•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Tawi Nazwa to Big Red via Pink Rock - Sharjah - 16 Apr 2021

Drive Brief
This drive is a classic, but because it is a classic, it never ends being fascinating. From Tawi Nazwa, heading North East, we will drive towards the rising sun, moving gently from small and easy dunes to larger and more challenging ones as we approach Pink Rock. We will then climb the rock itself to appreciate the true meaning of its name, while enjoying the spectacular view from the top. Moving south, we will increase our pace going through an exciting series of convoluted, diversified and fun dunes that will take us in the majestic Big Red, after which we will make our exit on E44 Dubai - Hatta Road.

233961020_PinkRock.png.a1035cda64b224254fee843d327a560f.png

General Infos

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions 2.0

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: Ban Post

TWO WAY RADIO GUIDELINES

• Every Off-roader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

SUGGESTED READING: Carnity Two Way Radio Frequencies

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

Drive Details

Level:  Fewbie and Above (All Levels)

When:  16 Apr 2021, Friday.

Meeting time: 6:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Tawi Nazwa - https://goo.gl/maps/PnUGGLyxkKXzz3NEA

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and your own compressor for tire inflation.

Approximate finish time: 10:00 AM

End Point: E44 Dubai - Hatta Road (Al Badayer area)

Limited Spots Available:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Sunday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT 

• Like (+1) 1

• Gaurav changed the title to COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Tawi Nazwa to Big Red via Pink Rock - Sharjah - 16 Apr 2021

Hello Guys, I hope you are all well. I was just wondering whether this will be a 3 or 4 hr drive because in the details it says 7-10. But in the heading it says 7-11.

Best,

Batuhan

Dear @Batuhan Kulac, the drive will start at 6am with the aim to finish by 10am, so it will be a 4 hours one, as specified both in the drive details and in the calendar. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Dear @Fabien Monleau,

unfortunately this is a Fewbie Drive and, as per Carnity rules, your current rank does not allow you to join it. Please understand this is mostly for your own safety and for that of the other convoy members. I'm sure there will be other occasions for you and I look forward to have you in one of my next Fewbie drives as soon as you will have reached the rank.

Dear Desert Wanderers,

this RSVP is now closed.

Please find below the convoy order:

image.png.c3f0c2d7b4e95532ab90a1be51224d93.png

@marks, @Thomas Fumarola, @Werno, @imranaasghar81, @Pacific, @Batuhan Kulac, @Hennie Schoeman, @jodha singh shekhawatthis drive is going to be a nice and entertaining Fewbie Drive: we will have the chance to enjoy the sunrise heading towards Pink Rock, experience the thrill of climbing the rock itself and then progressively increasing both pace and complexity of the drive as we will head towards Al Badayer. It will require your full and undivided concentration at every step, so make sure you come well rested and hydrated and that you don’t have any reason for being distracted. Also, please consider carefully if you wish to bring passengers along with you.

We will be using Carnity Channel 2 (446.03125MHz).

See tomorrow morning, ready to go (i.e. already deflated and flagged) by no later 6:00am (sharp). 

• Like (+1) 1

Hello again. I has been a while since I brought passengers. So that I don't break any UAE or Carnity rules how many passengers am I allowed to take?

Thanks

Nevermind. I found out myself it is 3 total. correct me if im wrong though :)

Edited by Batuhan Kulac
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear Desert Wanderers,

this RSVP is now closed.

Please find below the convoy order:

image.png.c3f0c2d7b4e95532ab90a1be51224d93.png

@marks, @Thomas Fumarola, @Werno, @imranaasghar81, @Pacific, @Batuhan Kulac, @Hennie Schoeman, @jodha singh shekhawatthis drive is going to be a nice and entertaining Fewbie Drive: we will have the chance to enjoy the sunrise heading towards Pink Rock, experience the thrill of climbing the rock itself and then progressively increasing both pace and complexity of the drive as we will head towards Al Badayer. It will require your full and undivided concentration at every step, so make sure you come well rested and hydrated and that you don’t have any reason for being distracted. Also, please consider carefully if you wish to bring passengers along with you.

