms now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thomas, mine was a 2012 Altima, bought it 0 from the agency and never touched the transmission oil, the car was under service contract so they didn't either. Whining noise starts at 30k and just gets worst the more you drive it, it is basically the noise of failing bearings inside it. Had it changed twice each time costed about 28k aed (more than the price of the car) but it was fine since changed under warranty.. Speaking to the service guys at Nissan they said that is a very known issue with the CVT and it is even worse on the v6 engines. Cvt is very good on small engines basically smaller than 2.0L.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Its functioning beautifully for the last 200000 kms and the car has reached almost 750000 kms now. 

If you are getting 750K from CVT Altima, your Xterra will hit 1.5 Million mark.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

shall i post the odometer picture?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Altima C98003 odometer.jpeg

My altima would have been 850000 kms by now if I didn't switch the ride to Xterra since Feb 2020. 

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

By the way my XTERRA has crossed the 600000 km mark

• Like (+1) 2

My 1st love. Still in prime condition as she came out 1st time from the showroom. 

280386_247134668631245_647443_o.jpg

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1