•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Al Bataeh Technical Challenge - Sharjah - 4 Jun 2021

Totally Agree @Abu Muhammad . The heaviest cars had a task on their own to navigate with churned up tracks on tight manoeuvres. 
As for me , the Stuck happened as I lost momentum with cars having refusals ahead.  It was a nice challenge to find the right distance from the car ahead with balance of “can see the manoeuvre “  and “not get stuck due to loss of momentum”. 

@Lorenzo Candelpergher I did find the limits of my car!! Sailing through some of the areas which had refusals ahead does have sense of accomplishment.
The building heat and no airflow on strenuous self recovery heated up the transmission. M now researching some additional ways to control it.  The car was perfectly fine as we started rolling again. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Lorenzo Candelpergher a query - noticed that while you were deflating my tyres you had a valve stem removal tool and a gauge which could kind of measure pressure without fixing the valve core fully. It was a bit of rush time so not sure if i saw it well, kindly advice if my understanding is right and if yes, can you share the model details. Thanks 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi @Lorenzo Candelpergher a query - noticed that while you were deflating my tyres you had a valve stem removal tool and a gauge which could kind of measure pressure without fixing the valve core fully. It was a bit of rush time so not sure if i saw it well, kindly advice if my understanding is right and if yes, can you share the model details. Thanks 

Dear @varunmehndiratta, yes, you were correct. I was using a magnetic valve stem remover and a very normal pressure gauge. 

Here's how the valve remover may look like (they are very easy to find in any off-road shop or on Amazon - just make sure it is magnetic, which is a very important feature so you don't lose forever your valve stem in the sand..):

21qbCUFw69L._AC_SY1000_.jpg.4f488485950d9e17064229234e4a296b.jpg

And here's my pressure gauge (you can find it on Amazon). This one I selected it after several trials: very accurate (to 1/10 psi) even at low pressures, very practical as it has a light and back lit display (so you can easily deflate in the dark), very fast to use thanks to the long stem, which makes it easy to have a reading while pressing the gauge against the valve and to do the final fine tuning after you have already inserted the valve stem, by gently pressing the gauge against it for small adjustments. 

31ewMoyzJEL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.a770b61c090ea8e5889c15eb56b9fc18.jpg

To be clear, any pressure gauge will be capable of measuring the pressure in the absence the valve stem, as long as you press it well enough to let it seal the valve edges. The device above makes this very easy. 

If you deflate with these tools it will take around 45" per wheel (with your current 32" wheels), but it will take a bit of practice to learn how to do it (I suggest you try a few times at home before doing it in the desert, or you'll very likely find yourself reinflating your tires with your compressor after deflating too much). When I deflate my tires at 9psi, I remove the valve, wait for approx 25", then start checking the pressure until it reaches approx 10 - 9.5psi, then I put the stem back and do the fine tuning by toggling the valve with the gauge itself. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear @varunmehndiratta, yes, you were correct. I was using a magnetic valve stem remover (very important feature, so the valve doesn't fall in the sand..) and a very normal pressure gauge. 

Here's how the valve remover may look like (they are very easy to find in any off-road shop or on Amazon):

21qbCUFw69L._AC_SY1000_.jpg.4f488485950d9e17064229234e4a296b.jpg

And here's my pressure gauge (you can find it on Amazon). This one I selected it after several trials: very accurate (to 1/10 psi) even at low pressures, very practical as it has a light and back lit display (so you can easily deflate in the dark), very fast to use thanks to the long stem, which makes it easy to have a reading while pressing the gauge against the valve and to do the final fine tuning after you have already inserted the valve stem, by gently pressing the gauge against it for small adjustments. 

31ewMoyzJEL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.a770b61c090ea8e5889c15eb56b9fc18.jpg

To be clear, any pressure gauge will be capable of measuring the pressure in the absence the valve stem, as long as you press it well enough to let it seal the valve edges. The device above makes this very easy. 

If you deflate with these tools it will take around 45" per wheel (with your current 32" wheels), but it will take a bit of practice to learn how to do it. When I deflate my tires at 9psi, I remove the valve, wait for approx 25", then start checking the pressure until it reaches approx 10 - 9.5psi, then I put the stem back and do the fine tuning by toggling the valve with the gauge itself. 

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher i am using the same valve stem remover...didn't know can measure the pressure without adding stem core 😃😃 plus as you rightly indicated the long stem of guage is imp, have the yellow digital guage it's useless - not accurate and angle is pathetic especially when at night it's tough to read..will check this one on amazon...Thanks again...cheers 

• Like (+1) 1

These simple tools are amazing , once you become handy with it you can finish deflating and fine tuning with no more than Two min . The magnetic stem remover is excellent. I have the non magnetic one but I always keep few stems in my pocket just in case 😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use