•  

Lens Lovers Club - COVID COMPLIANT Evening Moon Photography Session - 26 May 2021

Frederic

5 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Frederic you inspired me to head out to the balcony and try. 

ISO 100 | F/11 | 1/125 | 200mm | Nikon D3300

I am searching online for a decent (budget) 300 or 400mm lens ready for next week 🙏

DSC_0359-2.jpg.8f99bdb6fc69007c513c8cfb8b1ad495.jpg

Nice ! Your Nikon has 24MP you can probably crop it a bit more without losing too many pixels. 

My zoom lens is budget too, the Sigma 70-300 is probably my least loved lens as it has no O.I.S so it’s basically useless unless you put it on a tripod and use the 10 seconds delay timer to avoid the camera lens from shaking when i push the release.

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, Frederic said:

Nice ! Your Nikon has 24MP you can probably crop it a bit more without losing too many pixels. 

My zoom lens is budget too, the Sigma 70-300 is probably my least loved lens as it has no O.I.S so it’s basically useless unless you put it on a tripod and use the 10 seconds delay timer to avoid the camera lens from shaking when i push the release.

Good point!! The pic I attached was cropped in approx 25% already but I think I can go further!  And telephoto lens without stabilization…. Thanks for this reminder, I’ll try and find one which is stabilized so that it can get used a lot more (or happily use the 200mm)  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Niki said:

Todays attempt using the same setup ISO 100 | F/11 | 1/125 | 200mm | Nikon D3300

Below was a heavy crop but as you said @Frederic, there was plenty resolution/pixels to still make it work out ok. 

DSC_0365.jpg.69ed7a2b8e402547da78d7f631333758.jpg

Great snap !

• Thanks (+1) 1

Copying the previous session post from Mikhail as introduction here:

Hello everyone! 

Thanks for joining us!

Just a small clarification to new members that this is NOT an offroad drive, but a meetup session where everyone brings their camera and where we will practice astrophotography. We will however have to deflate and drive for 10mins off-road to reach our destination where we will do the session.

Since we are going to take some moon photos, we need to have some basic equipment with us. If you do not have something, probably, you will not be able to get desired result. 

However, equipment list is very basic:

1) tripod suitable for your camera. There is no need to have an expensive tripod, however, if your camera and lens is heavy, a sturdy tripod would be handy.

2) DSLR or mirrorless camera. If you do not have one, you can try to shoot with a simple point and shoot camera or phone, but lack of settings could be an issue. If you have a camera but not sure if it is suitable or not, feel free to ask here!

3) You kit lens, or if you have a zoom lens, even better !

4) fully charged battery for your camera.

6) red light headlamp. Red light helps a lot operating your camera and not overstressing your eyes

That's it!

Preparation plan:

We will be mostly using the Manual mode on the camera. We would advise to have a look at your camera's operating manual beforehand so you are comfortable how to switch over to Manual mode and find the settings that you will need to experiment with:

1) ISO setting.

2) Shutter Speed.

3) Aperture Setting.

We will be practicing with various settings and helping you out to determine what works best as per your camera, lens, and personal preferences. 

The main aim is to learn from each other and enjoy the beautiful scenery and tranquility at night, hence we would ask all members to respect the silence and not to disturb others by driving around with the 4x4 during the session, using bright flashlights, or shouting. 

Small request to the members who have not joined a Photography session with us yet. Can you please let us know which model of camera and lenses you have, and if you have some experience in using the camera in manual mode ? This will help us in preparing for the event. 

@varunmehndiratta @Srikumar @BipinM @Hisham Masaad @Zed @Joseph Sebastian @Jamil Abou Assali

Waitlisted members in Chronological order:

1) @Zed

2) @samamara

3) @Joseph Sebastian

4) @Ranjan Das

5) @Hisham Masaad

6) @Jamil Abou Assali

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

Small request to the members who have not joined a Photography session with us yet. Can you please let us know which model of camera and lenses you have, and if you have some experience in using the camera in manual mode ? This will help us in preparing for the event. 

I realize I am not in the ride yet, but being optimistic! 

I have a Pentax K-5 and for this occasion I will probably use a 80-300 as it is my longest zoom, but will also take a100 mm f2.8. I know how to use manual focus, though dont use it much. Also have a tripod which, should be useful . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

4 hours ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Frederic I have Sony A7S II mirrorless, its main use is for Videography but the max ISO of 409,600 is good enough for night photography. Right now I use adjustable lens 24-105mm for daily photo, regretted selling my Carl Zeiss f/1.4 and Leica SummiLux as I missed those wide aperture lens that can see more light and useful for night photography 😂

I only shoot Manual, here's a photo I took of the Atlantis in manual https://www.instagram.com/p/BmiumFAgQuH/?utm_medium=copy_link There's some more of manual shots on my IG page too...

Below is my current setup:

6A036E5C-EC50-4418-92BC-1324257A5961.jpeg.52e02aa2770bbd7b9ea3f5d35da8a018.jpeg

• Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use