•  

COVID19 Compliant - Saturday Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Mystery Drive - Dubai? - 03 Apr 2021

Ale Vallecchi

5 hours ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

A huge thanks @Ale Vallecchi and @Wrangeld for leading these drives 😀 You guys are birds of feather when it comes to great write-ups; shrouded with excitement and mystery🤣

To all my fellow drivers, I have a few thoughts to share with you. Here it goes:

1. Please allot ample time for the drive (no early commitments so we don’t have to exit early). Plus you know in desert driving, you control your entry time, but not so much your exit time.

2. Please don’t bring “green” passengers, especially if they haven’t been to the desert before and you are not sure if they will get sick on the drive. Also, I cannot stress enough that it’s your responsibility to have all passengers on the drive seat belted and secured. You are the captain of the car and your rules go. Do not let your passengers talk you into not wearing a seat belt because they feel sick or trapped. Everyone, especially small children should be belted; period. 

3. Please make sure your car is desert worthy and free of mechanical problems at the time of the drive. The car is overheating slightly on SZR, translates into an engine blow-up in the desert. The heat and the demanding drives have been amplifying car issues lately.

4.Make sure your radio is fully charged and/or have a spare battery or a spare (charged) radio. Once on the drive, speak clearly into the radio. Start speaking a second or so after you press the PTT button and release the button a second or so after you’ve finished speaking. If you get stuck, please announce your name, your car make and if possible your position in the convoy.

5. Please be at the meeting point at a time you deem is enough for you to get your flag up and your tires deflated and ready for the drive. The pre-drive prep varies from person to person, so operate on your own timeline. Just be in your car, ready to drive with your radio switched on, at the starting time of the drive. 

Finally, I would like to stress that I say all the above with the utmost respect and love for everyone. Lately, I’ve experienced some or all of the above issues on my drives, and they have made our actual driving time way shorter than anticipated, and diminished the desert experience for most of us. 

In any event, I hope I’m not overstepping by sharing my two cents. I’m merely expressing my feelings aloud on the forum. 

With that, if @Ale Vallecchi, @Wrangeldor @Gaurav do not murder me for running my mouth, I will see you all on the sand on Saturday. Otherwise, know I’ll be dead and buried somewhere in “Dubai’s Middle Earth” 🤣

Thanks a lot @Ahab Shamaa for your very welcome recommendations. They are very valuable, especially coming not from a Marshal, but from a loyal member, who has had the opportunity of doing many drives with many leads, and can share a personal, yet well informed, point of view with us and other members.

The points you raise are extremely valid, and very important to remember. They do guarantee that all drives are run as smoothly as possible, to the full satisfaction of all members. No harm at all done, in reminding fellow drivers some of the courtesies, as well as the technical requirements, which will ensure the drives are as enjoyable and safe as possible. 

All members, please take these points seriously, as they are usually not part of our formal briefings, but should actually be kept in mind by all, while preparing for a drive.

From the safety point of view, the request to always make sure your car is desert worthy is paramount. This means to constantly listen to the car. notice any strange sounds coming from it, at any time, make sure you always clean your filter after every drive, you regularly check the engine fluids, and periodically take the car in for an all around check-up. 

The other issues being raised by Ahab are a matter of courtesy, but not less important to insure a pleasant drive. 

Thanks Ahab, and see you this Saturday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

10 hours ago, andy_macdxb said:

Hey Ale and all others, love the sound of the drive, but I must withdraw as will be out of country on a last minute getaway. Have fun and I will definitely check the debrief to see where you desertnuts end up. Have fun 👍 and drive safe-ish.

Thanks @andy_macdxb for the update. Enjoy the trip. 

• Like (+1) 1

~snip *If there is a spot available I would like to be waitlisted for this drive please.*

Edit: I could join apparently. 

Edited by Goutam
  • Like (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

49 minutes ago, Goutam said:

~snip *If there is a spot available I would like to be waitlisted for this drive please.*

Edit: I could join apparently. 

Yes @Goutam. The drive is still open with 1 more spot after the one you took. Welcome to........ (mystery 😆)!

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Francois Germishuys said:

Hi @Ale Vallecchi any spot open for me? First drive and only drive for the weekend.

Hello @Francois Germishuys. You are IN.

See you on Saturday

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use