We will be using Carnity Channel 2 (446.03125MHz).

See tomorrow morning, ready to go (i.e. already deflated and flagged) by no later 6:00am (sharp). 

@Lorenzo Candelpergher sorry i wouldn't be joining tomorrow.  Joined for night drive today. Hope to see you some other day. Guys have fun and be safe. 

• Sad (0) 1

DRIVE REPORT

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

Although well known to most, the drive to Pink rock to Big Red is always one that I love and yesterday's one made no exception. 

We started with 20 mins of delay, mostly because of some confusion on the meeting point, as everyone except myself and Marks stopped at an earlier point, which they had used in previous occasions. 

We then hit the sand, heading north-east with the sun rising from our right side. I personally love driving towards the sun in the morning: it's like being energized for the day. 

The first 30 mins were about knowing the convoy and testing their capabilities. We drove smoothly across some mid sized dunes, with a few steep descents, some side slopes, some ridge riding and some occasional criss crossing. 

Everyone did well, which allowed me to let @marks take his partial lead stint, with the aim of taking us to Pink Rock and start heading towards Big Red. 

@marks led us with good pace and nice lines to the bottom of Pink Rock, from where we climbed to the top to enjoy the beautiful view. 

As @Werno's passenger rightly said, you onky realise the reason for the name, Pink Rock, when you make it to the top and actually see the rock is.. pink! 

As @marks moved ahead, we started heading south towards Big Red. This portion of desert between Pink Rock and Big Red is one of my favourites, as it offers nice, long and flat ridges to ride on but also a lot of steep slop faces which allow to increase the level of the drive as desired.

We indulged for quite some time in this area, where, unavoidably, we experienced a bit more challengesa and refusals/stucks, among which I can recall a couple of crested cars, @Hennie Schoeman's and @Batuhan Kulac's if I am not mistaken. 

After approx 1h20' I took over the lead again. As the convoy was doing too well, I decided to bump the level up a bit, both in pace and in technical difficulty. This led to a few more refusals and repeated attempts in a few complex passages, but in general the convoy responded very well. 

I have no hesitation to say that the last hour was a full Fewbie Plus drive. We quickly headed south to reach "The other big dune next to Big Red", where the whole convoy made it to the top at the 1st attempt. 

@imranaasghar81, in his role as Center Forward, was very worried about his pace and kept on asking if the G63 behind him was fine with it. A great deal of attention and care, however the guys behind did all very well. 

We then approached the final climb to Big Red. This was a tricky and difficult ascent, with very churned up sand and a lot of tracks added on top of the intrinsic complexity of the dune, which we approached from the northwest side. 

The fist attempt didn't go very well and we had to spend a little time winching @Hennie Schoemanout of a cresting just in front of a nasty little pocket first and then to help out @jodha singh shekhawatand @Batuhan Kulac out of a deep bowl. Both did extremely well and got out of the bowl in no time. After a brief rerouting, we reconnected with the rest of the convoy and restarted our ascent to the very top. 

We couldn't possibly let this moment go down in memories without a photo, so here it isb a proud Febwie convoy at the very top of Big Red: a fantastic achievement. 

IMG-20210417-WA0001.jpg.c7bd7abd81e18a544aee7cecc7f4d8cb.jpg

After this last shot of adrenaline, we quickly headed out on E44 Hatta Road by 10am, as planned, to relax and reinflate. 

We covered 59.8km in 3h43', of which 3h 03' in movement and just 40' stopped, with an average moving speed of 19km/h, with a total ascent / descent of +/- 440m. Excellent stats for a Fewbie Drive: kudos to the whole convoy! 

Last but not least: congrats to @marks@marks. You led with confidence and with very good pace and lines. You are definitely ready to lead independently, I look forward to supporting you drives. 

• Like (+1) 4

Important Information

Terms of use