•  
Advertise here

Bodywork damage while car at workshop

TT_Dubai

Hi everyone

I gave my 2014 Jeep Wrangler (manual) to a detailer in Al Quoz for exterior and interior detailing. I got chatting to one of the guys and was happy overall with what they said they would do and the quote. They also kept me updated with videos on whatsapp on the cleaning procedure.

On the day of collection I got a call informing me that there had been a small accident while the car was being prepared. One of the guys tried to turn on the ignition and not realising the car was in first gear (car is manual transmission). As such the car jerked forward and the door (which was open) hit a pillar and now has a deep dent and scrape running through the length of the door. The paint has also come off (down the primer). The plastic grab handle on the exterior has also smashed and is no longer usable.

I went to the workshop to inspect the damage. The workshop offered to make good the damage and to take it to another denting (PDR) and painting garage nearby to rectify the issue (the workshop itself only does detailing and tinting). Of course at no charge. 

I have checked the garage where repairs will be undertaken and it looks reasonable but they are trying to source the spare parts (door handle).

The only concern is that the car is 5 years old and am not sure the paint respray will be an exact match. Also the Jeep has never had any paint (completely original) and now it is likely that any inspection will identify a respray of the door. I have taken photos of the damage and can show any purchaser when I sell it.

My question is what would you do? The workshop has offered to make good the damage. It is likely to take 3 or more working days. During this time, I have to go to the office and will need to take a taxi. I know it is an accident so in my mind, making good the damage is expected but I am worried about the new paint affecting the resale of the Jeep. And the time costs of me taking alternative transport in the meantime. 

Is it a fair response to wait for the repair and pay the workshop for the original quote for the detailing (around AED1k)? I am in the service industry and recovery is very important especially when mistakes are made. My loss is:

-  no use of car for at least 3 working days

- potential adverse effect on resale

- potential mismatch in colour following respray.

Appreciate any thoughts on how you would proceed!

Thanks 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TT_Dubai said:

- no use of car for at least 3 working days

- potential adverse effect on resale

- potential mismatch in colour following respray.

Now imagine someone bangs your car at parking or on road.

Faulty party insurance or person will also not cover any of the above.

So technically if they do a good quality repair job and return your car how it was before, then it's totally fine to pay them full money what you agreed for detailing.

Btw, repaint lower the resale value by miniscule amount and more than 1 door repaint you might be loosing on many other factors of interior trim, faded plastic, cracks, alloy dings, tires, engine bay leak, unusual noise etc.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thank you, makes sense.

Maybe just me, but when I look at a secondhand car, the first thing I check are the service records and invoices, documents and if all in order, the paintwork/exterior and then interior followed by a test drive.

Am waiting for the repaint and denting to be done, all going well should be later this week... then hopefully will be able to make a first drive this weekend...🙂

Important Information

Terms of use