•  
Advertise here

Newbie alert! Tyre recommendation on Jeep Willys 2016 (80% road, 20% desert, 0% rocky terrain)

Hello everyone!

I just joined the club last week and looking forward to my first newbie drive. I bought a used 2016 Jeep Willys which had worn out stock tyres (255/75/17) and I upgraded it it Nexen Roadian AT PRO (285/70/17). The car now vibrates a lot as soon as I touch 80KMPH and is too noisy. I know the A/T tyres are loud, but now I am looking for smaller (265/70/17)  tyres which are quieter on roads and also decent on the desert for casual drives (80% road, 20% desert, 0% on rock terrain). Should i go for HT tyres or spulrge on the K02s as i heard great reviews about it (less noisy on road + great on the desert)? Other options I am looking at are Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840 and Kumho Road Venture AT51. Low noise in 80+ KMPH is a key decision criteria. Thanks in advance!

Cheers, 

Imtiaz Ali

• Like (+1) 1

Try out Yokohama Geolandar AT, one of the best offroad tyres for the sand while giving decent comfort on the road. BFG K02s are extremely bulky and you would feel the car becoming significantly heavy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

11 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Try out Yokohama Geolandar AT, one of the best offroad tyres for the sand while giving decent comfort on the road. BFG K02s are extremely bulky and you would feel the car becoming significantly heavy.

Thank you! Shortlisted this one.. Will keep the thread updated with the outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

Tire vibrate at 80 is not a tire fault but typical tire installer lazy issue as they don't balance tires precisely.

Go to another tire shop and ask them to balance all 4 tires and this time stand on their head on wheel balancing machine to see 0 | 0 (Zero | Zero) on both sides of each tire. If he say 10 | 0 is fine, ask him to put counter weight more until both sides show zero for each tire.

Another issue could be if you have had a pop out and sand went in any one of the tire, then get that tire clean from inside thoroughly as sand rotating inside the tire will disturb the tire balancing all the time.

BFG indeed look good but not ideal for sand and DEF not for road. They are amazing on rocks and mountains. For sand you need AT tires which are less bulky (heavy) and aggressive. Yokohama Geolander fits that bill perfectly as most sand offroaders are using the same tires.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have 315/70/17 KO2 on JLU, they are absolutely perfect on-road (120-130 km/h no difference with stock). But formally they are heavy - I would consider something lighter as my next tires as I don't do rock driving (3-4 ply, just compare weight))

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Tire vibrate at 80 is not a tire fault but typical tire installer lazy issue as they don't balance tires precisely.

Go to another tire shop and ask them to balance all 4 tires and this time stand on their head on wheel balancing machine to see 0 | 0 (Zero | Zero) on both sides of each tire. If he say 10 | 0 is fine, ask him to put counter weight more until both sides show zero for each tire.

Another issue could be if you have had a pop out and sand went in any one of the tire, then get that tire clean from inside thoroughly as sand rotating inside the tire will disturb the tire balancing all the time.

BFG indeed look good but not ideal for sand and DEF not for road. They are amazing on rocks and mountains. For sand you need AT tires which are less bulky (heavy) and aggressive. Yokohama Geolander fits that bill perfectly as most sand offroaders are using the same tires.

Thanks Gaurav! Thats a great input. Really impressed with the quality and the timely support received from everyone so far.. glad to be part of the Carnity community! 

Edited by Imtiyaz Ali
  • Like (+1) 1

Forgot to mention that if your Nexen Roadian AT PRO is new then no need to change again, just get them balanced professionally and they will be good for road (but little noisy) and reasonably good (not wow) for sand offroading.

As they wear down they will get more and more noisy then you can consider changing them.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

52 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Forgot to mention that if your Nexen Roadian AT PRO is new then no need to change again, just get them balanced professionally and they will be good for road (but little noisy) and reasonably good (not wow) for sand offroading.

As they wear down they will get more and more noisy then you can consider changing them.

The Nexen that I have is 285/70/17, was thinking the Geolandar 265/70/17 will be lighter and better on-road experience. 

• Like (+1) 1