•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Night Fewbie Desert Drive - Al Yahar - Abu Dhabi - 20 May 2021

Chaitanya D

16 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Crossed yala guys 

They asked for result on al hosn app?
Desert sand churned up some elixir to help you cross the border for all the offerings made by our cars in the desert!!!

Edited by Lakshmi Narasimhan
Edit
  • Haha (+1) 1

well I'm bummed my car is still in garage 😭😭 , but maybe better safe than sorry due to rushed job. Have fun guys, bro @Karthikeyan Govindarajan take lots of pics 😃

• Sad (0) 2

Guys… I had posted some pics in the gallery. 

@Chaitanya D pls do post a photo of our trip summary and gps map recordings. Thanks

@Zed You just missed it. Thats all I can say. Amazing adventurous trip by @Chaitanya D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, Karthikeyan Govindarajan said:

@Zed You just missed it. Thats all I can say. Amazing adventurous trip by @Chaitanya D

I know bro @Karthikeyan Govindarajan, that is why I always sign-up if Dr @Chaitanya D is coming to Abu Dhabi... lesson learned for me is: when the Doctor is coming, hold & don't send your car to garage 😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Karthikeyan Govindarajan said:

@Chaitanya D… apologies to bother. Bit eager to see the map routes and trip summary. So plsss

Hi @Karthikeyan Govindarajan.

Attached map file for you,  can be seen with wikiloc, Gaia, or my trails app

FB Night Yahar 20 May 2021.gpx

Summary I will be writing soon👍

19 hours ago, Zed said:

I know bro @Karthikeyan Govindarajan, that is why I always sign-up if Dr @Chaitanya D is coming to Abu Dhabi... lesson learned for me is: when the Doctor is coming, hold & don't send your car to garage 😂😂😂

Omg, that's a lot of praise 🤣. I enjoy sweihan as much as everyone else and that's it. But yes, always open to explore and push more there due to the kind of terrain it offers 

• Like (+1) 1

Drive report 

Well by now you all know it started with some last minute niggles.  My pcr was negative but it wasn't reflecting on the Al hosn. The excitement of going to Sweihan did not let me wait. I went straight to the mina Rashid seha center where I did my pcr and asked them why not updated. They informed me that on Thursday the Al hosn app had some technical issues.

Straight from there I left so that in a worst case scenario I could atleast let u all know well in advance and especially to Richard who was already close to the start point.

At the check point , I had a discussion with the officer who said I need to make a U turn back to Dubai. Well this was when I had to extend our discussion,  show him all the reports,  receipts and the messages I received.  With lot of checking which was right on their part , they let me through. It was indeed a relief to be back where I personally love driving , be it day or night.

Glad to see all at the starting point. Great to catch up with some new friends in Xavier , and good old mates - Ruan, Hasan, Mustafa and Karthick. We had a covid safe brief and off we go. We drove along the direction heading north from Yahar which meant we were climbing the slip phases . This made driving a task, and especially leading for me daunting at places as I could not find easy exits going into some deeper bowls.

With Richard and Marjan sweeping I was assured of some fantastic support and guidance which we experienced through the drive. One pop out in a nasty pocket like area meant we had to break for a considerable amount of time, but it was a good experience.  Fixed up and good to go!

We entered further venturing into an area notorious for sand formations,  went as close but avoided going directly there. @Mus_hus78 might agree on this.

While it was a great experience for me leading in night in a challenging terrain at Yahar, a big shout out to you all for driving with min issues, and almost to perfection except for few issues needing a quick pop out fix, some tugs (including one for me) , shovelling and some great self recoveries in the dark by Mustafa, Hasan, Xaviet and Richard. Mustafa now might know a new trick getting out from a wierd crest situation.

@Xavier Treasurer a big thank you for being a perfect 2nd lead and doing the correction when I made mistakes . Well done

@Karthikeyan Govindarajan impressive how you drove, but for the last crest - a karthick special. Which we all enjoyed, but you did well considering the terrain.

@Mus_hus78 drove beautifbeautifully managing the challenges well. Your commaradrie on the drive is wonderful bring some smiles on everyone with your talks.

@Hasan Wahlan managed his LC to perfection,  even though being slightly back. Improving every drive , looking back from your NB we did some time back. Well done, make sure you balance your wheel after removing all the sand inside thoroughly. 

@Ruan van den Heever was unstoppable,  conquering every dune with ease. Great to have you everytime we have been in sweihan. Well done

@Wrangeld and @Jeepie thanks for sweeping, and helping on all the advises. How you had a great time being in sweihan. We enjoyed your company. 

Some pictures and stats uploaded  in gallery.

See you all soon.

Please share some feedback, and the feasibility if you all would be able to join for a weekday drive . Let me know which time would be convenient so that it can be planned well for max participation .

See you all soon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

It's been a long long time since I was on a drive in AD (except for Liwa - which does not count because that it a special event).

As I had to be in AD for meetings this was a great opportunity to leverage my PCR test and support on a drive with @Chaitanya Dwhose drives are always amazingly well planned and exciting. I was not disappointed or let down. 

This was a great drive, swooping through bowls, soft sand and even some tempting technical sections all in the dark and [because I was at sweep and catching up often] at some speed. As the car was showing signs of being tired, I did not play on Lady Dune - next time. 

All drivers were incredible. And the lead - wonderful. Looking forward to the next chance to follow. 

Since I installed my night lights, my car has been termed the rabbit with headlights :-) and the new functionality of being able to isolate and switch on only one set at a time was very helpful and meant that the person sitting on the side of the car was no longer  blinded as the side shooters can be turned off. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use