•  

COVID19 Compliant - Afternoon Fewbie PLUS Desert Drive - Al Aweer to As Far as We Can - Dubai - 4 May 2021

13 hours ago, Lakshmi Narasimhan said:

Thanks @Ale Vallecchifor the wonderful drive very well supported by @Gaurav Soni, @Craig Finlayson, @Shehab Alawadhi. What a day it was, blessed with pleasant weather, heavy downpour,  beautiful rainbow really made the day and the drive enjoyable, pleasant and memorable one. I loved ridge riding very much, started of with little under momentum, but looking at @Ale VallecchiI was able to pick up quickly and learnt a lot. I can feel I am improving after every drive and understand my car better, still long way to go!!! What a team work in recovering, very much satisfied and thanks to entire convoy for the patience and making it a wonderful day. Have a nice week ahead, see you all soon on sands again!!!

933A35DE-661D-40D1-A5B3-8CDF17CEBCB0.jpeg

Thanks @Ale Vallecchifor great drive and great weather. 

20210504_165147.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Please find the link to drive videos, I will finish uploading videos by tonight and tomorrow. Rain and rainbow looks beautiful!!!

• Like (+1) 4

Al Aweer to As far as we can go - Drive Report

"Let me, O let me bathe my soul in colors; let me swallow the sunset and drink the rainbow.' - Khalil Gibran

What I had in mind was a drive in true desert conditions: torrid and dusty, with soft, shifty and blinding sand. What we got was almost a  miracle: a drive into dark clouds, under torrential rain, followed, just as quickly as it came, by a full rainbow, and beaten, wet, cakey sand. 

Words should leave their place to images, which I hope the better equipped members could capture with their Go Pros or mounted cameras. 

What I can say, climatic conditions aside, is that the  main skill of the day - ridge riding - was practiced with great precision by the whole convoy, even though the uncommon terrain (wet and beaten on top, but soft and gluey just below the surface) provided an easier ground than usual when climbing, but a more reluctant surface when riding the ridges, with muddy sand quickly building under the cars, and forcing more than one exit from the crests. The main takeaway from the day, besides nature's wild beauty, hopefully was that it's possible to ride ridges without ploughing them down, driving along their curvy contours with just as much finesse as that required to tackle technical dunes, building and adapting momentum (as generated by the speed extracted from the engine, times the weight of the car), depending on the ridge length, curvature, steepness, and on the eventual exit point (weather forced or willingly chosen). 

I believe the experiment of alternating Intermediates with Fewbie Plus drivers gave good fruits, resulting in an overall sustained drive, during which there was never a moment of clear and present danger (in the case of this area, even more likely, due to the length and curviness of the cordons, and the omni-presence of bushes and small trees).  Great support by @Craig Finlayson at CF, and @Shehab Alawadhi in SW, with @Lakshmi Narasimhan executing a clean Second Lead, and @Gaurav Soni and @Ali Abas promptly coming to assist when needed. Great job by @Pacific, @Batuhan Kulac, @Gok Krish, and @Ranjan Das. A special mention for @Probir Mukherjee, who came into the drive after a long absence from the desert, and overcame with patience and perseverance all the obstacles that the terrain, combined with his rustiness, threw at him, steadily improving his driving throughout the afternoon, all the way to executing a great self-recovery from the last ridge before exiting. Well done Probir, for persisting and getting your mojo back. 

At end of this eventful day, we fulfilled the goal of the drive, and went "as far as we could", driving 59 Km, in a total of 3:43 hours, of which 2:39 moving, at an average moving speed of 22 Km/h (16Km/h total average).

Thank you all for joining, and see you soon again. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

23 hours ago, Lakshmi Narasimhan said:

Please find the link to drive videos, I will finish uploading videos by tonight and tomorrow. Rain and rainbow looks beautiful!!!

Updated all the videos!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:34 PM, Ale Vallecchi said:

Al Aweer to As far as we can go - Drive Report

"Let me, O let me bathe my soul in colors; let me swallow the sunset and drink the rainbow.' - Khalil Gibran

What I had in mind was a drive in true desert conditions: torrid and dusty, with soft, shifty and blinding sand. What we got was almost a  miracle: a drive into dark clouds, under torrential rain, followed, just as quickly as it came, by a full rainbow, and beaten, wet, cakey sand. 

Words should leave their place to images, which I hope the better equipped members could capture with their Go Pros or mounted cameras. 

What I can say, climatic conditions aside, is that the  main skill of the day - ridge riding - was practiced with great precision by the whole convoy, even though the uncommon terrain (wet and beaten on top, but soft and gluey just below the surface) provided an easier ground than usual when climbing, but a more reluctant surface when riding the ridges, with muddy sand quickly building under the cars, and forcing more than one exit from the crests. The main takeaway from the day, besides nature's wild beauty, hopefully was that it's possible to ride ridges without ploughing them down, driving along their curvy contours with just as much finesse as that required to tackle technical dunes, building and adapting momentum (as generated by the speed extracted from the engine, times the weight of the car), depending on the ridge length, curvature, steepness, and on the eventual exit point (weather forced or willingly chosen). 

I believe the experiment of alternating Intermediates with Fewbie Plus drivers gave good fruits, resulting in an overall sustained drive, during which there was never a moment of clear and present danger (in the case of this area, even more likely, due to the length and curviness of the cordons, and the omni-presence of bushes and small trees).  Great support by @Craig Finlayson at CF, and @Shehab Alawadhi in SW, with @Lakshmi Narasimhan executing a clean Second Lead, and @Gaurav Soni and @Ali Abas promptly coming to assist when needed. Great job by @Pacific, @Batuhan Kulac, @Gok Krish, and @Ranjan Das. A special mention for @Probir Mukherjee, who came into the drive after a long absence from the desert, and overcame with patience and perseverance all the obstacles that the terrain, combined with his rustiness, threw at him, steadily improving his driving throughout the afternoon, all the way to executing a great self-recovery from the last ridge before exiting. Well done Probir, for persisting and getting your mojo back. 

At end of this eventful day, we fulfilled the goal of the drive, and went "as far as we could", driving 59 Km, in a total of 3:43 hours, of which 2:39 moving, at an average moving speed of 22 Km/h (16Km/h total average).

Thank you all for joining, and see you soon again. 

@Ale Vallecchi thanks for encouragement  all through .

@Craig Finlaysonthanks for manual 2 tip , helped a lot .

@Gaurav Soni @Lakshmi Narasimhanand 

the amazing co drivers many thanks for digging me out .

Some one has my shovel .

Any way I will get a new one .

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use