•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Tawi Nizwa to Badayer - Sharjah - 2 Apr 2021

Rahimdad

TRIP REPORT

Shorter convoy means more fun. That was our fate for the day. With 3 no-shows we were left with the perfect 10. As we deflated and put our flags up, face paint and everything to renumber the convoy and get the briefing out of the way. We headed in to be parallel to another group to the right of us. We had to wait briefly for that convoy to cross us. We then headed right into some awesome rolling dunes as we negotiated our way towards our first play area on Pink Rocks. As we took our chances to try going as high as possible and safely come back down, more convoys started to come around us. At this point I announced for a last round and we managed to complete a round 2 before heading forward towards more challenges.

It was pleasing to see the entire convoy cross over Pink Rocks to the other side. From here the only way I love and is a great learning ground is to the Big rolling dunes leading to the Big Red. I was able to play around in the big rolling dunes to my hearts content, thanks to a convoy which never let me down. Although we had a couple of convoys around us but we managed really well as a convoy to march on without being distracted.

Soon we were at the base of Big Red and tried to scale it from the side. It's really a shame to see so many cross tracks as it's easy to loose momentum and we got a really bad stuck in a pocket behind Big Red. @Lakshmi Narasimhan rear bumper was rested on the dune behind with a steep climb in a soft patch. We were lucky to have a winch with @Richard Franks who selflessly volunteered and helped us out with the recovery. Guess what, it was my turn as I wedged myself in between 3 dunes and needed a pull from @Paul Zeitoun to come out of that situation.

But the convoy was so determined that we were able to catch a different line and all the vehicles were on top of Big Red. This ofcourse was not void of challenges posed by other convoys trying to go between us. I am proud that out convoy stayed patient and sensible to avoid any issues. At this point the heat was slowly picking up and with the clock striking 10 am we were put and inflating. I am so pleased to see everybody coming so well prepared and following all instructions so well to have safe fun. Also the newbie convoys I have got recently are always willing to push themselves as they try to learn and polish their off road skills.

@Rawad Bahsas was my second lead. Initially he seemed to leave a long gap and surely to compensate if I made any mistakes or was in danger. But after a quick word I saw hi. Comfortably taking his Y62 beast everywhere with utmost confidence ready to reroute or stop as necessary.

@Ranjan Pattanaik was my surprise package with his Explorer as he traversed all dunes without a single hiccup. It takes a whole lot to handle that Explorer, and he came prepared as he explored all corners of Pink Rock and Big Red today.

@Roger K with his LR3 was not a new sight for me. Having had a Discovery 1 I know the challenges that come along with this beast. But @Roger K knows how to tame this beast and I did not see him struggle. So he has managed to impress me 2 drives in a row now. The LR3 is not a climber, but maybe a bit moody, as I have seen it scale Faya.

@Lakshmi Narasimhan drives the beautiful special edition Pajero with all the bells and whistles. He manages to put his machine through all the tests with flying colors. However a little refinement and finesse required to make the manoeuvres look awesome, he is practicing on those skills and I'm sure I will see him next time to have refined and move with grace.

@Gregory was such a pleasure to have on the drive. Sure he was quiet, but smiling everytine I had a glance which tells me he enjoyed the journey to as much as I did. From the glimpses I had I could see him doing everything right and not a single step out of sync.

@Nikola Bozovic was the savior today helping out @GauravSoni with his spare radio. @Nikola Bozovic had guests today and the way he handled his ride were comfortable throughout the trip and with their gestures all I can say were fully satisfied with his fine driving and our route selection.

@GauravSoni from last time when he signed up for my drive and by mistake drove to @Gaurav bhai meeting point by mistake, this was going to be our first drive together. But his radio not being charged almost took this opportunity away from us, @Nikola Bozovic was able to lend his spare radio to save the day. @GauravSoni not only handled the terrain well but was putting in the hard work as a Centre Forward to keep the convoy moving. At one point @Gregory was stuck in a soft patch and his knowledge of the Pajero saved the day.

@Richard Franks has a Rubicon and still discovering all the options available to him. Sway bar disconnect option is one of them which he did not need today. I was surprised to see him do about 60% of thrips with his traction control on. I hope you felt the difference one we had the ESC disabled. My moment of joy came when he announced he had a winch in @Lakshmi Narasimhan stuck. This was a lesson for all of us to be able to recover with such a difficult stuck. Can't thank @Richard Franks enough. Looking forward to many more drives with you.

