•  

Prepping car for summer driving

Jasim Khumi

Hi guys, with summer approaching, what are the steps to prep our car for summer drives?

I can think of the following,

1. During day drives, it will be crucial to monitor engine oil and coolant temperature, whats the best way to monitor this? can someone recommend a OBD2 reader with an app?

(Edit: Is my vehicle even OBD2 compliant ? I'm not able to find this information on Google, I drive a 06 Pajero)

2. For night drives, is it mandatory to add additional lights, if so can you suggest a few options?

Edited by Jasim Khumi
  • Like (+1) 5

1. Yes a OBD sensor should help you. I read you have a SWB Pajero and hence overheating should be less of a probability if you use tiptronic gears and lesser weight means lesser strain on the engine/transmissions. Some senior members here have installed a extra fan on their pajeros for better cooling which is switched on while off-roading . ( For my car - Xterra there is a hack to get the engine temperature in degrees which helps to keep the heating checked)

2. Not mandatory to have off road lights, high beam with fog lamps should be okay as you will be following the car in front of you. Totally your comfort and choice to get an additional light, which is always helpful nevertheless on a night drive.

My two cents, I am not a Pajero expert. Other members will shed more light for sure in due course

• Like (+1) 4

In your model of Pajero there might not be any issue of AT overheating. This is a more common problem in newer model Pajeros.

Having said that, ensure that you don't outrun the life of the fluids and keep checking them. If you are running water jn your radiator it might be a better option to shift to coolant.

Regarding additional lights, I second what Chaitanya says. But if your lights are dull and faded it would be worthwhile to get some high wattage LED lights. Options depend on your budget, but I would recommend Toby's high wattage spot LED light. You would turn night into day 🙂

• Like (+1) 5

Ive never had any heating issues with my Pajero, but to be on the safe side, I just want to monitor them so I can take necessary action if during monitoring if I see the temps going high, Ive read on the forums that the guages in the car rise up when its already too late.

Any specific obd scanners you would recommend?

Regarding lighting, it makes sense, i'll come for a few night drives and then add them if necessary.

• Like (+1) 3

Hey @Jasim Khumi, your model of Pajero is not likely to have heating issues like the new ones as far as your car is well maintained and serviced.

The OBD scanner is a good idea to monitor but Pajero does not have a lot of sensors e.g you will get the actual coolant temperature but not ATF temperature....

For summer, i would recommend to:

1. change your coolant fluid if it has not been changed in a while. 

2. get the Air Conditioning System checked and topped up the AC Gas if required as you will need your Air Conditioning more

3. keep a good eye on the Tyres regularly because it will be exposed to higher temperature and stress as well.

Lastly, as usual keep monitoring your gauges when driving.

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use