•  
Advertise here

Recommended regular post off road drive checks

Thank you Gaurav indeed for this informative clear post and yet essential in my opinion to all off roaders especially to whom are new to this world like me. also many thanks to all who commented richly to make things more clear.

related to the discussion in this respectful forum I have one question please

we drive on weekly bases almost , my question is what is the recommended regular post off road drive visit to the garage for general check up before the next event? because sometimes in between events during the week on road I am good and not feeling something wrong. however as this hidden issue may become appearent on full performance, as said by Gaurav earlier in the post.

thank you

• Like (+1) 3
  • Confused (0) 1

2 hours ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

Thank you Gaurav indeed for this informative clear post and yet essential in my opinion to all off roaders especially to whom are new to this world like me. also many thanks to all who commented richly to make things more clear.

related to the discussion in this respectful forum I have one question please

we drive on weekly bases almost , my question is what is the recommended regular post off road drive visit to the garage for general check up before the next event? because sometimes in between events during the week on road I am good and not feeling something wrong. however as this hidden issue may become appearent on full performance, as said by Gaurav earlier in the post.

thank you

Hi @Mohamed Seidam. That is a good question.

My personal reccomendations:

Before the drive:

1) Check your engine fluid levels: (engine oil, transmission oil, coolant). If you are not sure how to do this, ask the technician on your next visit to the workshop to show you. NEVER OPEN THE COOLANT CAP WHILE THE ENGINE IS HOT !!

2) Physically check your tyres and tyre pressures. If one tyre is having low pressure, it might be a minor leak/puncture.

3) Go through your offroad tools and make sure everything is in the car. (as per your drive level).

4) Make sure you have a full gas tank when you arrive at the deflation point.

After the drive:

1) Clean out your air filter by gently tapping it, the sand will fall out. 

2) Inflate back to normal tyre pressure and inspect your tyres and the rest of your car for any damage incurred from offroading. 

3) On the way home, turn off the radio and listen if you spot any strange noises, inbalance, or something that was not there before. From heavy offroading, the wear and tear on items such as shocks, bushings, link rods will accelerate and will lead to wheel inbalance, clunky noises while braking, or other suspicious sounds. If you had a pop-out there will mostprobably be some sand inside the tyre that can also contribute to inbalance.

Get to know your vehicle and do not ignore these early warning signs. Bring it to a competent workshop and let them inspect and show you what is worn and needs replacement. There is a difference between a slightly worn bushing that can still last a few years, and a totally broken one that needs a replacement asap.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

53 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Mohamed Seidam. That is a good question.

My personal reccomendations:

Before the drive:

1) Check your engine fluid levels: (engine oil, transmission oil, coolant). If you are not sure how to do this, ask the technician on your next visit to the workshop to show you. NEVER OPEN THE COOLANT CAP WHILE THE ENGINE IS HOT !!

2) Physically check your tyres and tyre pressures. If one tyre is having low pressure, it might be a minor leak/puncture.

3) Go through your offroad tools and make sure everything is in the car. (as per your drive level).

4) Make sure you have a full gas tank when you arrive at the deflation point.

After the drive:

1) Clean out your air filter by gently tapping it, the sand will fall out. 

2) Inflate back to normal tyre pressure and inspect your tyres and the rest of your car for any damage incurred from offroading. 

3) On the way home, turn off the radio and listen if you spot any strange noises, inbalance, or something that was not there before. From heavy offroading, the wear and tear on items such as shocks, bushings, link rods will accelerate and will lead to wheel inbalance, clunky noises while braking, or other suspicious sounds. If you had a pop-out there will mostprobably be some sand inside the tyre that can also contribute to inbalance.

Get to know your vehicle and do not ignore these early warning signs. Bring it to a competent workshop and let them inspect and show you what is worn and needs replacement. There is a difference between a slightly worn bushing that can still last a few years, and a totally broken one that needs a replacement asap.

Thank you a lot Frederic 

• Like (+1) 2