•  
Advertise here

My Land Cruiser 100 project

Gaurav
This post was recognized by Gaurav!

Wade Pat2 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Thought I would start post to track my LC Project. I have only made one drive in the desert but have done a lot of work on my old LC. The plan is to continue replacing and upgrading things until I bring it home in 3-4 years to the US (after its 25years old). I can list all of the other work if anyone is interested.

Latest modification after my first drive and having the additional bumper addition scraping sand a few times on descent.

Swapped out to a simple stock style bumper cover. Should give little more bumper clearance and about 10kg less weight hanging off the front. :)

before and after pics

20210409_092742~2.jpg

20210419_114010~2.jpg

Edited by Wadepat2
Add info
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 4

• Wade Pat2 changed the title to My Land Cruiser 100 project

Full list of my project so far.

No mods for desert off-road driving really. and not sure if I will go that direction. I am hoping to fight the urge to modify for desert driving and enjoy it in stock form. I have had many modified vehicle for other off-road types in the past and the ability to learn driving skills on sand with stock vehicle sounds great to me. 

My LC is a 1999 with 200km V8 auto 

Maintenance- Fluid / filter for Engine,trans, and diffs. Grease prop shafts. Air filter change. Added cabin filter. PCV valve.

Replaced -. Steering rack with tie rods and fluid Res, front upper/lower control arms, rear upper and lower control arms, front and rear stabilizer bar bushings. Brake Master cylinder and flush. All coil packs and spark plugs, headlights, corner lights and fog lights.

Reboot and regrease CV shafts, replaced front wheel bearings and seals, front diff bearings and seals. Swapped weak 2 pinion front diff carrier with TJM carrier.

Added metal lower sump and trans cover to replace broken fiber stock cover.

Interior- not much done,  front windshield 3m clear tint , ram ball mount integrated into dash, and remove 3rd row seats, rubber floor mats.

Gear. Arb single compressor, 4 way tire inflator, tire deflator, real shovel, radio, flag, small fire extinguisher, first aid kit and I always carry basic hand tools. 

**Next- Trying to figure out better front recovery point that fully clears bumper and only thing not working at the moment ( stock console cooler) haha

If you read this far you may think I am crazy to spens this money on such an old car. I might be but I work from home so daily car isn't a must. Also after looking at new cost, I much prefer to much much less and I really enjoy my old car project. Have always wanted an old Land Cruiser. 

Only problem is I can't easily do the work myself as I would in my home country. Instead I bother the poor mechanics at shop I use to let me give detailed instructions on work I want done. I also prefer to buy all the parts myself and bring to shop.

Welcome to my Land Cruiser Project. Thanks for allowing me to share. Feel free to ask any question, offer ideas or even constructive criticism.  I have pictures of some of the work also if anyone wants to see anything specific.

20210419_114002.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 4

51 minutes ago, Wadepat2 said:

No mods for desert off-road driving really. and not sure if I will go that direction. I am hoping to fight the urge to modify for desert driving and enjoy it in stock form. I have had many modified vehicle for other off-road types in the past and the ability to learn driving skills on sand with stock vehicle sounds great to me. 

You will be the real winner my friend, to learn off-road skills on stock LC100.

1. First it will make you a better off-roader.
  2. You will be rich with spare money.
  3. Surely drive every week.
  4. Surely drive back in the same car.
  5. Drive with complete peace of mind.
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Nice project @Wadepat2 !

There is a satisfying feeling to bringing a car back to its former glory. In your case a Landcruiser has shown its capabilities already far and beyond and its status in this country means you will always find people willing to service it, supply parts, or help you look for the right solution. 

With regards to desert driving, the Landcruiser is a very capable 4x4, but i see it more as a vehicle to perform overlanding and cross the deserts, more than a kind of dunebashing vehicle.

Good luck and share your progress !

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

5 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

You will be the real winner my friend, to learn off-road skills on stock LC100.

1. First it will make you a better off-roader.
  2. You will be rich with spare money.
  3. Surely drive every week.
  4. Surely drive back in the same car.
  5. Drive with complete peace of mind.

This is exactly what I am hoping for. Thanks for the confirmation.

Focus on learning and  "project work" geared towards reliability and stock restoration.

• Like (+1) 2

@Wadepat2 It was a pleasure to be out with you a few weeks ago - but I did not realize then the project was under way. Like my Marshal colleagues all already said, we are big believers in learn to drive with the car stock. It will make you a better driver. There's absolutely no doubt about that. 

It looks like you are really focused on the hidden areas where most people don't focus, which I always like. I am true believer that what lies beneath is massively more important than what you see - so changing out fluids for more expensive/effective options, replacing the little bearings and mountings that noone sees are much more important most of the time than shiny new stuff. I love the new bumper, having said that, but also because it's designed to improve the off road drive by improving clearance [part of the make you a better driver objective]. 

Hopefully we can have more drives in the future and we can all watch what transpires and transforms in your car.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@Wadepat2 I came across this workshop space rental service and thought of you knowing your preference to work on your own car but resident in an apartment (like myself) 

https://www.ufixit.ae/we-have-what-you-need/

I would def use this but only learnt how to attach the compressor to a car battery since joining here :) ... mine is a dream vs your actual hobby/ability! 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

@Wadepat2 I came across this workshop space rental service and thought of you knowing your preference to work on your own car but resident in an apartment (like myself) 

https://www.ufixit.ae/we-have-what-you-need/

I would def use this but only learnt how to attach the compressor to a car battery since joining here :) ... mine is a dream vs your actual hobby/ability! 

Thanks for thinking of my request Niki. I have looked into this shop once before but have never tried it. Hoping my Cruiser stays together for awhile, at least long enough for my wife to forget how many "not broken" things I have already replaced. hahaha

• Haha (+1) 1

Second drive and I happy to be on this humbling sand learning journey. I watch in amazement how easy many of you make it look in all variety of cars. 

Next upgrade will be shocks. Rear are 22 years old so it is time anyways. The stock very soft shocks allowed suspension to bottom out a few times even while moving at a slow pace on last ride. Rear bumper took a little damage but quickly fixed with a few hidden tie straps. :) Steering was also affected from front end lift on acceleration and nose diving on deceleration and tight turns for the long heavy LC. 

Going with 4 foam cell 41mm Toughdog shocks from Aus.

Will get pictures tomorrow after install. 

Edited by Wadepat2
add
  • Like (+1) 2