•  

Digital Camera - Absolute Beginner Guidelines

Frederic

@Frederic are we going to use the shutter speeds preset in the camera or going into bulb mode for astrophotography? If bulb mode then the photographer needs a remote shutter release also. 

12 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@Frederic are we going to use the shutter speeds preset in the camera or going into bulb mode for astrophotography? If bulb mode then the photographer needs a remote shutter release also. 

As many people don't have a remote shutter release, i would recommend using the shutter speed presets. Furthermore i think not every camera has the "B" Bulb setting.

On top of that, if you exceed 30 seconds shutter speed, you will start to have some trailing effects, which is great if you want to experiment with that. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, Frederic said:

As many people don't have a remote shutter release, i would recommend using the shutter speed presets. Furthermore i think not every camera has the "B" Bulb setting.

The min speed which could be set is then 30sec and I hope that will be enough. Anyways I have bulb mode in the camera but hasn't experimented with it yet. Any canon users can upload a firmware called magic lantern which I have tried in my cameras and have found to be safe. This software firmware upgrade enhances the usability of most canon cameras than stock.  The link to magic lantern is posted below. The authors claim no responsibility for any crashes but I have been using them since 4 or 5 years and they are safe for me whether its the nightly build or the stable build. This is a very useful software for canon users who still cling to the older models as it brings out the power hidden in the sensor. Sort of like ECU remapping for our cars. 

Magic Lantern | Home

• Well Done (+2) 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

The min speed which could be set is then 30sec and I hope that will be enough. Anyways I have bulb mode in the camera but hasn't experimented with it yet. Any canon users can upload a firmware called magic lantern which I have tried in my cameras and have found to be safe. This software firmware upgrade enhances the usability of most canon cameras than stock.  The link to magic lantern is posted below. The authors claim no responsibility for any crashes but I have been using them since 4 or 5 years and they are safe for me whether its the nightly build or the stable build. This is a very useful software for canon users who still cling to the older models as it brings out the power hidden in the sensor. Sort of like ECU remapping for our cars. 

Magic Lantern | Home

So far with my 5D Mark2 and Samyang 14mm i got the best results around 25 seconds shutter speed. You can use the 500 rule to determine which is your recommended shutter speed and we will have plenty time to experiment with the settings.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

This software firmware upgrade enhances the usability of most canon cameras than stock.

Mods for cameras!  I want a diff-lock button in mine :) 

On a serious note, apart from the usual settings of speed, aperture and ISO, from memory these will vary depending on the sensor of your camera, I remember when I switched from CMOS to Full Frame I did not have to play with speed and ISO that much, otherwise I would start picking up light from the city/roads nearby.

A question to all: has anyone here tried a Bahtinov mask (to help focusing on stars) or a light pollution filter?

Important Information

Terms of use