•  

Wheel rim size Mitsubishi Pajero

Wrangeld

Any views on the relative merits or otherwise of smaller wheel rims on the Pajero. I'm currently running 17", but see other cars with 16". 

It's visually less appealing to me, but if there is a real advantage to smaller rims (possibly = more tyre surface on the sand as tyre wall will be higher) I will consider swapping out my current rims. 

• Like (+1) 5

@Wrangeld since you are having the 3.8 version the smallest rims that would fit the front wheels without touching the brake calipers is 17 inch. So you would not be able to go further down on the rim size without doing some modifications. By the way, I thought you were running on 18 inch rims.

Smaller rims, allows the tyres to have more flex when aired down which helps in a longer foot print. The maximum variations of tyres sizes and brands are at 16 inch and thats why many cars running 16 inch rims.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Yes smaller rims means you have to compensate with a higher profile tyre 

For ex if you are 265 by 60 by 17 inch and you downsize to 16 inch rims you will be opting for a 65 profile tyre.

This increase in profile increases your foot print on deflation ( even though marginal) but it improves overall flotation with deflated tires on sand  and effectively less chance of pop out ( one of the causes other than the style of driving )

But smaller  rims size affect or cause rubbing with brake pads when downsized which needs to be checked 

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

17 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Yes smaller rims means you have to compensate with a higher profile tyre 

For ex if you are 265 by 60 by 17 inch and you downsize to 16 inch rims you will be opting for a 70 profile tyre.

This increase in profile increases your foot print on deflation ( even though marginal) but it improves overall flotation with deflated tires on sand .

But rims size affect rubbing with brake pads when downsized which needs to be checked 

@Wrangeld, I recently downsized from 18” to 17” wheels(checked for 16” which needed more mods and money as @Srikumar said),definitely improved a lot on sands without any problem(as @Chaitanya D says helps in flotation)to start with, after few drives started rubbing the fenders, now am about to cut my bumpers!!!!

Edited by Lakshmi Narasimhan
Update
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

@Wrangeld since you are having the 3.8 version the smallest rims that would fit the front wheels without touching the brake calipers is 17 inch. So you would not be able to go further down on the rim size without doing some modifications. By the way, I thought you were running on 18 inch rims.

Smaller rims, allows the tyres to have more flex when aired down which helps in a longer foot print. The maximum variations of tyres sizes and brands are at 16 inch and thats why many cars running 16 inch rims.

you're right. 18, not 17.

19 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

you're right. 18, not 17.

So - look for a change from 18 to 17 is the solution, and if that comes with some decent tires at the same time, that will be great ... thanks all for the responses, just wanted to check this idea out. 

• Like (+1) 2

I had a lot pop off issue with rims with size 18 inches even with new tires 

I changed to 17inch and the pop off issue reduced dramatically.

I also changed the tires to A/T and I think will be OK with original 17inch rims.

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to revisit this discussion - i currently have 265/70/16 (highway tyres) on my pajero and want to upgrade to geolander AT tyres

with R16 - i have 2 choices as per yokohama dealership

1)  265/70/16 - AT (my current tyre size)

2) 275/70/16 - AT

Just wanted to get ur views on which one to choose and which one would help in the sand, pop outs etc. 

275 would give it more width but not sure how that would help in the sands

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Adhir Saxena said:

Just wanted to revisit this discussion - i currently have 265/70/16 (highway tyres) on my pajero and want to upgrade to geolander AT tyres

with R16 - i have 2 choices as per yokohama dealership

1)  265/70/16 - AT (my current tyre size)

2) 275/70/16 - AT

Just wanted to get ur views on which one to choose and which one would help in the sand, pop outs etc. 

275 would give it more width but not sure how that would help in the sands

275 would also make it more heavy and prone to rubbing the fender, so i would advise to go for the 265/70/16 AT. Wider tyres are not necessarily better in offroading.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

275 would also make it more heavy and prone to rubbing the fender, so i would advise to go for the 265/70/16 AT. Wider tyres are not necessarily better in offroading.

265 vs 275 is wider so i guess the inner bead width of the tyre also wider hence dont you think it will have more outward pressure to the rims when deflated. so less chance of popout. 

Even if it pop out for some reason, it will be much easier to fix as tyre itself will fix to the rim without much effort.  

I have seen and experienced difficult pop out fixing due to smaller tire size or bigger rim size. 

But rubbing issue due to bigger tire needs to be verified. 

BTW when i change my xterra tyres i went from 265 (stock size) to 275 no problem what so ever. zero pop out till date for almost 1 year.  

Edited by Rizwanm2
  • Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use