•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Faqa - 5 Mar 2021

Wrangeld

Thank you Wrangeld,  Shehab al Awadhi,  Jeandre Bezuidendhout,  Kalahari  for your extreme support and guidance. It was a great fun drive with some very good technical dunes which make us to learn a lot.

I appreciate and thanks to entire convoy team members for their patience and support during my refusals, stuck and especially in pop out.(Great team work)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Srikumar said:

I somehow don't recollect the incident and if I was harsh I do apologize. But you have raised a very important point which is of fishtailing on a long side slope. Fishtailing if not controlled can go wrong very fast especially considering the speed at which this maneuver is done.

Also, something that is to be mentioned to all members is that when you are driving in a convoy be mindful that there are cars behind you. So in your excitement donot churn up the track by taking the wrong line and then giving too much gas, this ruins the fun for the cars behind. Try to leave as less a foot print as possible on the sand. 

Hi @Srikumar true this is a very important point....one key thing I have been observing over last few drives is how smoothly (with limited or no footprint) the marshalls or even some of more experienced drivers in a convoy adjust to a changing terrain...

One of the reason I felt is ability to judge the exact amount of momentum required for an obstacle and one's car's ability to manage it at a specific rpm...

New to very steep dunes and slopes, i personally felt that at times I was churning the sand a bit too much especially at end of series of big bowls. And when I tried to reduce it the doubt at back of mind led to refusals and slower pace... I am sure experience and practice are one way, however would appreciate if any tips around it.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi @Srikumar true this is a very important point....one key thing I have been observing over last few drives is how smoothly (with limited or no footprint) the marshalls or even some of more experienced drivers in a convoy adjust to a changing terrain...

One of the reason I felt is ability to judge the exact amount of momentum required for an obstacle and one's car's ability to manage it at a specific rpm...

New to very steep dunes and slopes, i personally felt that at times I was churning the sand a bit too much especially at end of series of big bowls. And when I tried to reduce it the doubt at back of mind led to refusals and slower pace... I am sure experience and practice are one way, however would appreciate if any tips around it.

There is only one way. Try try harder try even harder and you will master the art of driving on sand

• Sad (0) 1

1 hour ago, Danish Mohammad said:

Thank you Wrangeld,  Shehab al Awadhi,  Jeandre Bezuidendhout,  Kalahari  for your extreme support and guidance. It was a great fun drive with some very good technical dunes which make us to learn a lot.

I appreciate and thanks to entire convoy team members for their patience and support during my refusals, stuck and especially in pop out.(Great team work)

Don't forget to remove the tire from the rim, clean it thoroughly and refix it.  

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

9 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

There is only one way. Try try harder try even harder and you will master the art of driving on sand

True... i guess gap is also about those split secs where the thoughts turn from How should I approach it to Okie i can do it this way....perhaps with experience and practice this time gets better.....Ok i think I am getting to my introspecting mode..

• Confused (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

True... i guess gap is also about those split secs where the thoughts turn from How should I approach it to Okie i can do it this way....perhaps with experience and practice this time gets better.....Ok i think I am getting to my introspecting mode..

This is nothing. You already mastered the art of driving on tarmac. Was it easy? Anyways you decided to sacrifice your precious machine on the altar of sands. So why fear? Let go off the fear and you will master the desert. 

• Sad (0) 1

@varunmehndiratta no need to try hard. Let it come to you, relax and let the lessons learned be a part of you rather than trying hard. Desert driving is an art, you cannot paint anything any better if you try too hard. It should become a part of your DNA and should come to you naturally. Don't just think about following the car in front of you, replicate the one which you feel is smoothest ahead of you. See closely the line they followed, the angle they attacked, the height, the speed. Criss crossing a dune is the hardest thing if you don't get it right. If you're not travelling at the angle you're supposed to, or at the speed, or at the height. I have seen most people try to stay on top of the dune and than turn sharply to the other side. That is not the way. It has to be smooth manoeuvre. Each dunes is different, but if you're struggling to stay on top, it will be a struggle to get such a manoeuvre right. Even though you survive through a couple of such scenarios, if you're not getting it right, at some point you'll face the unwanted result. If unsure, ask a senior to show you again the line to be taken and then try it out. Practice will make you perfect and all of this will come to you as second nature. Remember when you first stepped in sand, many things were hard and you had to remind yourself of the brief and what to do in that situation. Many of these things come to you naturally now. The many exercises we have put you through are the steps to take you to the next level. Don't be impatient for the next level, enjoy the ride, feel your car. Let yourself and your car be one. If you've managed to get through Reading this so far, you may now refer to @Frederic post on criss-crossing, where he's explained this with help of diagram to do some home work before your next drive.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks @Rahimdad bhai. I had the exact picture in mind as you described...it's very similar to when we learned those brush strokes in art class...smoother and relaxed the approach better is the outcome... Have been trying to put it in action over last couple of drives, has affected my pace a bit but then that's something can always get better with more drives ... @Frederic tips on side slope and criss crossing are surely something i revisit before and after each drive...just to remind my brain of the basics and assess what I missed out on at particular instant... Really like the way you emphasized on fact - it's not about trying hard but enjoying it and feeling the smooth sail..  Holding a brush hard does not produce much of an art...😀 

For me the struggle hasn't been about stucks or major refusals..just the inner drive to do it with better finesse and grace.. On one of the drives saw a team of UAE adventure club, three Jeeps of same colors criss crossing through dunes in flawless sync...even the distance between them didn't change through the drive....that's the goal...was a beautiful well choreographed performance .😀 Same as we see it with our leads at Carnity ..

Edited by varunmehndiratta
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

I'm glad you're taking it in good spirits @varunmehndiratta. Experience counts too, along with confidence in one another. When you're driving with someone you haven't driven with before, you tend to observe them for a while before you start sync with their car.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Of course Rahim bhai...there's no reason to not have good spirits...it's the addictive adrenaline rush of desert drive that keeps us all waiting for the booking window to open and wake up early in morning over a weekend to be there for drive😀

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use