•  

COVID19 Compliant - Wednesday Morning Short Intermediate Desert Drive - Salute to the Sun from Al Qudra to Lisaili - Dubai - 5 May 2021

Drive Brief

The day of a good yogi/yogini should start with a salute to the sun: that of a good off-roader should start with an equal tribute to the magnificence of the desert in the early surnise light, enjoying the incredible peace that it has to offer. Starting at dawn, 5:45AM, from the pylon track crossing the sabkha at the end of the Al Qudra - Solar Park Road, we will zig-zag heading north-east, enjoying a long series of high and long range dunes, that will take us to Lisaili where, if time will allow, we will try to reach the "Mighty Lisaili Dunes", a spectacular group of high dunes, the perfect climax to energize an off-roader's working day, before exiting at Lisaili Fort by 8:45am. 

1954675013_AlQudraDunes.png.0e4cb9e665eab3992ad76100bce9f053.png

General Infos

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: Ban Post

TWO WAY RADIO GUIDELINES

• Every Off-roader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

SUGGESTED READING: Carnity Two Way Radio Frequencies

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

Drive Details

Level:  Intermediate and Above (All Levels)

When: 5 May 2021, Wednesday.

Meeting time: 5:45 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Al Qudra Pylon Track - https://goo.gl/maps/VurDujZbhkNZjGah7

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and your own compressor for tire inflation.

Approximate finish time: 8:45 AM

End Point: Lisaili Fort

Limited Spots Available:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Tuesday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT 

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

this RSVP is now closed.

Here below is the convoy order for tomorrow:

image.png.bea02c857ce85d228b96ce10e06ae061.png

@varunmehndiratta, @Lawrence_Chehimi, @GauravSoni, @Shaaz Sha, @Dodi Syahdar, this drive is going to be technically demanding, both mentally for the drivers than mechanically for the cars, as it is meant to be a fast pace drive with recurring technically challenging passages. It will require your full and undivided concentration at every step, so make sure you come well rested, fully hydrated, and that you don’t have any reason for being distracted. Also, please consider carefully if you wish to bring passengers along with you.

We will be using Carnity Channel 2 (446.0
3125MHz).

See tomorrow morning, ready to go (i.e. already deflated, flagged and briefed) by no later 5:45am (sharp), so make sure you make it to the meeting point at least by 5:30am.

• Like (+1) 2

@Lorenzo Candelpergher kindly confirm if I can RSVP for the drive tonight. My car is in workshop  for a broken radiator hose and I had to forfeit a drive with @Ale Vallecchi today and I would like to join if the car comes out of workshop tonight. 

• Sad (0) 1

7 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher kindly confirm if I can RSVP for the drive tonight. My car is in workshop  for a broken radiator hose and I had to forfeit a drive with @Ale Vallecchi today and I would like to join if the car comes out of workshop tonight. 

Any updates @Thomas Varghese

DRIVE REPORT 

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

What a drive today!

Our short convoy hit the sand by 5:55am after the briefing. As we entered the desert, we immediately realized it was going to be a great drive: the rain and the wind of the previous days had reshaped the dunes to a perfectly virgin status with no tracks to be seen anywhere. 

@Lawrence_Chehimi had a taste of the difference between Fewbie and Intermediate drives quite soon, as he got stuck for the 1st time since joining Carnity. I'll take it as a badge of honor for me, as I did with @Mario Cornejo's first stuck two weeks ago.. 😂

As we proceeded along our route we entered a technical area with some nasty pockets, one of which took @Shaaz Sha by surprise, causing a popout, which was quickly fixed after winching his X-Terra out.

We then moved to a wonderful area of very long dunes, where we really enjoyed riding right along the crest for incredibly long distances. Not sure who it was, but someone couldn't refrain from shouting on the radio "That was amazing!". Indeed it was! 

We then had our moment of drama, when @Dodi Syahdar's beast ended stuck sliding down on a slip face with some nasty rocks at the bottom. @Dodi Syahdar was however very calm and precise and he was able to recover from the stuck in no time avoiding the rocks.

As the convoy warmed up, I started to bump the level up consistently, to see the response. We did some seriously challenging stuff and everyone did really great. 

@varunmehndiratta was a very good 2nd lead, careful and responsive to my indications. A couple of re-attempts were required here and there on some of the most ambitious passages for the day, as was also the case for @GauravSoni and @Lawrence_Chehimi, but we didn't have any other major stucks and we could therefore have a central stint of the drive extremely fast paced as we moved north-east, recovering part of the almost 40 mins lost in the beginning of the drive between stucks and pop-out. 

We quickly made it to the Lisaili Mighty Dunes, which never disappoint. We had a good 20 mins time roaming around these complex and high sand formations, which, when you make it to the top, make you feel really accomplished. It was in fact in one of those moments of self-celebration that I was distracted and got my stuck for the day, beautifully crested with a fantastic view.. 😂😂

Once we left the Mighty Dunes, we started moving West, as the clock was ticking and I wanted to keep my commitment to exit not later than 8:45am.

We indulged a bit more on some nice, large and fat ridges which were screaming for our tires to leave some marks, before entering the technical dunes that lead to the pylon track. 

The convoy was a very good one, so we crossed the technical area without any trouble, moving to the west side of the pylon track heading to our exit point at Lisaili Fort, where we reached by 8:48am: hadn't it been for a new fence that forced us to rerout for a little while, we would have been out exactly at the terget exit time. 

Overall we covered 48.8km in 2h 52', of which 2h 15' moving (with an average moving speed of 21.7km/h) and 37' stopped.

I truly had fun and I thank the whole convoy for a beautiful drive: everyone did extremely well, as it was - at some points - quite a tough drive. A special kudos goes to @Lawrence_Chehimi, on his inaugural Intermediate drive: well done! 

See you soon in the sand again!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher for the ultimate drive...couldn't have been a better way to start the day...

For me was first time as a Second lead and it was real fun, trying to cope with the tracks of maestro...

Size of the convoy was just perfect for the terrain and weather...we had small refusals, a couple of created vehicles and a pop out however for the terrain, all did really well...

Thanks all for the lovely drive and hoping to see you all soon..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Unfortunately I couldn't join all of you for fun as I ended up with a broken radiator metal hose and the horrible pain repairing it. The car is still in workshop waiting for the part. Stucks or pop outs we can solve but this is really painful repairing a mechanical fault like this. 

• Sad (0) 3

Important Information

Terms of use