•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Faqa - Dubai - 19 Mar 2021

Chaitanya D

8 hours ago, Sajit Modiyil said:

Thank you @Chaitanya D. Altogether a different experience driving under your lead. Bit embarrassed to see me crested before even seeing actual dunes. Thank you @Gaurav Soni & @Nabil Bishara for their excellent support and assistance in recoveries. 

No need to be embarrassed. You have only started the learning process of desert driving, Experienced drivers and machines get stuck. Every stuck is a new learning. One day you will master the finesse of throttle control which will lessen the stuck situation but will not eliminate it completely. @Carnity doesn't leave you or the machine stranded in the desert until you are recovered and can safely drive back home. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

21 hours ago, Sajit Modiyil said:

Altogether a different experience driving under your lead. Bit embarrassed to see me crested before even seeing actual dunes

Dear @Sajit Modiyil I hope the experience was good 😆and you /we all learned something new. 

Getting crested is not at all an embarrassment, you should have seen me on newbie drives smiling on the crest of every dune waiting for some one to pull me out. As you do more you will get it better every time, you were great as second lead. Thank you!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Trip Report:

Coming back here on consecutive Friday with a newbie convoy was my plan to test myself , and you all as to how we can venture and get out in time as planned. I am telling you this now at the start because the last time we ventured here with a newbie convoy we all came out around 1PM if I remember correctly. Well that was a super eventful one, and this Friday was equally fun.

Quick learning points :

- Dune crossing straight up and down is a safe maneuver which you will learn as you progress. We had quite a few crests at the start may be because many were rusty . We did practice this  on a dune and you all got a feel of how to do it correctly.

- Keeping a close watch of the track in front of you in tight technical areas is important to get along with out a refusal or stuck. Technical dunes mean closely packed smaller dunes with softer sand ( read super-soft considering we are entering summer)which sink the best of drivers

- Communicate effectively by identifying your self with longer sentences on the radio.

- Use the momentum you gain getting in of bowls to gas up at the bottom and use the same momentum to exit out.

@Sajit Modiyil was a great 2nd lead, following my directions correctly and re routing when advised to. Thank you

@Gautamaialni was a bit shy of gas in some areas . Getting it right will come with practice, but as the drive went along you were getting better and better. Well done

@Hossam Anwar drove his Pajero well with minimal issues. I hope you have taken my advise for being in your car sportively, considering the COVID precautions. Well driven my friend.

@Adhir Saxena missed out on this drive.

@GauravSoni was our center forward for this drive and was very active in the recoveries. He himself got stuck in soft sand while doing a recovery in a tight area, but was quickly recovered. I really appreciate you understanding advise to get on to more newbie drives for learning recoveries and you yourself getting better as a driver. Thank you for your support!

@Ammar Naji has many drives under his belt now, and is good to see how you are getting better each time driving the longish expedition. With your experience be ready now to get more involved with roles as support/ as 2nd lead where you have to involve yourself , communicate and help the lead/other members on the drive.

@Daniel Rodas managed the looooong RAM quite well on this terrain considering we went into some tight dunes. Dune crossing needs some practice especially for a long car like yours, but you will get it very soon. Please consider to remove the lower fascia /air dam on the front end of your truck as it will invariably break or come off in few more drives.

@Ben84 congratulations on your Fewbie promotion and well driven. You showed you truly deserved the promotion by showing how well you manage the Rubicon in varied terrains.

@Thomas Varghese did well in his white xterra , with no / minimal issues. Well done my friend

@Nabil Bishara thanks for your amazing support , sweep and advises. Truly appreciate your presence and your calm demeanor is great to have on any drive. 

We did close to 36 Km , exit as scheduled around 10.15am which was great considering we were in a challenging terrain at Faqa. 

If you have completed the required number of drive and you yourself feel you are ready for the next level , please apply for your promotion online. Leads/ Seniors will review and get back to you if needed with advised to make you a safe and better sand driver. Most importantly do not forget to enjoy and learn from your drives !

Enjoy your week and see you all soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@Chaitanya D

I enjoy driving alongside with as I learn something new every time. Thank you for spending time and effort to remind all drivers with the basics (self recovery, communication, right gear selection, etc). I like the statistics bit at the end of each drive as it puts things in Perspective for many of us. Stay safe and see you soon.

Edited by Ammar Naji
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use