•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Fossil Rock - Sharjah - 9 Apr 2021

Rahimdad

@Chinthaka Ruwan you can get either Baofeng UV5R, or UV9R or Motorola or Crony MT777. Make sure these are UHF and not VHF, although Baofeng has both UHF and VHF which is great. Baofeng also has a torch and FM radio, we are waiting for the latest models to come with a portable winch as well. 😜

• Haha (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

Time to close up the drive and share the convoy numbering and the radio channel we will be using tomorrow.

DRIVE RSVP IS NOW CLOSED

Convoy numbering:

Rahimdad Pathfinder Lead
Ranjan Pattanaik Ford Explorer SL
Rizwan Waheed Pajero LWB  
Daniel Fernandez Pajero LWB  
Lakshmi Narasimhan Pajero LWB  
Roger K LR3  
Rawad Bahsas Patrol Y62  
Tbone Xterra CF
Chinthaka Ruwan Xterra  
10  Pierre de Maigret FJC  
11  TT_Dubai JK - Chessboard  
12  Yawa JK - Yellow  
13  Richard Franks JKU - Red Sweep

@Ranjan Pattanaik @Rizwan Waheed @Daniel Fernandez @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Roger K @Rawad Bahsas @Tbone @Chinthaka Ruwan @Pierre de Maigret @TT_Dubai @Yawa @Richard Franks

Please find your names and convoy numbering above. When you arrive tomorrow morning, you can start deflating your tires to 15psi if you have normal/highway tires, and 12psi in case you have off-road tires.

Please arrive on time 6:00 AM, earlier is even better so we can help you out with deflation if needed.

We will be using Carnity Channel 2: 446.03125 Mhz.

Seniors on the drive are myself @Ranjan Pattanaik in second lead, @Tbone as center forward and @Richard Franks who will be sweeping the convoy and we will all help you out in case of refusals, stucks, which is all part of the game (and fun) :)

After deflating we will do a briefing to emphasize on the aspects of off-roading and the teamwork involved when becoming part of our off-road community. Since the number of cases has gone alarmingly high and as per the new restrictions we will revert back to briefing from our vehicles over the radio..

In case of emergencies, you can contact me on 050 674 9099

See you tomorrow !

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

What a day, had fog, early refusal, technical problem, last but not the least the hot sun, with@Rahimdad and the entire convoys determination we made it a great day. Great team effort. Enjoyed it throughly!!!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Have to agree with @Chinthaka Ruwan and @Lakshmi Narasimhan regarding today's drive.  Started out a little rough, but our great team members chose to make it an awesome day!.  Many thanks to @Rahimdad, @Ranjan Pattanaik(second lead and chief leak stopper),     and @Tbonefor guiding us up fossil rock and down the other side.  Hoping that @Rahimdad  and @TT_Dubaidon't have too expensive repairs on their rides.  Can't say enough positive things about everyone in the convoy today!  Such fantastic personalities and willingness to help when the chips were down.   So great to see everyone caring about their fellow drivers!  I know I left a few LR3 Discovery parts in the desert today...oh well, SO WORTH IT!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

DJI_0652.JPG.29ae11e0f79755368a52822eda020288.JPGThank you @Rahimdad for a great morning drive! Really pleased to hear your Pathfinder made it back home and hope it is an easy fix on the power steering. It was nice to tick off Fossil Rock and Faya off the list once we got going again. It is one big playground!

The whole morning was smooth for me and while the clutch issue ultimately stopped play, I feel lucky it happened towards the end of extra time. 😀 I have been having issues with my clutch for a while.  The workshop previously checked it when it was in for a full service as I mentioned it was clicking thought out the travel range and said it had another 20k of life left so not recommended to change now. It looks like I have no choice now! Thank you so much to you for checking on the car and @Tbonethe tow out to the road. I was surprised that the road was so close to where we decended Faya.

Thank you also to @Roger K and @Yawafor coming back to check in while waiting for the recovery truck. Very pleased to report the flatbed truck arrived in a prompt 35 minutes (was dispatched from Sharjah Industrial area) and could locate me easily as adjacent to the quad bike rental shop. Very nice guy called Ali loaded it up in a few minutes and we had a very smooth journey to the Al Quoz workshop chatting all the way on his war stories during his previous decade in Dubai as a Dubai taxi driver! 

The workshop was closed for Friday so I was planning to come back on Saturday morning to hand over the keys. As we were unloading the Jeep, the workshop manager and his wife coincidentally was coming back from their own desert academy drive and quickly checked the car and took the keys in with the promise of a report today. 

So let's see!

I have some pictures which I will upload to the gallery once the Folder for yesterday's drive is created.

It was lovely to see everyone again and to meet new enthusiasts. 😊

Edited by TT_Dubai
Add pic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Few of us got opportunity to see @Rahimdadpushing @Ranjan Pattanaik car out of the sand, sand erupted and pushed our superman 2 feet behind, is that not enough for him to rise again strong and push the car out and pose the muscle power of super man!!!! Unfortunately no videos or pics taken!!!!

7 hours ago, TT_Dubai said:

DJI_0652.JPG.29ae11e0f79755368a52822eda020288.JPGThank you @Rahimdad for a great morning drive! Really pleased to hear your Pathfinder made it back home and hope it is an easy fix on the power steering. It was nice to tick off Fossil Rock and Faya off the list once we got going again. It is one big playground!

The whole morning was smooth for me and while the clutch issue ultimately stopped play, I feel lucky it happened towards the end of extra time. 😀 I have been having issues with my clutch for a while.  The workshop previously checked it when it was in for a full service as I mentioned it was clicking thought out the travel range and said it had another 20k of life left so not recommended to change now. It looks like I have no choice now! Thank you so much to you for checking on the car and @Tbonethe tow out to the road. I was surprised that the road was so close to where we decended Faya.

Thank you also to @Roger K and @Yawafor coming back to check in while waiting for the recovery truck. Very pleased to report the flatbed truck arrived in a prompt 35 minutes (was dispatched from Sharjah Industrial area) and could locate me easily as adjacent to the quad bike rental shop. Very nice guy called Ali loaded it up in a few minutes and we had a very smooth journey to the Al Quoz workshop chatting all the way on his war stories during his previous decade in Dubai as a Dubai taxi driver! 

The workshop was closed for Friday so I was planning to come back on Saturday morning to hand over the keys. As we were unloading the Jeep, the workshop manager and his wife coincidentally was coming back from their own desert academy drive and quickly checked the car and took the keys in with the promise of a report today. 

So let's see!

I have some pictures which I will upload to the gallery once the Folder for yesterday's drive is created.

It was lovely to see everyone again and to meet new enthusiasts. 😊

Hope your car is fixed and see you soon in the sands

• Haha (+1) 4

On 4/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, Lakshmi Narasimhan said:

Few of us got opportunity to see @Rahimdadpushing @Ranjan Pattanaik car out of the sand, sand erupted and pushed our superman 2 feet behind, is that not enough for him to rise again strong and push the car out and pose the muscle power of super man!!!! Unfortunately no videos or pics taken!!!!

Hope your car is fixed and see you soon in the sands

@Lakshmi Narasimhan I managed to crop that moment out of my front camera recordings yet its a bit blurry because i was a bit far

@Rahimdad was showered at first, then he singlehandedly pushed @Ranjan Pattanaikout of his stuck

So lucky to be driving with superman

• Haha (+1) 6
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1