•  
Advertise here

My Land Cruiser 100 project

45 minutes ago, Wadepat2 said:

The stock very soft shocks allowed suspension to bottom out a few times even while moving at a slow pace on last ride. Rear bumper took a little damage but quickly fixed with a few hidden tie straps. :) Steering was also affected from front end lift on acceleration and nose diving on deceleration and tight turns for the long heavy LC. 

These are the EXACT thing that we keep telling people to change or add mod ONLY when you identify such bottleneck.

This way you differentiate the change to value it accordingly.

Brilliant approach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

These are the EXACT thing that we keep telling people to change or add mod ONLY when you identify such bottleneck.

This way you differentiate the change to value it accordingly.

Brilliant approach.

Haha. To be fair,  my current mentality of trying to really learn and listen was hard earned from many years of off-roading while not listening and learning the more difficult and more costly way. It's always a fight to go slow when we enjoy something I guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

22 hours ago, Wadepat2 said:

Second drive and I happy to be on this humbling sand learning journey. I watch in amazement how easy many of you make it look in all variety of cars. 

Next upgrade will be shocks. Rear are 22 years old so it is time anyways. The stock very soft shocks allowed suspension to bottom out a few times even while moving at a slow pace on last ride. Rear bumper took a little damage but quickly fixed with a few hidden tie straps. :) Steering was also affected from front end lift on acceleration and nose diving on deceleration and tight turns for the long heavy LC. 

Going with 4 foam cell 41mm Toughdog shocks from Aus.

Will get pictures tomorrow after install. 

@Luca Palanca Falsini pls see above.  @Wadepat2 is taking the plunge for the foam cell technology shocks, using another Australian brand.  Just connecting you both as we had a separate ‘Offroad suspension’ thread going on and Luca was keen on feedback relating to this type of shock (albeit a different brand - Ironman I think). 

hth and do share experiences on the other thread also. 

waiting 20+years to change the shocks is taking ‘ride it stock’ to the limit :) ... good luck both and keen to learn from your experiences 

• Like (+1) 1

Haha to be clear. I didn't drive it 20 years on stock shocks in desert. I have only been on two drives. Shocks are original and 22 years old though. Swapped them today and the slightly firmer ride with less bounce does make car feel much more connected to the road. . I will report back on any off-road differences after Friday.

20210426_115029.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

The foam cell shocks are only slightly firmer on road. Cornering is more solid and braking is much better.

Offroad drive was great. No more bottoming out on small steps and no more nose diving in quick corner. It's a little more work to get the big land cruiser u-turned compared to all the the swb and Jeeps but the tighter suspension helped a lot.

Decided to remove my air compressor from its case and mount it in the rear after it falling over in the sand a few times. Basement parking is dark and hot but it's bolted down and wired in. 

20210502_162413.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cosmetic mod is still a modification right? :)

Had to get rid of the Prado Tire cover. (Shop bought a Prado one and put it on after the original flew off??) Not happy they lost an almost impossible to replace OEM cover but this OEM soft cover one is kind of cool. I didnt like the look with soft cover only so added the chrome back on it. haha I will likely remove this one and just run the Tire and wheel without cover.

Will try to get pics of new tires later today for anyone following along with my build. Not much left to do replace on it now.

For tomorrows drive, greased prop shafts, checked fluids, knocked some dust off air cleaner, cleaned AC evap the best I could in parking garage, adjusted hood latch and re-aimed new headlights. 

20210519_093657.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

Few pics of new tires. Not easy to find , slightly more expensive then Geolandars. Quite ride, absorb bumps better than my other tires. They seem heavier then my highway Nexens but guess that's to be expected.

275/70r16 Michelin Force. Fingers crossed I don't need to swap them on Dubizzle for Geo's haha

20210520_130755.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-150249_Photos.jpg

20210520_130716.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed my first night drive and was lucky to be following Hisham with his amazing lights and more experienced driving. I could  see my old technology halogen lights wouldn't work well for night drives.

After having just a small time in the dark on our last afternoon drive, my wife said no way she is going on night drives with our stock headlights. That's all I needed to hear before heading off to off-road parts shop. 😁

Hoping these lights help give me a little more space for momentum and provide a little more confidence to the wife when she decides to come along. 😁

Screenshot_20210531-104417_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-104400_Facebook.jpgpan widget

Edited by Wade Pat2
Edit
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:00 AM, Wade Pat2 said:

If you read this far you may think I am crazy to spens this money on such an old car.

Ain't crazy bro, try buying the cheapest LC200 you can find versus cheapest LC100 + mods, a very different & satisfying feeling to get LC100 on the cheap and able to customize it to your liking 😄

• Totally Agree (+2) 1