•  
Advertise here

Offroad light recommendations

I'm old school, poor and love to experiment. LED's are not my cup of tea. I like the old halogens. Round headlights with a high wattage halogen bulb. I have bought 4 of these 9 inch headlights with 100/90 watt halogen bulbs. If the experiment works out well viola I would have created a solution for the lights during night drives. If not Kalliwalli as these lights doesn't cost a fortune (everyone will be shocked to know the price). I hope these lights will pierce the darkness upto 750 meters and if so I will start sourcing them and selling them 🤣. Hopefully my alternator can take that much amperage. If not change the alternator to a high amp one which is available upto 250 amps for the XTERRA. I have seen these lights in action in my younger days and have used it in my bikes and car and they were like a sun in the darkness. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

I'm old school, poor and love to experiment. LED's are not my cup of tea. I like the old halogens. Round headlights with a high wattage halogen bulb. I have bought 4 of these 9 inch headlights with 100/90 watt halogen bulbs. If the experiment works out well viola I would have created a solution for the lights during night drives. If not Kalliwalli as these lights doesn't cost a fortune (everyone will be shocked to know the price). I hope these lights will pierce the darkness upto 750 meters and if so I will start sourcing them and selling them 🤣. Hopefully my alternator can take that much amperage. If not change the alternator to a high amp one which is available upto 250 amps for the XTERRA. I have seen these lights in action in my younger days and have used it in my bikes and car and they were like a sun in the darkness. 

Even if they don't work as I expect in the darkness, attaching of 4 big round lights to the front or roof of the car will give it a very menacing look. The round lights just cost me 20 AED per piece and probably another 20 AED per bulb as my son didn't get time to purchase them yet. So for 160 AED the car will look like a monster with the lights attached. 

• Like (+1) 3

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

1187399244_WhatsAppImage2021-05-16at10_26_17PM.jpeg.3b951586eed36a4e12b4eeced421dea4.jpeg346147108_WhatsAppImage2021-05-16at10_26_44PM.jpeg.a5ac4bb88610f50a003b99cad54bbc3d.jpeg

With my cost effective solution for night drives. These are 4 halogen headlamps borrowed from a vintage motorbike model supported by high wattage halogen bulbs . They have the low & high beam with total power at 660 Watts at high beam and 320 watts at low beam consuming 55 Amps at high beam & 27 Amps at low beam with all 4 lights switched on during demanding times. I have aimed the low beam straight ahead and the high beam should show more dune when the car climbs as its aimed up. If it doesn't help I can push the headlights down and make it normal. Hope the alternator can cope up with this much demand. Can switch the lights on and off as pairs. Anxious to test the contraption on the next night drive in the desert. The center pair are convex glass with a parabolic reflector which acts as a long range spot light and the side ones are flat glass with parabolic reflector which I think will work as a side shooter. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

On 5/17/2021 at 12:02 AM, Thomas Varghese said:

With my cost effective solution for night drives. These are 4 halogen headlamps borrowed from a vintage motorbike model supported by high wattage halogen bulbs . They have the low & high beam with total power at 660 Watts at high beam and 320 watts at low beam consuming 55 Amps at high beam & 27 Amps at low beam with all 4 lights switched on during demanding times. I have aimed the low beam straight ahead and the high beam should show more dune when the car climbs as its aimed up. If it doesn't help I can push the headlights down and make it normal. Hope the alternator can cope up with this much demand. Can switch the lights on and off as pairs. Anxious to test the contraption on the next night drive in the desert. The center pair are convex glass with a parabolic reflector which acts as a long range spot light and the side ones are flat glass with parabolic reflector which I think will work as a side shooter. 

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-18 at 10.43.07 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-18 at 10.42.28 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-18 at 10.41.52 AM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought a 20inch LED light bar tonight and will have it installed tomorrow.

Just wondering where should I install it?

I have seen ppl put the light bar on the lower bumper and ppl put the light bar on the roof.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer it on the bumper only because installing on bumper is easier and I wouldnt mind having holes on the bumper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1