Last but by no means the least was our real Super hero today @Paul Zeitoun. Its such a pleasurable experience driving with you. Not only are you picking up awesome driving skills but also a sense of humor from some of the seniors in the club. At Pink Rock play area I really thought I was going to be without a sweep till the other side as you almost touched the Rocks on top. The Hemi is a real beast, but it needs its match to be able to do all that you did so gracefully. Seems like we both like to talk so much the rest of the convoy doesn't find a moment to put in a word of their own. I have always admired the way you handle the Ram, it has its challenges, but you really make it look simpler than it is.

Thank you everyone for reading this section. Every now and then I like to go back and read through my own trip reports from the past as I reminisce some of those awesome trips I've had with some amazing people. Until next time I bid you all farewell. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thanks Rahimdad for a great drive, and a humorous, flowing trip report - another skill you have besides offroading 👍 Some great points for me especially in terms of the Pajero gearbox/diff lock etc. Appreciate all the advice and tips from yourself, Gaurav and Paul! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks @Rahimdad and the entire convoy, it was great smooth drive till I got struck while self recovering. Special thanks to @Richard Franks for the recovery winch and all those who helped pulling me out and all others waiting with so much patience. This team work will take us to heights. More than learning to drive it is awesome to be in the convoy. @Rahimdad today i had second drive in the afternoon and managed to have my first drive with 0 refusals and Struck. With all marshals guidance I am learning fast. I am getting very close to manage the right momentum even on the churned up sand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thank you @Rahimdad and the fellow team leads for taking us on a wonderful journey today.  It was beautiful watching the sun come up as we weaved our way through the dunes.  My LR3 was definitely challenged in the second part of the drive and it was good to be humbled a little after having so few incidents on my previous drives.  I have a lot of learning to do, and welcome the advice by all.  Lastly, it was my wife's first desert drive and she had a great time.   Thank you for making her feel welcome!  Have  great week!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thank you @Rahimdad@Paul Zeitoun and @GauravSoni for the wonderful day and sorry for being silent most of the time😅😅 but you gotta cut us some slack as we were so focused trying to impress you

Here is a link for my front camera footage while we were all taking turns to climb in the playing area

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1jsFsdkxK7vQfHTS1MlNzFDOS2Vq-nUFd

My camera stopped before reaching the big red, so if anyone has some cool shots please share them

until next time 🤙🤙

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thank you so much @Rahimdad & team.  Appreciated for all your effort and smooth handling the convoy. I liked very much your +ve attitude towards all of your team members, also the encouragement you provide to the drivers which make us more confident to go along. I have learnt a lot and will keep on learning from every drive. This is the good opportunity to grab all experience from Marshals like you all. Eagerly waiting for next drive with you.. Thank you all for support and patience, especially to the seniors who guided us to complete the session perfectly. 

• Like (+1) 3

@Rahimdad my wild guess is you are testing us having your friends to cross our path to test how our convoy reacts!!! Is my guess correct.

• Haha (+1) 2

Everybody drove so well! I thought I was in fewbie convoy! Thanks @Rahimdad for amazing drive and advice for recovery! @Nikola Bozovic you saved my day! I think I overcharged my Radio last night which caused issue. I went straight to dragon mart to get another radio for my afternoon drive and now I too have a spare radio for someone like me in need! 
It was amazing to see the team attempt the pink rock climb with such confidence and perfect execution. I think none fishtailed which just shows the amount of work the marshals do guiding each driver over radio at newbie level to make them understand the terrain and learn to control their beasts! 
thnaks @Paul Zeitoun for the sweep! 
@Rawad Bahsas you drove brilliant 2nd lead! 
@Gregory well driven! I don’t recall myself getting unstuck with such ease during my newbie drives! 
@Lakshmi Narasimhan I haven’t seen an almost brand new pajero on the dunes until I saw your car! Sometime You can drive a flawless drive or you get stuck on invisible pocket! But it’s at that instance you will learn more about yourself and your car! 

since it’s covid times didn’t get the chance to meet the other drivers. Hopefully this will be thing of the past soon!

until next time!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use