•  

Lens Lovers Club - Evening Star Photography Session - 11 May 2021

Frederic

15 hours ago, Niki said:

All of my Nikon shots facing the well were sadly out of focus ... lessons learnt ready for the next trip

Here you have very close subject on the foreground and beautiful stars on the background. It's impossible to have both in focus, of course.

We can take two shots: focus on the stars and focus on the car. Then we can merge both in the Photoshop or similar software. Main thing here is not to move the camera and use the same settings. Actually, you can use different settings for the foreground and background. It's a bit more difficult for the post-processing but might provide better results 😃

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mikhail Lukichev said:

During the session I mentioned that I was working on one image from March. Here we go, today I've posted it to my social media.

Overall, I took almost 800 photos from 02:27am to 5:44am. Around 100 selected photos were merged to form the star trails. Foreground was taken from another photo taken during twilight before sunrise. 

Everything is edited in the Adobe Lightroom.StartrailsSm.jpg.01f208e71acf4ab39a73e2cca139399a.jpg

As usual, one of the RAW photos before processing.Before.jpg.486e215c27a949858b1f3a38558bf936.jpg

Amazing !!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Mikhail Lukichev said:

During the session I mentioned that I was working on one image from March. Here we go, today I've posted it to my social media.

Overall, I took almost 800 photos from 02:27am to 5:44am. Around 100 selected photos were merged to form the star trails. Foreground was taken from another photo taken during twilight before sunrise. 

Everything is edited in the Adobe Lightroom.StartrailsSm.jpg.01f208e71acf4ab39a73e2cca139399a.jpg

As usual, one of the RAW photos before processing.Before.jpg.486e215c27a949858b1f3a38558bf936.jpg

I love the sky’s colour … I need to work on my Lightroom curves usage as it’s so easy going to the extremes and hence make my sky’s look over saturated/ blue!  Thank you for sharing these @Mikhail Lukichev … stunning pics and inspiring me to try again and keep practicing … do share your insta details!  I am now following @samamaraalso and she has some stunning shots and cannot wait for her to join us … having so many talented photographers keen to share and teach is a privilege! 

Edited by Niki
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mikhail Lukichev said:

Here you have very close subject on the foreground and beautiful stars on the background. It's impossible to have both in focus, of course.

We can take two shots: focus on the stars and focus on the car. Then we can merge both in the Photoshop or similar software. Main thing here is not to move the camera and use the same settings. Actually, you can use different settings for the foreground and background. It's a bit more difficult for the post-processing but might provide better results 😃

It was actually all the stars that lost focus… when I changed the battery I must have moved the focus ring (as you warned) so all those shots were sadly not usable… but a super learning (remove live view as that drained my battery in the first place and use some tape as you advised to hold the focus ring even if I handle the camera for what ever reason) 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Niki said:

I love the sky’s colour … I need to work on my Lightroom curves usage as it’s so easy going to the extremes and hence make my sky’s look over saturated/ blue!  Thank you for sharing these @Mikhail Lukichev … stunning pics and inspiring me to try again and keep practicing … do share your insta details!  I am now following @samamaraalso and she has some stunning shots and cannot wait for her to join us … having so many talented photographers keen to share and teach is a privilege! 

@Niki thanks so much for the shout out 😍 and your follow on IG. I also can't wait to join you all and look forward to many photography adventures and drives with such an enthusiastic group! I haven't posted it yet but this is what I was doing on our moonless night, along with a Milky Way time lapse I haven't even had the energy to look at yet; these all nighters are amazing and fun but exhausting 😂💔!

WadiShowkaStarTrailsMay.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 4

Just now, samamara said:

this is what I was doing on our moonless night

I shot about 410 images that ended up being whittled down to 370 or so by the time I removed a few dark frames and plane streaks. I was going to shoot longer but decided to get started on that milky way time lapse. Here's a little  time lapse I made of the star trail images. I don't know how well it will play here and I had to compress it to fit under 10MB, but hopefully you can still get a nice idea of it 😊.

3 hours ago, Mikhail Lukichev said:

I love it! Where was this taken @Mikhail Lukichev?

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I came across this website which contains a lot of information too:

https://astrobackyard.com/nightscape-photography/

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use