•  

Type Of Floor Jack For Lifted Cars?

Hey everyone, I am looking forward towards purchasing a floor jack for my vehicle as a bottle jack is really not recommended in sand. I read some previous threads and concluded that a Low-Profile Jack from JZX or YATO is the best option, as they are reliable and can easily be tucked under a vehicle without any digging required. After doing some research on the product, I found out that the Max height of a Low-Profile Jack is 14 inches (JZX)(Extenders are Not in Stock) (A standard jack has Max height of 19").

Now my question is that, is it suitable for a lifted car?. I drive a Jeep Wrangler that has a 2.5" Lift Kit with 33" tires, so it's a bit higher than a stock wrangler. So, as per my measurements, the center of my vehicle is 16.5" above a flat surface, and another contact point for the jack would be my front axle's truss reinforcement, as it is flat and sturdy, which is 12" above a flat surface. Meaning that I would only get a 2" lift if I were to lift the front. The jack board may add a inch or two but would it be enough(especially when lifting the back side)?. 

As per my knowledge, I have concluded that a standard jack is more practical for lifted cars compared to a Low-Profile one. Now, @Frederic, @Gaurav, @Rahimdad, @Srikumar, what would be your take on this?

• Like (+1) 7

The best jacking point for any vehicle is by lifting the lower control arm. If you recollect when we had the popout on the Shuwaib Drive, we used a JZX jack and lifted your car from the lower control arm.

The space from the ground to the lower control arm only increases with bigger tyre size. So if you go from a stock 31 inch tyre to 33 inch tyre, this space actually increases by half the difference in diameter change, which in this case is 0.5 x 2 inch = 1 inch. 

Also the lower control arm is positioned below the centre line of the tyre.

Hope this answers your query.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

LCA as Sri has told above.

Other options to increase the working availability for your jack would be

1. slotted rubber jack pads to get some additional height.

Screenshot_20210325-082821_Chrome.jpg.e2d48cab37edb77c3f147f6f52785ec4.jpg

2. Using a slightly thicker wooden plank below 

Generally in a pop out situation the height is lowered further than what you calculate on tarmac or firm ground. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

To add to what @Srikumar and Dr @Chaitanya D have said, after a bit of a lift you can always dig under the tire. Also if you can't find a thicker plank you can use 2 planks of wood.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

ARB Jack with the optional ground stand looks usable but highly expensive, I find this YouTube video helpful to assess different kinds of Jacks >> 

• Like (+1) 3

@Srikumar@Chaitanya D@Rahimdad@Zed Thanks a lot for your input, really helped me a lot with my decision.

I settled with this:

2B099F30-E386-4F40-A6B1-4E65F089F4BE.thumb.jpeg.ee49e2f574436f810f44fbb3554c1ea4.jpeg

- JZX 2T Low-Profile jack

- 2in thick wooden jack board (probably will eliminate the need for an extension)

- Incase an extension is required, I plan to use that wooden cube, placed between the jack and the car body. (It was suggested by the jack retailer, what would you say about this?)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Not needed to be honest, but no harm in carrying it if you have the space in your car. Another option is if you really need additional height (which I really doubt) is to use the spare wheel followed by the jack board and the jack.

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

5F5DDC8B-E535-47D2-9A38-C14EB3688706.thumb.jpeg.f92517ff3163793faea3978bb73779e7.jpeg

Hey @varunmehndiratta, Everything is already sorted, strapped and secured 😉. Lets just ignore the fact that I wont be able to fit anything else in the trunk as it has been utilized to its max capacity 😂, but it is pretty organized and thats all I need.

Your JLU has a much bigger trunk I guess, so it wont be a big challenge for you I suppose 😁

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Oh goodness...this is awesome. Till now I could store everything in under the mat cove on my JL and compressor under rear seat. , only had flag in the trunk... I think it's high time i get some molle bags. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use