•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 28 May 2021

Frederic

33 minutes ago, Jerry Han said:

Hi Frederic, I just received my walkie talkie. Can I check if I need to apply any sort of license to use walkie in UAE?

Hi @Jerry Han no need as we are using license free frequencies.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Temporary Convoy List

1) @Frederic - Pajero SWB Blue - Crew

2) @Josh T. - GMC Sierra - Newbie

3) @Jerry Han - Pajero - Absolute Newbie

4) @Sherry Mathew Jacob - Jeep Grand Cherokee - Absolute Newbie

5) @nr999in - Lexus GX460 - Absolute Newbie

6) @Kailas - Jeep Wrangler SWB Red - Expert

I am looking forward meeting you guys tomorrow at 05AM. The plan is to introduce you all to some desert driving, with some basic side sloping, and straight cresting excercises.  Getting stuck is part of the fun, so please don't feel ashamed or disappointed in case you get stuck. It's a learning experience and we gladly recover vehicles and share the tricks on how to recover yourself.

I hope by now you have all watched the Newbie briefing that was posted in the drive topic, this will be your best introduction for taking your first steps into the sand. 

If you are totally new to desert driving, i would recommend not to bring family members along. It will be important that you feel relaxed and that you can focus on learning the basic skills first. You will be amazed what you will learn in a matter of a few hours.

Myself and @Kailas will be supporting you throughout the drive.

With regards to tools, have a look at below advice. For your first drive a pressure gauge is enough. From a second drive onwards you will be needing a radio, flag, pressure gauge, and a fullsize shovel:

If you have a walkie talkie already, you can program it to our Carnity Channels as per below advice. If not then we will be handing out a spare model that you can use for your first drive with us:

We will be using Channel 2: 446.03125 Mhz.

Please arrive on time (or before is even better) so we can head out to the dunes quickly after deflating the tyres. 

See you tomorrow !

PS in case of emergency my mobile no. is 056 504 26 32 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Temporary Convoy List

I am looking forward meeting you guys tomorrow at 05AM. The plan is to introduce you all to some desert driving, with some basic side sloping, and straight cresting excercises.  Getting stuck is part of the fun, so please don't feel ashamed or disappointed in case you get stuck. It's a learning experience and we gladly recover vehicles and share the tricks on how to recover yourself.

I hope by now you have all watched the Newbie briefing that was posted in the drive topic, this will be your best introduction for taking your first steps into the sand. 

If you are totally new to desert driving, i would recommend not to bring family members along. It will be important that you feel relaxed and that you can focus on learning the basic skills first. You will be amazed what you will learn in a matter of a few hours.

With regards to tools, have a look at below advice. For your first drive a pressure gauge is enough. From a second drive onwards you will be needing a radio, flag, pressure gauge, and a fullsize shovel:

If you have a walkie talkie already, you can program it to our Carnity Channels as per below advice. If not then we will be handing out a spare model that you can use for your first drive with us:

Please arrive on time (or before is even better) so we can head out to the dunes quickly after deflating the tyres. 

See you tomorrow !

Hi Frederic,

Confirmed from my end, have watched the new briefing and I am good to go. Will see you tomorrow at 5am.

7 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Temporary Convoy List

See you tomorrow !

See you all tomorrow.....

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

Temporary Convoy List

See you tomorrow !

Hi Frederic, I am very excited for my 1st desert drive tomorrow! See you.

• Like (+1) 2

Small request: When you arrive at the meeting point just drive a little bit inside the gate. 

@Naveen Raj @Sherry Mathew Jacob @Jerry Han @Josh T. @Kailas

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

DRIVE REPORT

I arrived a bit early, and was able to meet and greet our Fewbie convoy that was almost good to go. Was great seeing some of our Dubai Fewbie members @Warren Flay and @Lakshmi Narasimhan coming over to Abu Dhabi to enjoy this terrain. It says a lot about their commitment and offroad spirit. Well done guys !

Soon i noticed a white Pajero pulling in. @Jerry Han was joining us for the first time with his wife, and was eager to learn today and explore the dunes together with us. 

Buddies @Naveen Raj and @Sherry Mathew Jacob brought a Lexus GXR460 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee to the party.

@Josh T. who i had the pleasure of meeting the week prior, was our second lead, and @Kailas provided superb support at the back.

We started off with some gentle slopes and gradually built it up a bit. We practiced straight-cresting, and some side sloping while getting accustomed to the terrain.  Everyone did really well. We had unfortunately some plastic that came off the Lexus @Naveen Raj was driving. This was mainly due to the low hanging bumper in the front. On @Jerry Han his Pajero is was more the rear Pajero scoop effect that will need a bit of protection to avoid it from coming off completely.

@Josh T. i was really happy and impressed with the help and instructions you gave to @Jerry Han who was behind you. This is the exact role a second lead should be doing and the fact that you grasp this so easily shows you are a true team player. I see you growing in our club very soon: you have the right attitude, team spirit, and a perfect offroad beast that goes along with it !

@Jerry Han you did great for your first offroad drive ! The more drives you do, the more you will master the art of perfect throttle control so you can keep the bumpers intact at all times :)

@Naveen Raj the Lexus is a fantastic 4x4 and you did great as well ! The low hanging bumpers are a bit more difficult and generally the damage will occur on your first 3-4 drives where it is still normal as you are still finding your momentum and throttle control as well. 

@Sherry Mathew Jacob the Jeep Grand Cherokee has lots of electronics. If you have questions about it, we have some amazing Carnity members around that know these vehicles very well, @Bretteis one of them. You did really great !

During the second part of the drive i wanted to explore a track which i had not done before yet. Soon we found majestic and enormous dune formations and we had some great fun meandering through them ! I had found an possible exit which went along a fence, but my satellite map forgot to tell me that there was sand and dunes blown over the track, which meant we had to go back inside a bit and re-route to find a cleaner exit. We exited at the Nahel Petrol station were we inflated and had a quick chat before heading home.

All in all a great morning with a bunch of great potentials ! I will be back in Sweihan soon and hope to be riding with you guys again !

Really enjoyed the drive, it was wonderful and thrilling for beginners like me, appreciate the support you guys provided, I have learned many things from this drive which will definitely enhance my desert driving skills in the future trips. Unfortunately my Lexus let me down with it’s low approach angle, I took it a local garage in mussafah, they have temporarily fixed it but most of the plastic clips in the bumper were broken so it doesn’t have the strength to take another hard impact, to my surprise the dealer quoted 3500 AED for the small plastic piece which came off , even though it is a useless accessory.  Off roading with the Lexus will be bad idea as it will dent my pocket as well :-).

I am in search for a on old model Pajero or path finder to use exclusively for off-roading. Hope to find to it soon as I really want stay active in carnity with such a great team. Thanks to all for your supports.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use