•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Al Bataeh Technical Challenge - Sharjah - 4 Jun 2021

Drive Brief

After last week's 1st @Carnity drive in Al Bataeh, it seems the interest for this new area remains high. This was meant to be an Extreme Drive, but due to the numerous requests, it has been downgraded to Intermediate level, in order to allow the widest participation. 

Every Carnity off-roader has driven multiple times around Mahafiz and Fossil Rock and is quite familiar with the area and the landscape. What almost no one knows is that just a few more kilometers north from that area is a wonderful stretch of terrain, quite technical and with a beautiful landscape, so little known that there are practically no tracks at all in this area even in the busiest off-roading days. A hidden gem, which however presents very, very technical, terraced dunes, with very unpredictable and very irregular layouts which seem to have been designed to challenge even the most experienced driver. Accordingly, this will be a carefully executed, slow paced, super focused, highly technical drive. 

We will start at 5:15am from the roundabout between Al Bataeh Road and E102 Sharjah - Kalba Road near Ibn Rashid village and head north-east, making our way through an area of very complex dunes and very soft sand, that will challenge to its limits the technical experience of an Intermediate Driver to overcome, especially considering that we will be making our way from the slip face: we will have to negotiate steep climbs, tight maneuvering spaces, sudden soft sand patches, daring passages that may lead to conquering the high grounds or force to surrender the low grounds sabkha. We and hopefully find a couple good spots for a photo stop and to enjoy beautiful views from elevated positions towards the sabkha on the north east side and the further dunes behind. If the convoy will be worthy enough, we will progressively make our way towards Khorfakkan Road, cross it via an underpass and continue our journey to eventually make our exit in Al Bataeh around 9:15am, completing this exciting drive in a completely new area.

20210528_054411.jpg.1fcc3f4b220863e8d3b553a04123595e.jpg

General Infos

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions 2.0

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: Ban Post

TWO WAY RADIO GUIDELINES

• Every Off-roader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

SUGGESTED READING: Carnity Two Way Radio Frequencies

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

Drive Details

Level: Intermediate and Above (All Levels)

When:  4 June 2021, Friday.

Meeting time: 5:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: Roundabout at the intersection of Al Bataeh Road with E102 Sharjah-Kalba Road - https://goo.gl/maps/jqJgB18J8xkuQg9t9

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and your own compressor for tire inflation.

Approximate finish time:  9:15 AM

End Point: Al Bataeh Road

Limited Spots Available:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT 

• Like (+1) 2

• Gaurav changed the title to COVID19 Compliant - Morning Extreme Desert Drive - Al Bataeh Technical Challenge - Sharjah - 4 Jun 2021

Thank you. I did miss this post. So it is 10 drives plus intermediate drives are necessary not 5 as mentioned here in as requirement.

• Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

3 minutes ago, Goutam said:

Thank you. I did miss this post. So it is 10 drives plus intermediate drives are necessary not 5 as mentioned here in as requirement.

Thanks for noticing. I had mistakenly left the old wording. Now it is updated. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Goutam said:

. So it is 10 drives plus intermediate drives are necessary not 5 as mentioned here in as requirement.

The 10 IM drives will qualify you for an Extreme Pre Qualification drive. Details of the same will be posted on the forum soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

The 10 IM drives will qualify you for an Extreme Pre Qualification drive. Details of the same will be posted on the forum soon.

Thanks @Srikumar…. That clears as having 10 IM drives alone will not be sufficient.

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks @Srikumar. I agree at least 10+ IM drives are absolutely necessary to qualify for an extreme drive. I joined @Luca Palanca Falsini's drive last week with 7 IM drives under me and it was not very pleasant in terms of refusals. I was surprised why he even selected me as the 2nd lead when there were other experienced extreme drivers whereas it was my 1st. Moreover I was apprehensive about pushing the car more higher up in those dunes when I had a bitter experience of differential breakdown just the previous week and got stuck inside for almost 10 hours mostly at night. I love the style of James Bond style car chases but let me be more confident and perfect my technique with more IM drives. The area I need more practice is controlling RPM under factory specifications as I doubt I broke the differential by exceeding speeds specified by the factory in lower gears to gain momentum. Just my hunch. I have @Ale Vallecchi's drive and @Chaitanya D's IM drives coming this week itself and let me try to perfect the technique of controlling the RPM when climbing. I have noticed when you drive in lower gear to climb higher once the RPM exceeds 6000 the ECM cuts it down maybe in another 10 sec. So I think once I initiate the drive it should be in 2nd gear rather than 1st and downshift once the RPM falls below 3000 to 1st gear to boost up. Climbing in 1st gear limits my downshifting option and I will be left without any more gears when I start to lose momentum.

• Like (+1) 1

• Lorenzo Candelpergher changed the title to CANCELLED - COVID19 Compliant - Morning Extreme Desert Drive - Al Bataeh Technical Challenge - Sharjah - 4 Jun 2021

Dear Desert Wanderers, 

Unfortunately out of the 3 RSVPs received for this drive (still an acceptable number), only @Tero Vallas qualifies at Exteme level, whereas @Abu Muhammad and @varunmehndiratta are still at Intermediate level.

Regretfully, the drive has to be cancelled: a new Extreme Drive will be planned for the subsequent weekend. 

Tech-Event-Cancelations-UC-Today.png.7dcb3e375e624031b65ae7e6d66608e4.png

• Like (+1) 3

• Lorenzo Candelpergher changed the title to COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Al Bataeh Technical Challenge - Sharjah - 4 Jun 2021

Important Information

Terms of use