•  
Advertise here

Paint Work Damage

Niki

Hi all,

Though initially a little sad to see, i have now considered this a badge of honor and maybe my first war-wound from offroading.  The bonnet on my car came out of the weekend drive with 2 small stone chips that removed the black paint.  I also have a tiny crack on the plastic bumper (less of a concern).

My ask for advice centers on -

1. Do I need to get the stone damage that chipped away the paint repaired? (i suspect that's an easy YES)
  2. Does it need to be done asap?  (I park the car indoors, its not the daily driver)
  3. DO you recommend just doing a DIY/Home touch up vs taking it anywhere special.  

I am not concerned by the visuals (I bought the car to offroad so am proud this happened on the sabkhas and not the malls :) ) - its more to ensure i do not risk greater damage over time from a tiny chip. 

Thanks in advance!

Car: Toyota FJ Cruiser (Black) 

• Like (+1) 4

@Niki Patel you've seen my vehicle and I'm not bothered if RTA passes my vehicle every year. Its my off-road toy and I keep it in good shape on the inside, the outside shows all the battle scars and everything gets touched up once a year while passing. @Brette on the other hand is very particular, or atleast used to be to keep a good shine on all his vehicles and could be more helpful. @Gaurav bhai I have high regards for to keep his 20+ year old car looking like it just stepped out from the showroom floor.

I think important would be your concern in long term basis if its going to have any adverse effect. Don't want to see a nice FJC suffer in long run.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Niki Patel said:

Hi all,

Though initially a little sad to see, i have now considered this a badge of honor and maybe my first war-wound from offroading.  The bonnet on my car came out of the weekend drive with 2 small stone chips that removed the black paint.  I also have a tiny crack on the plastic bumper (less of a concern).

My ask for advice centers on -

1. Do I need to get the stone damage that chipped away the paint repaired? (i suspect that's an easy YES)
  2. Does it need to be done asap?  (I park the car indoors, its not the daily driver)
  3. DO you recommend just doing a DIY/Home touch up vs taking it anywhere special.  

I am not concerned by the visuals (I bought the car to offroad so am proud this happened on the sabkhas and not the malls :) ) - its more to ensure i do not risk greater damage over time from a tiny chip. 

Thanks in advance!

Car: Toyota FJ Cruiser (Black) 

I think it's indeed wise to repair it, and while not urgent, i think you can probably check with Toyota if they sell these 'touch-up' pens in the exact same colour of your car. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Niki Patel if not concerned about the aesthetics, I'd say say just sand it down a bit your self and touch it up with a brush and let it dry completely. Once done, sand it with 2000 grit sand paper and finish it with a polish/wax. Alternately, get a couple of cans of plastidip from ace for 40 AED each and spray the entire hood with 4 good layers. It is a rubber paint and will easily last for 2 years and when you don't want it any more, just peel it off. There are some good tutorials on how to do DIY plastidip on YouTube. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

My experience with 1 time DIY was horrible and since then I'm happy to repaint per panel for 300-400 dhs. I recently got the passenger side 3 panels repainted due some more than usual scars.

If its very minor one, simply touch up for 5-6 times (layers) and then seal off with clear coat touch up paint. Ace sells all color pens.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav you seem to have expertise in the car painting area.  If you have a recommendation for a garage or shop to repair some paint flakes that were so nicely removed by a guy with a high pressure wand at a local car wash facility, I would appreciate it.  I can’t seem to get the owner to respond to my requests... and I want to get it touched up.  Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use