•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Margham Exploration - Dubai - 7 May 2021

Wrangeld

41 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

We have a free sextant app on iOS /android that we can use…. Should be interesting!!!

You just spared my embarrassment @GauravSoni!! I was about to bring in the school project sextant based on that YouTube video!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Watteau he was awesome! Came personally with the spacers!  Made a ramp free for me in a full garage and changed it up before I could get hungry for lunch!  Such a super bloke and thank you for establishing the connection!  I didn’t get the control arms done yet but plan to at a later stage for sure!  Ps the spacers from the other garage were put on poorly so this was a blessing to get fixed before any issues.! 

• Like (+1) 2

Fabulous drive @Wrangeld I really enjoyed myself and as usual, I learnt as much from watching others difficulties as I did dealing with my own. Your calm leadership style I am sure helped the confidence of the newbies and lowered stress levels all around. If you want to drive my Gadgero at any stage to assess my modifications, you are more than welcome. See you on the next one!

Thanks to @Foxtrot Oscar for keeping our tails safe and a special mention to @Watteau as the most patient caring mother hen I have ever driven behind, well done sir!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Today was a perfect day ( last one I promise), open flowing drive, not too hot, a real mixed convoy, now I see the benefit of mixed convoys, I really enjoy helping out and learning and if possible sharing some knowledge, I learnt today all about Mitsubishi relays and how to get the most out of the Pajero before resorting to external forces. Invaluable. Our good friends Momentum and Commitment were also coming out to play and by the closing stages were in full effect and performing well. We have to remember that what we do is not necessarily natural, our motto of not fighting gravity can be counter intuitive, but once grasped opens the door to improving ones skills. I for one will be signing up for lots more newbies and fewbies, its fun and rewarding. This is what we came for (sorry I lied, Rihanna I think). See you all again soon.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Wrangeld what a wonderful way to spend a morning!  Loved this drive (views, climate, 80s pop hits references). 

A little more challenging than I remember newbie drives so special kudos to the newbie members within the convoy!  

special mention to @Watteau … a master class for us intermediates in the CF role and general convoy leadership!  Clear, calm, patient and such a great approach to motivate and compliment our newbies as they went through their respective recoveries!  I tip my hat as you were an out an out winner of our competition (even with the -3000 points for the baked goods fiasco!  Love riding on a convoy with you! 

@Foxtrot Oscar I have to say, in what was the tightest of competitions, you were a slight winner in the 80s/90s power ballads/soft rock references.  By the time I had thought of a line/lyric you lot had already moved on!!! I have a lot to learn and Spotify 80s greatest hits is now my go to playlist for future rides with you! 

@Wade Pat2 absolutely love your ride!  It’s pristine … and I hope your new shocks enjoyed the breaking in :) 

I have added (to the gallery ) shots I got from the play areas and a few nice perspectives I could catch.  Carnity not only has woken up a hobbyist dune basher but has re-woken a past passion for photography… I tried shutter priority to ensure I could keep up with the movement … a few out of focus but in general I hope the pics captured all of your fine cars enjoying that bowl!! @Gaurav Soni I even caught you with 1 wheel in the air!! There were some 💙 cars in our convoy today! 

thank you all that made this such a fun and enjoyable trip!  See you soon! 

Edited by Niki
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 minute ago, Niki said:

@Wrangeld what a wonderful way to spend a morning!  Loved this drive (views, climate, 80s pop hits references). 

A little more challenging than I remember newbie drives so special kudos to the newbie members within the convoy!  

special mention to @Watteau … a master class for us intermediates in the CF role and general convoy leadership!  Clear, calm, patient and such a great approach to motivate and compliment our newbies as they went through their respective recoveries!  I tip my hat as you were an out an out winner of our competition (even with the -3000 points for the baked goods fiasco!  Love riding on a convoy with you! 

@Foxtrot Oscar I have to say, in what was the tightest of competitions, you were a slight winner in the 80s/90s power ballads/soft rock references.  By the time I had thought of a line/lyric you lot had already moved on!!! I have a lot to learn and Spotify 80s greatest hits is now my go to playlist for future rides with you! 

@Wade Pat2 absolutely love your ride!  It’s pristine … and I hope your new shocks enjoyed the breaking in :) 

I have added the shots I got from the play areas and a few nice perspectives I could catch.  Carnity not only has woken up a hobbyist dune badger but has re-woken a past passion for photography… I tried shutter priority to ensure I could keep up with the movement … a few out of focus but in general I hope the pics captured all of your fine cars enjoying that bowl!! @Gaurav Soni I even caught you with 1 wheel in the air!! There were some 💙 cars in our convoy today! 

thank you all that made this such a fun and enjoyable trip!  See you soon! 

Those photos are awesome, baked goods on the bonnet is the next photography masterclass

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Wrangeldthanks for another great drive .

@Watteaugreat call having me stop from backing into a worse stuck and knowing when to call in more help to figure out the situation. I think it was a good "first stuck".

@Nikigreat pics of my old Land Cruiser. Trying my best to keep it stock.  Shocks were much better than the old wore out ones. Just when I was running out of things to fix It blessed me with a nice clunking sound from the rear. 😀 

I really enjoyed the mixed drive and appreciate the more experienced drivers joining in allowing us to watch and learn.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

Post Drive Report

I imagine that @Alfred Alinazar might feel that he had more recoveries today than most - but you need to keep in mind that half the convoy was intermediate drivers who should not be getting stuck on a drive like this. Actually, considering the complexity of the dunes all the newbies and fewbies did extremely well to manage what this drive had to offer. That you've experienced so many self recoveries will be essential as you move on.

@Wrangeld, there were several moments when I was so nervous to see the dunes and thought that I took a trip that was too advance for me. But in the end, I finally realized that if I didn't take this trip, I would not learn as much as I had yesterday.

Thank you very much for your patience of guiding and helping me during the drive.
Also Special thanks to @Watteau and @Gaurav Soni for assisting me on the recoveries. I learned a lot from both of you.

Last but not least, I would like to thank all the team for your patience to keep waiting for me when I managed to get my car stuck many times.

What a wonderful experience !

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use