•  
Advertise here

Emergency First Response in road accident

I have recently attended a First Aid Course that covers Emergency First Response in case of Road Accident in UAE, that has opened my eyes and i should share that with you guys here for your benefit.

Many of us think if we come across a major road accident and some live needs our help then we should immediately run to save their lives with whatever we can. However, there is very big line that we all need to draw from what we can and what we should not and this is the part that was eye opening for me. According to UAE law in severe accident person approaching the sight should call 999 which covers ambulance and police both and report the accident with full details and request to dispatch paramedic and ambulance.

If the victim is in state to walk out of the accident scene, then its good and you should talk to them and be with them until ambulance and police arrives. If victim is unconscious or stuck inside the vehicle then DO NOT ATTEMPT to take him out or touch or talk. This strict law is there to protect victim life, as we don't know what in panic situation we will do with zero knowledge of emergency first response. As if we try to pull out unconsciousness victim out and damage his body part or make situation more serious. If you are certified with Emergency First Response in last six month, then you can carefully approach him and check for sign of bleeding or stroke or pulse and report to incoming ambulance and they can advise you if you should do anything or not. So bottom line is we should not become hero and start our own road side medical practice and wait for ambulance.

With all good intentions, if you try to become a hero and god forbid if something goes wrong then all the blame will come on you and we all should know and remember this, that help is only needed when its help and not unwanted expertise. In Dubai we have so many different nationalities and cultures, so just imagine if everyone start practicing their style of techniques and emergency response then it will very difficult for paramedic guys to save people lives . So we all should understand their real cause and respect that and be ready to help them until the point its required.

After being certified first aid officer, i really realized that so many things that we think is right is not actually right and can cause more damage. In simple terms, if we come across somebody faint in office as a first response we will try to wake him up by pushing, shaking or sprinkling some water. And that's wrong, first we need to move person in side way position with keeping his/her breathing airway open by resting his head on his folded arm and check for breathing and then pulse.....long procedure of so many steps and conditions that i was surprise to learn all this and feel blessed. I hope we all learn something from my above explanation and abide to Emergency First Response guidelines and law of the land. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ramzi, for sharing these tips here with everyone. I remember or recall many points from 6 years back first aid training i had in my ex company. Many things are so obvious but we tend to forget when we are in panic situation. Good you put it here for everyone to learn and understand even if they have not gone thru such training.