•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Photo Hunt: Qudra Scenic Sites - Dubai - 30 Apr 2021

Ale Vallecchi

2 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts.

Here are the last minute's info and recommendations for tomorrow's drive.

First, about the meeting point, it can be reached, as indicated by Google Maps, by driving from Qudra's Last Exit toward the Bab al Shams Resort, and entering the drive's area after circling the third roundabout (you'll see an ambulance stand and a mosque): cross the first opening in the guard-rail, the bike track (watch out for bikers, and for the road works), and drive though the gate until you should see my car waiting for the convoy on top of a very small hill. Please arrive at 6:00 AM sharp (or earlier). As soon as you arrive you can start deflating, and tune into Carnity Channel #3 (446.056).

We will leave as soon as possible, but while the convoy is deflating you'll likely be able to start warming up to the photo hunt theme, by shooting the sunrise, on the left of the sand track, due to happen at 5:45am (hence, perhaps, you'd better reach the meeting point earlier). 

As mentioned in the drive's presentation, we'll be able to take pictures of the most scenic sights, ONLY 1) from inside the car, or 2) just standing next to your car (not in groups), and 3) taking portraits one at the time, while the rest will be waiting their turn, in the same order as the convoy's.

The convoy will line up as follows:

@Foxtrot Oscar (Angela) in SL

@samamara in place #3

@aaron kamall at #4

@Anoop Nair #5

@Sunil Mathew in the #6 spot

@tarek at #7

@Niki will anchor the convoy (Center Forward)

@Lucas Neo in #9 place

@TT_Dubai with jersey #10

@Russ in the #11 spot, and 

@Desert Dweller (Jamy) closing the convoy at Sweep.

Get ready for the drive with a restorative rest, and to enjoy a picturesque drive. See you tomorrow.

Edited by samamara
Unnecessary message

2 minutes ago, samamara said:

@Ale Vallecchi or anyone who has or knows about Baofeng UV5R radios, can you help? I did the Absolute Newbie drive a while ago and then was sidelined medically (not Covid, don't worry) so I've only recently got my radio. I'm looking at it now and I've got the channel in but my radio doesn't seem to make any noise. The videos I'm watching has their radios beeping and telling them when they've switched modes and making lots of sounds but mine is making nothing. Is that normal? Does anyone have any insight? Other than the lack of beeps everything seems on (the numbers, the channels, the lights, the flashes, etc.). Please let me know if you know. I am coming into Dubai from RAK in the morning, leaving at 4:00-ish, and I don't want to get turned away at the last minute because my radio isn't working 😩 when it's brand new and never used. TIA!

Don’t worry some one will help you setup in the morning.

9 minutes ago, Lakshmi Narasimhan said:

Don’t worry some one will help you setup in the morning.

Thanks @Lakshmi Narasimhan - I deleted the message because I thought I had it figured out but I'm afraid my radio is not working 😩😩😩! I have gone through everything and the channel changing is fine, all the lights, all the menu options, etc., but there is no sound. I mean none of the beeps are there (even though it's set in the menu to do so). 

I'll paste my message here again in hopes that @Ale Vallecchi or someone can tell me if there's something missing. I really don't want to get turned back to RAK at 6:00 😩🙏🏼.

Original message: Ale Vallecchi or anyone who has or knows about Baofeng UV5R radios, can you help? I did the Absolute Newbie drive a while ago and then was sidelined medically (not Covid, don't worry) so I've only recently got my radio. I'm looking at it now and I've got the channel in but my radio doesn't seem to make any noise. The videos I'm watching has their radios beeping and telling them when they've switched modes and making lots of sounds but mine is making nothing. Is that normal? Does anyone have any insight? Other than the lack of beeps everything seems on (the numbers, the channels, the lights, the flashes, etc.). Please let me know if you know. I am coming into Dubai from RAK in the morning, leaving at 4:00-ish, and I don't want to get turned away at the last minute because my radio isn't working 😩 when it's brand new and never used. TIA!

• Like (+1) 2

@samamara bring the radio charged … I have a spare unit with all the frequencies programmed so if we cannot make it work I am more than happy to loan you it (we can just switch batteries if mine is not carrying enough charge). I will sanitize it before passing your way so we are covid compliant.  

see you in the morning.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Niki said:

@samamara bring the radio charged … I have a spare unit with all the frequencies programmed so if we cannot make it work I am more than happy to loan you it (we can just switch batteries if mine is not carrying enough charge). I will sanitize it before passing your way so we are covid compliant.  

see you in the morning.  

@Niki - You are AWESOME! Now I can sleep restfully! See you all in the morning :)

• Like (+1) 3

hi Alessandro, just to let you know that my phone has died yesterday and I can't reach you for us to meet after the drive.

I will recontact you once I have my mobile phone restored and fully working. Sorry for that.

see you soon and enjoy the drive...

12 hours ago, samamara said:

Thanks @Lakshmi Narasimhan - I deleted the message because I thought I had it figured out but I'm afraid my radio is not working 😩😩😩! I have gone through everything and the channel changing is fine, all the lights, all the menu options, etc., but there is no sound. I mean none of the beeps are there (even though it's set in the menu to do so). 

I'll paste my message here again in hopes that @Ale Vallecchi or someone can tell me if there's something missing. I really don't want to get turned back to RAK at 6:00 😩🙏🏼.

Original message: Ale Vallecchi or anyone who has or knows about Baofeng UV5R radios, can you help? I did the Absolute Newbie drive a while ago and then was sidelined medically (not Covid, don't worry) so I've only recently got my radio. I'm looking at it now and I've got the channel in but my radio doesn't seem to make any noise. The videos I'm watching has their radios beeping and telling them when they've switched modes and making lots of sounds but mine is making nothing. Is that normal? Does anyone have any insight? Other than the lack of beeps everything seems on (the numbers, the channels, the lights, the flashes, etc.). Please let me know if you know. I am coming into Dubai from RAK in the morning, leaving at 4:00-ish, and I don't want to get turned away at the last minute because my radio isn't working 😩 when it's brand new and never used. TIA!

I'm not sure but looks like the speaker in your radio has died. I have the same problem in one of my Boafeng radio and it will only produce sound when connected to its earphone. 

10 minutes ago, samamara said:

Thanks @thomasvargheseI’ll give it a go and see 😃

@samamara I think you may have dropped the radio somewhere. The speaker inside that radio is very cheap. Unfortunately the repair costs more than the radio - almost double. Better buy another one and salvage the battery from this. I use the radio whose speaker is not working with headphone while I drive as its more clear than the built in speaker

Hope you took @Niki's offer and participated in the drive. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@samamara I think you may have dropped the radio somewhere. The speaker inside that radio is very cheap. Unfortunately the repair costs more than the radio - almost double. Better buy another one and salvage the battery from this. I use the radio whose speaker is not working with headphone while I drive as its more clear than the built in speaker

Hope you took @Niki's offer and participated in the drive. 

@thomasvargheseNo, for sure I didn’t drop it. I just got it and this was meant to be my first use of it. Yes @Niki lent me a radio ans I fully enjoyed the drive 🤩 and even maybe got a few nice shots as well 😃

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use