•  
Advertise here

Rubicon, Sahara Or Sport ?

Why do most people prefer Jeep Rubicon over all other Wrangler models?
What makes this model special from others?

• Like (+1) 2

@Ahmad Shaker i was nearly a jeeper before picking up the FJ and attached is the breakdown between Sport vs Sahara (trim and aesthetics).  i didnt request the Rubicon specs at the time as it was out of budget however that Model definitely brings more mechanical upgrades - from what i recall a sway bar release + front locking diff (and a standard lift that allows larger tires and enhanced bumpers)

hth 

Jeep Sport vs Sahara.xlsx

• Like (+1) 2

@Niki Patel Thank you so much that was really helpful

• Like (+1) 2

From what I remembered the Rubicon has different gear ratios, reinforced axles, and front and rear lockers. This makes it the ultimate off-roader. It was also named after the pretty legendary Rubicon Trail in the US.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Rubicon has stronger front axel (not reinforced, but stronger - you still may want to reinforce it). Not sure about the rear on

It has more power due to the gear ratios, so if you go for larger wheels it's an advantage. Higher fenders to work with stock's 33". But its more design staff, you still can't put 35" there

As it was mentioned here, sway bar release, front locking diff, and a nice red metal front panel :)

If you plan to go for a extreme drives - go to Rubicon, if not and you care about the TCO - no need

• Like (+1) 3

Personal opinion here, had the same dilemma with the Gladiator and decided to go with the Overlander (Sahara) for the following reasons:

- I wanted the creature comforts of the leather seats, bigger display, etc

- Didn't really care much about the Diff Loc, its nice to have in tricky situations but for the most part you can live without it.

- Used the money saved from the Rubicon to gut the Overlander, 35" (don't really have to reggaer), adjustable shocks, trackbar, superchip, front bumper, winch, apex valves, etc and came out to about the same price as a stock Rubicon but with a lot more ommf...

Happy with the decisions.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 3:39 PM, Ahmad Shaker said:

Why do most people prefer Jeep Rubicon over all other Wrangler models?
What makes this model special from others?

Hi I have a Sahara...was a question I evaluated for weeks before I made the choice... Key elements you need to evaluate are :

A. if this is going to be your daily drive or weekend drive..

B Do you like Jeep in it's stock form or going for jeep with plan to do upgrades. 

C. If really planning for offroading, would it be more of desert or treading the rocky mountains.. 

D. And ofcourse the budget. 

I choose Sahara, as I had no plans for major mods (at least not on immediate basis). Like my Jeep in stock form and since it was also going to be my daily drive wanted to have some basic  features - leather finish and seats, bigger screen, better sound system, adaptive cruise and blind spot, forward coliison warning etc. I went for limited edition on Sahara and paid premium for adaptive cruise control (generally in Jeep this is the last thing ppl pay for but that's personal choice - though a jeep I want smart features as well.).

Another friend who bought at same time as me went for sports and spent the money he saved on mods..

Eventualy having spent almost same amount, On cool/styling scale, his vehicle surely is at higher level than mine - bigger wheels, awesome custom leather finish, a bit of lift etc. However he can't have comfort feature which I have stock in my vehicle. Plus for me all finishing is stock/company warranted, a big factor for me. So it's all on personnel choice..

Reg. Rubicon and Sahara for me was about budget. Perhaps a case of sour grapes I convinced myself that More sturdier and bigger wheels on Rubicon will make the ride bumpier on daily basis. I am sure if budget wouldn't have been an issue I would have preferred Rubicon over Sahara. Just the looks and feel of Rubicon is much better, ofcourse diff locks, dana 44 axles are big plus especially if planning to hit rocky terrain.

• Like (+1) 3

One point to share, this question has been there since these models were first launched and FCA knows their shit..pricing delta between Sports and Sahara is very nicely designed by company. Converging features will bring you to same level. So if you like features in Sahara go for Sahara I won't recommend buying Sports and try to match cosmetic and electronic features with that of Sahara. 

On 3/9/2021 at 10:23 AM, Ilya Golubinsky said:

As it was mentioned here, sway bar release, front locking diff, and a nice red metal front panel :)

Hehe @Ilya Golubinsky I Got the metal front panel in my Night Rider Sahara limited edition...😃 It really has its own nice feel to it. 

I think in 2021 they have it in Sahara 80th year edition..

Edited by varunmehndiratta
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

So if you like features in Sahara go for Sahara I won't recommend buying Sports and try to match cosmetic and electronic features with that of Sahara. 

I have a Sport and if I were to buy one today I'd buy a 4D Sahara.

When I got my 2D Jeep - bought it only cause wife wanted a 2 door car and wasn't sure what I was getting into. Now I have buyer's remorse.

• Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.