•  
Advertise here

Choosing Tires

Wade Pat2

Looking for some new tire advice. Car use is road driving few times a week short drives to malls, restruants, etc. once every few months longer trips to Fujeriah area. Likely , continued weekly trips for Carnity drives in desert.

Was thinking to go to slightly more AT tire when I change tires . Will this help steering and control in desert for my heavy Land Cruiser and/or will they be more durable?

Current tire is Nexan HT. 

Thinking of going with Geolandar G015 or the Michelin LTX Force. The difference on price is not large enough for me to mind of Michelin is better.

Would really like to know any experience with the ltx Force in Sand? Plenty of great reviews on the Geo's.

Now I am leaning Geo for off-road performance and LTX on-road. If they are equal off-road I will likely go Michelin. 

Welcome all thoughts and expirience.

• Like (+1) 1

@Wade Pat2 When it comes to tires. Michelin is the name in the game. I run on low profiles but have been checking out tires here and there so it is your choice whether my advice even interests you haha. If I had to go for some new tires I would take the michelins (mainly because my car weighs 3 tons). The michelins will be much more quiet on the highway, last longer and not that it matters too much... will be superior in the rain and perform similar if not better on the sand. If you can afford them, look no further but wait for some advice from someone who has had both maybe for your final decision. Hope that helped a little bit. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Batuhan KulacThanks for the info. I am leaning toward Michelin for sure. Just not much info on the LTX Force that I could find. 

On another topic my wife and daughter both love G Wagons and they are not common where we lived in US before Dubai. She even has the small diesel GLK to drive in US when we are on leave but wishes it was a real G. haha

We watched the latest video of your car yesterday in amazement and some fear :). You are a good driver and it is great to see the heavy G in the sand. Hopefully you will be in front of us on a Newbie or Fewbie drive one day so we can see first hand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Wade Pat2 said:

@Batuhan KulacThanks for the info. I am leaning toward Michelin for sure. Just not much info on the LTX Force that I could find. 

On another topic my wife and daughter both love G Wagons and they are not common where we lived in US before Dubai. She even has the small diesel GLK to drive in US when we are on leave but wishes it was a real G. haha

We watched the latest video of your car yesterday in amazement and some fear :). You are a good driver and it is great to see the heavy G in the sand. Hopefully you will be in front of us on a Newbie or Fewbie drive one day so we can see first hand.

I had the pleasure of driving directly behind the G Wagon of @Batuhan Kulac over the Eid break drive. Yes, it was definitely interesting to observe first hand the G navigating the dunes. 

Between the 2 options that you have stated, I have read on this forum that both tyres are very good in the desert and highway with Michelin having the edge over the Geolander.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Wade Pat2 said:

Yes it is truly a beast with lots of power. Hence my catch phrase is dig and claw!!! haha. Thank you for the kind words and I also hope to see you guys on the sand one day rocking those LTXs. I cannot see whether you are a newbie or a fewbie (i think you are fewbie) but I will be leaving Dubai very soon and I hope that Lorenzo organises a Tuesday or Wednesday morning drive. That would be my last drive for a while if it happens so I hope to catch you there potentially. Those drives fill up fast so make sure to refresh regularly :). Other than that, stay safe and regards to your family!

• Like (+1) 1

I have had experience with Michelin LTX (not the force - newer version) and Geolander extensively.

I totally agree Michelin makes the best tires and though they are slightly pricey, but they will outlast as well.

Michelin LTX are great for road and awesome for sand off-roading as they are lighter and smoother, BUT they aren't good for self-recovery while sand off-roading and they are too soft for wadi and mountain and you will slit the sidewall easily in the mountains.

Geolander on the other hand are the lightest AT tires that work wonder in sand (driving and self-recovery), reasonably good and safe for mountains and reasonably acceptable for road comfort and noise.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@GauravI searched online a bit before deciding on my new tires, and asked the advice of few shops.

My preference was initially for the Geolandars but apparently the latest models of the Geolandar don't have a strong sidewall as before, I was told that they are getting damaged on the sidewalls easily. I guess @Gaurav Soni is also experiencing the same.

The other thing I have noticed during our last drives, the frequent popouts on the Geolandar tires as if you are running a Bridgestone Duelers HT.

If you aren't using the car much on highways then why don't you go with a Bfg ko2? It's a bit noisy but it is a great offroad tire.

If your car doesn't have a great isolation and if you drive it frequently on highways then I would suggest the Michline LTX.

However  if the feedback I was getting on the Geolandars isn't much accurate, then it is better to go with them as they are great on sand.

Let us wait and hear the feedback of the members who recently installed the Yokohamas, maybe I'm mistaken.

• Like (+1) 2

Any tire can pop-out when over-deflated (leaking valve), hard hit while turning, etc.

I'm using G015 since Nov 2020 and so far no pop-out. I always deflate to 10-11 PSI.

BFG are the heaviest tire money can buy and will limit sand off-roading climbs "SUBSTANTIALLY", super bad on gas mileage, but they rock on mountains, self-recovery and of course looks.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks for more info Lawrence and Gaurav. I have had BFG on other vehicle for use in Mud and rocks. I agre,e to heavy for my already heavy LC.  If I had much more power I would consider them since road noise doesnt bother me much. 

I am looking at the specs for the LTX Force. Looks like they have a more aggressive lug pattern and upgraded sidewalls from older versions. I may try them and see how it goes.  Truth is I likely wont have the experience any time soon to out drive the limits if the LC or the tires anyways haha.

Motoring-Malaysia: Michelin LTX Force Tyre Experience: Michelin Malaysia  Shows Off The Michelin LTX Force Range of Tyres At The MICHELIN 'OFF-ROAD  DAYS' Event

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks @Gaurav for the feedback. 

@Wade Pat2, I honestly didn't try the Yokohamas, I was excited at first to put them on,  but i changed my mind when a tire shop and another upgrade center told me about the weak sidewalls.

Again it might not be true, as many members here use them, and Gaurav seems not having any issues till now.

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use