•  
Advertise here

Wheel unbalance after desert drive.

I drive a 2019 grand Cherokee trail hawk with 18 inch wheels and BFG Tyres. From past 3 desert drives, the balance weights on wheel gets lost causing high vibrations after drive and this would have me take the car to the service shop for wheel balancing which is a pain and not worth.

While this may not be limited to my car, I am interested to learn from the community members if they have experienced anything like this and what do you do to overcome the issue of wheel unbalance after a desert drive.
thanks! 

Edited by VipinShetty
  • Like (+1) 4

If this happens after _every_ drive, sounds like something(s) might be loose. Get under your car with those camping headlight strapped on the head and inspect:

Good luck, hope you find the cause and can fix it before the next drive ☺️

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I could feel vibration after 90km/h after a particular drive where I suffered a popout

I got all 4 wheels balanced recently. The popout wheel got cleaned and there was a heap of sand on the inside.

Since then I did not face any vibration above 90km/h. I hope it stays that way. 

• Like (+1) 7

6 hours ago, topgear said:

I could feel vibration after 90km/h after a particular drive where I suffered a popout

I got all 4 wheels balanced recently. The popout wheel got cleaned and there was a heap of sand on the inside.

Since then I did not face any vibration above 90km/h. I hope it stays that way. 

I haven’t suffered any pop outs, but to clear any doubts I did remove the Tyres off the rim and checked...  no sand. the desert takes away my balance weights 😅 and then there is vibration... 

• Like (+1) 5

Hey @VipinShetty, the exact thing you’ve described happens to me after the desert drives. The car vibrates once I start driving on the road. I’ve experienced the vibration with my old wheels and Yokohama tires, and my new wheels and Cooper tires.
From my experience, desert driving does affect the balance of the tires... The severity of the after desert vibration varies from drive to drive. I’ve also had instances where I don’t have vibration on the road after a desert drive. Go figure! I swear, the last bit is just to confuse me more 😂

In any event, you’re not alone in this, and unfortunately, I don’t know why this happens...

• Like (+1) 6

Totally agree with @Rob Harper it's the weight placement issue.

Change your tire balancing place at first and get to someone who still use old style clip on weight that get hammered on to the edge of the wheel, than just stick on pads.

If there is no sand in the tire, surely clip on weight will solve the issue.

You will only loose those clip on weight (10% chance) if you have a pop out or hard impact like air born jump exactly on the that area, highly unlikely.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I also had vibration on my new tyres ( balancing done while changing), i got the balancing done second time and it got resolved. I am not sure if the guy did balancing first didn’t do a proper job or the golden touch of the second guy!!!

• Like (+1) 5

On 4/4/2021 at 3:13 AM, VipinShetty said:

I drive a 2019 grand Cherokee trail hawk with 18 inch wheels and BFG Tyres. From past 3 desert drives, the balance weights on wheel gets lost causing high vibrations after drive and this would have me take the car to the service shop for wheel balancing which is a pain and not worth.

While this may not be limited to my car, I am interested to learn from the community members if they have experienced anything like this and what do you do to overcome the issue of wheel unbalance after a desert drive.
thanks! 

From time to time the little sticker weights on the metal rim get worn or lost from frequent sand rubbing which causes the vibration on tarmac. Just get them balanced bro and vibration will be gone . Off course if there is deviation of the car left or right there will be another causes however if it’s the vibration only most luckily it’s the wheel balance . 

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1