•  
Advertise here

My Land Cruiser 100 project

2 minutes ago, Wade Pat2 said:

Back in Dubai! Doing parking garage installations before I move to my new parking spot. New spot will have no secret basement mechanic work allowed. Haha Lights mounted , need wiring finished. Covers fit well and should help with inspection and protection.

Maintenance items (oil, air filter, front diff oil and bushing change, new prop shafts, and a couple seals for leaks and I should be ready for the desert by the time jetlag wears off in a week.

20210812_094651.jpg

20210812_094432.jpg

20210812_094352.jpg

Welcome back to Dubai ! The weather is slowly getting cooler, so hope to see you soon in the sands !

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On 4/20/2021 at 9:00 AM, Wade Pat2 said:

Swapped weak 2 pinion front diff carrier with TJM carrier.

Welcome back bro @Wade Pat2, my 2002 comes with the "stronger" 4-pinion front diff and last week it broke down 😂 But I guess it was just wear & tear... anyways the more reason to put in new 4.88 NitroGears (expecting end of Aug to arrive) ☺️

• Like (+1) 2

Welcome back buddy, looking nice with off-road lights.

Just make sure they are installed nicely and secured too, as recently I heard a new story that one of the expensive LED bar was stolen from the car. It's very rare to hear such story in Dubai where security is top-notch but it happened.

Another guy reported of stolen hitch receiver with shackle from his Ford D150. I was like that's way too much for such small value item to be missing overnight.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2021 at 7:00 AM, Srikumar said:

If you have both the front and rear lockers, try them separately and let us know which one is more effective. Ofcourse it depends on the circumstances, but since the front wheel has steering input as well I have a hunch that the front locker would be more effective than a rear locker during self recovery. But I could be wrong.

Hi Sri, sorry for the delayed reply. Few observations on lockers in sand compared to mud and rock crawling which I have done alot of. If I could only chose one it would be rear for sure. Front does have steering input but it's almost impossible to steer with a front locker engaged once throttle is applied. This removes most of the side to side steering technique when throttle  since the locker wants the steering to return to center as both tires pull. In mud you go straight so lockers are great. In rocks you go slowwww and are only in low range so again both lockers are great.

I think front holds value in some situations but wouldn't install front for sand. I installed mine for two reasons. First the front diff on 99 LC 100 is very weak 2 pinion instead of typical 4. This locker drastically strengthens the front diff internals. Second , I will export it home one day and install charge in Dubai is less than half the cost at a US shop for same locker.

Hopefully I get a chance to test it in more stuck situations and can report back more. So far outside of slight crest each time I have been stuck the heavy LC was "stuck" and locker didnt help much expect to sink like a rock. :)

As my knowledge grows I hope to utilize them more so refusals don't become stucks.

For the next addition on my project LC I may have gone off the rails. For someone who likes wrenching and rebuilding more than driving it might make since but this mod really isn't necessary or for offroad as much as "I always wanted one". For driving I will likely not even go past Fewbie or do much hill climbs but I will surely have an engine that makes cool sounds. 🤣

If anyone finds me face down in the desert just know it was my wife and I deserved it. 

Stay tuned for updates , long wait until I get back to US, then first obstacle is how I get it on the plane with me back to Dubai!

It's Toyota so I will still consider it "stock" ;)

#fully rebuilt, trd, ported, polished, heat coated, mapped unichip, etc...

Screenshot_20211010-103722_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-200719_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Wade Pat2
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Wade Pat2 said:

For the next addition on my project LC I may have gone off the rails. For someone who likes wrenching and rebuilding more than driving it might make since but this mod really isn't necessary or for offroad as much as "I always wanted one". For driving I will likely not even go past Fewbie or do much hill climbs but I will surely have an engine that makes cool sounds. 🤣

If anyone finds me face down in the desert just know it was my wife and I deserved it. 

#fully rebuilt, trd, ported, polished, heat coated, mapped unichip, etc...

That was pretty vague @Wade Pat2, but did you buy Marco LX470's SuperCharger??? 🤑  Our LandCruiser is heavy, so SuperCharger will be useful for climbing Iftar Bowl in Sharjah or Nagrah Sweihan in Abu Dhabi... or even participate in LIWA Festival to try out the Mureeb Dune 🔥

• Like (+1) 1

@Zed hey Zed. Yea I made a deal with Marco through Facebook, been watching it for months. Few things aligned and I made him an offer. Guess he was tired of sitting on it. Spoke to the guy who built the kit and I think I got a decent deal in today's market.

I think the one you qouted above is on Ebay for 12k right now. Crazy!

I doubt I will be climbing anything bigger than Fewbie sized dunes honestly. Will be awhile before it gets here. Should be early Jan when I fly back to Dubai from leave.  First level map is at stock TRD supercharger numbers and I plan to stay there.

Like I said, not really needed for me so I plan to enjoy the project coming together along with the cool sound :) . Will share plenty pics once it's here. I may install myself but not sure yet.

• Well Done (+2) 2

36 minutes ago, Wade Pat2 said:

Like I said, not really needed for me so I plan to enjoy the project coming together along with the cool sound :) .

@Wade Pat2 the Ratatatata sound will only come on full throttle.  Doubt you’ll do it on asphalt highway as it may attract the police or CID 😁, but here’s one way 👇🏻 to make that sound once supercharger is installed 

• Haha (+1) 2

I love your patience and sensible approach in analyzing things into right perspective and set your limits and goals.

Congrats for SC and its wise to stick to Stage 1 to maximize engine usable life of 99 model, unless you rebuilt whole engine and upgraded internals too.

Btw, ref to self recovering issue per last drive, I noticed you made a choice of Michelin which is good tire for road and sand as they are super light but they aren't good for self-recovery. If you really wish to have good self recovery capabilities then AT tires goes much before the diff-lock choice.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

I love your patience and sensible approach in analyzing things into right perspective and set your limits and goals.

Congrats for SC and its wise to stick to Stage 1 to maximize engine usable life of 99 model, unless you rebuilt whole engine and upgraded internals too.

Btw, ref to self recovering issue per last drive, I noticed you made a choice of Michelin which is good tire for road and sand as they are super light but they aren't good for self-recovery. If you really wish to have good self recovery capabilities then AT tires goes much before the diff-lock choice.

Thanks for the feedback Gaurav. I chose the new Michelin ltx force which seemed slightly less aggressive/AT as the Geolanders. I'm not sure what Michelin may have changed but to be honest they feel a little heavy and have a little more sound on the road then I expected. If I had to do it again I would go with Geolanders but I'm sure these will last awhile. 

My LC has stock rear diff lock and front locker is TJM air locker. Installed a year or so ago to replace weak front diff.

Definitely wanting to have Toyota supercharger set at stock tuning for reliability. 

Screenshot_20210520-150249_Photos.jpg

• Like (+1) 1