•  
Advertise here

Digital Temperature Monitoring : Xterra

Well done @Nivin for sharing this, reading at 20 times pressing knob, I highly doubt if most Xterra owners know this little secret.

I seriously wish such digital temp monitoring tool comes stock in most 4x4 as needle gauge has immense dead spot and will not move from 70-105 degrees and by the time it moves, its already too late.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

There are other parameters you can monitor in this self diagnostics mode including battery charge. I have done it before and I think you have to press the trip reset knob 5 times to initiate the complete self diagnosis (don't remember if its 7 times).

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Well done @Nivin for sharing this, reading at 20 times pressing knob, I highly doubt if most Xterra owners know this little secret.

I seriously wish such digital temp monitoring tool comes stock in most 4x4 as needle gauge has immense dead spot and will not move from 70-105 degrees and by the time it moves, its already too late.

@Gaurav have you any experience with https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/ 

it seems a relatively affordable and comprehensive way to bring digital readouts to our old school rigs.  its deliverable to Dxb via Amazon

Now! i have no idea what to do with the information i am looking at so a needle that moves from 'good' to 'bad' matches my level of knowledge however i suspect i will want to (and need to) learn more specifics especially as the car ages.  if you/others have any recommendations for digital gauges that would be great discussion topic. 

thanks

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks @Niki Patel being with old rig and so madly in love, my choices are super limited.

@Frederic has been very kind in sharing the work around and helping me get the digital gauge last year.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 2.17.49 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav you may have caused an avalanche of messages to @Frederic for a similar set up as there is many of us in love with our old rigs (mine is just ‘new’ in price as inside it feels I have stepped back in time). 

Thanks for sharing and @Frederic we may need a new analog to digital thread to learn experiences setting up these gauges and how best to use/program .. will reach out for guidance when I take the step. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I am not driving my X on the sand if this is not open in front of me. Don't forget X owners after 110C you will start losing coolant and start damaging your engine. My advice if you see above 100C stop, put the gear on N and give some gas to let the car to circulate coolant. With doing this it is coming down to 93C very quickly. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 hour ago, Niki Patel said:

@Gaurav you may have caused an avalanche of messages to @Frederic for a similar set up as there is many of us in love with our old rigs (mine is just ‘new’ in price as inside it feels I have stepped back in time). 

Thanks for sharing and @Frederic we may need a new analog to digital thread to learn experiences setting up these gauges and how best to use/program .. will reach out for guidance when I take the step. 

@Niki Patel be happy, you have the OBD2 Protocol that allows for things like Scan-gauge, Bluetooth modules with Iphone connectivity, and so many other options.
What i've installed in our little old Pajeros is something very simple:

1) 12VDC Temperature Controller, with Alarm Level setting (would enable you to connect a buzzer or light to warn you when you are exceeding a certain treshold).

Example:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Universal-Thermostat-Input-PT100-K-Thermocouple_62299416722.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.0.0.76bc7700tawtYr

2) Thermocouple sensor (0...200°C or higher) of a decent quality:

Example:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/thermocouple-type-j-and-k_60704924051.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_image.21811dd6kpWmKD

Above are just some examples, before ordering double check the specs as Alibaba can be confusing. The first model i received was for 220Volts.

To connect the sensor without drilling holes in the cars water circulation system, i searched for the original temp. sensor location and clamped the new sensor tightly against the manifold body with a metal hoseclip. This works fine and is more than accurate enough ( the manifold body obtains the same temperature as the circulating water). 

But If you would really want it to measure the actual water circulation, you could get the following:

DRZ400 Water Temperature Sensor Install

For me, the accuracy is more than good enough, and i see an immediate change when switching on the AC, and during hot days. 

This whole setup costed me less than 200dhs and took the 12V supply initially from the cigarette lighter plug, and later connected it to the radio power supply.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic - i can no longer classify my rig as 'old'!  not having OBD2 interface is like my kids not comprehending a time before internet!... i am in awe of you 'old rig' owners!

thanks for sharing this setup - i love how you have DIY'd this - Frederic you remind me of one of my fav youtube channels

Let me know if you have any recommended OBD2 Bluetooth setups as Amazon is flooded with items and difficult to make my way through that.  no worries if not as i now have a topic to research in my spare time!

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Nivin said:

We have more Xterra’s at @Carnity Family thought of sharing this which you might know but it will be useful for others who don’t know.

Step1 will take through the self diagnosis mode where there are 50 functions out of which i found this as the most useful one

Summer is early this year and we need to be extra careful about the temperature our vehicle. These steps will show how to keep realtime digital reading of your Xterra temperature while driving on the cluster.

Step 1:

• Press and hold the trip reset knob while your car is turned off

Knob.jpg.fa89f46ecefdcc408099c6bf3805816c.jpg

Step 2:

• Turn on the Ignition.

Step 3:

• Once the beep sound comes and the gauges reset, Press the Reset knob for 20 times.

GAGE.jpg.7bff2c86cb733a363d2162587759030c.jpg

Step 4:

• Turn on the car and you’re ready to go. You can monitor the digital temperature on the cluster.

Temperature.jpg.5732e99b5d1e0e478eba1ad914130ca5.jpg

Note:

1. Do not turn off the ignition after step 2, it will go back to normal if you do so.
  2. Once you turn of the engine it will again go back to normal
  3. At step 3 if you press the reset knob for 17 times it will show digital speed on the cluster

Speed.jpg.9ad89078f893d582038b6d12e0463db9.jpg

Normal temperature will be from 81-90
While off-roading it will go from 91-99
Hill climbing and extreme drive it can go upto 108

excellent @Nivin  very informative for the new owners of X especially on sand and like @sertac I never drive on sand without this on as digital reading is more sharp to the eye than analogue and precise quantitative measure. 

also below is the video how to do it 

• Like (+1) 4